Thread: I am about to purchase a 1999 E36 M3, need some more infos/help... please...

I am about to purchase a 1999 E36 M3, need some more infos/help... please...

Hi guys!

I've been lurking this site for quite a while, trying to gather a lot of information regarding E36 M3 before I am ready to make the purchase.

Currently, I am 85% ready to make the purchase for 1999 E36 M3. However, I still need some more information about E36 M3, particularly 1999 E36 M3. Based on numerous information that I gathered from this site as well as dtmpower.net, I concluded (please fell free to add/edit some more infos ):

1. No matter what, get the extended warranty.
    2. Before modding the car, know the characteristics of the vehicle by joining autocross, SCCA, BMWCCA, etc.
    3. Early stage of mods are:
    a. UUC short shifter.
    b. ECIS CAI.
    c. Get a pair of E36 aluminum rear shock tower mounts.
    d. Get the UUC tranny mount enforcer kit.
    4. Since I will join the autocross, SCCA, BMWCCA, I better install:
    a. E36 Rear swaybar reinforcement Kit.
    b. E36 Front subframe reinforcement kit.
    5. Oh yeah, get a complete set of clear lights

Am I missing something or anything guys? Please feel free to add or edit anything I really need more infos before I buy the vehicle.

Last but not least, do I need to replace the guibos and the center support bearings?

Thanks!
    Last edited by shkval; 04-12-2002 at 05:23 PM.

anyone?

Retired Original
    BIMMERFORUMS
    Administrator
    My Cars
    BMW & Lexus

Re: I am about to purchase a 1999 E36 M3, need some more infos/help... please...

You have made an excellent choice in cars!

I personally got the extended BMW warranty for my '99 M3 when I bought it new. That's up to the individual owner however depending on how long they plan on owning the car and how much, and what "type" of, driving they will be doing.

As far as the other stuff you've listed, it can be done at some point in time after you buy the car. I don't see what bearing it has on whether you buy the car or not. They all sound reasonable depending on what you will be doing with the car; tracking, looks, etc., etc. It's all a personal preference thing! I don't see where there is a need to replace the guibo and center support bearings you list however. You may want to consider changing the audio system...if you're into that. Again, it all depends on what you as an individual wants from there car... There is so many things you could possibly do that no one can really answer your questions.

Congratulations on choosing a great car...and also becoming a member of Bimmerforums.com!

Bob ///M3

Originally posted by shkval
    Hi guys!

I've been lurking this site for quite a while, trying to gather a lot of information regarding E36 M3 before I am ready to make the purchase.

Currently, I am 85% ready to make the purchase for 1999 E36 M3. However, I still need some more information about E36 M3, particularly 1999 E36 M3. Based on numerous information that I gathered from this site as well as dtmpower.net, I concluded (please fell free to add/edit some more infos ):

1. No matter what, get the extended warranty.
    2. Before modding the car, know the characteristics of the vehicle by joining autocross, SCCA, BMWCCA, etc.
    3. Early stage of mods are:
    a. UUC short shifter.
    b. ECIS CAI.
    c. Get a pair of E36 aluminum rear shock tower mounts.
    d. Get the UUC tranny mount enforcer kit.
    4. Since I will join the autocross, SCCA, BMWCCA, I better install:
    a. E36 Rear swaybar reinforcement Kit.
    b. E36 Front subframe reinforcement kit.
    5. Oh yeah, get a complete set of clear lights

Am I missing something or anything guys? Please feel free to add or edit anything I really need more infos before I buy the vehicle.

Last but not least, do I need to replace the guibos and the center support bearings?

Thanks!

Re: Re: I am about to purchase a 1999 E36 M3, need some more infos/help... please...

Hi Bob!

Thanks for the reply! I am still narrowing my choices since I found several 99 M3s and all of them have lower than 25K mi

Since I will buy a used 99 M3 (most likely from a private party), would that be possible to purchase an extended warranty through BMW dealer? And oh, I will be driving the car for just a little more than 3 yrs with occasional autox, etc .

Bob, the reason I listed "initial mods", I just wanted to feel safe ... I don't know... I guess I am just being paranoid

Again, thank you so much for your input! Much appreciated!
    If you have some more infos, please let me know... I am still gathering tons of valuable infos

Originally posted by Bob ///M3
    You have made an excellent choice in cars!

I personally got the extended BMW warranty for my '99 M3 when I bought it new. That's up to the individual owner however depending on how long they plan on owning the car and how much, and what "type" of, driving they will be doing.

As far as the other stuff you've listed, it can be done at some point in time after you buy the car. I don't see what bearing it has on whether you buy the car or not. They all sound reasonable depending on what you will be doing with the car; tracking, looks, etc., etc. It's all a personal preference thing! I don't see where there is a need to replace the guibo and center support bearings you list however. You may want to consider changing the audio system...if you're into that. Again, it all depends on what you as an individual wants from there car... There is so many things you could possibly do that no one can really answer your questions.

Congratulations on choosing a great car...and also becoming a member of Bimmerforums.com!

Bob ///M3

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16

Re: Re: Re: I am about to purchase a 1999 E36 M3, need some more infos/help... please

Originally posted by shkval
    I am still narrowing my choices since I found several 99 M3s and all of them have lower than 25K mi
    Be sure those mles weren't at the track!
    If you have some more infos, please let me know... I am still gathering tons of valuable infos
    [/B]
    Seriously, do a SEARCH here on specific topic. Lots of info exchanged here. Or you can just set the date back so that you can see and read all the discussions and you're sure to learn a lot.

Welcome and good luck with your M3. It's a joy to drive.... I'm finding new places to drive just so that I can!
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

Re: Re: Re: Re: I am about to purchase a 1999 E36 M3, need some more infos/help... please

Hi! MauiM3Mania

Thanks for your input!

2 candidates of 1999 M3 cought my attention. One of them (with ~23K mi) claimed that the car is curently owned by a 75 yrs old gentelman - he is the original owner, and never been to the track, and the car is in an excellent condition. The other 1999 M3 (~22K mi), the current owner is the 2nd owner of the car, also claimed that he never took the car to the track. However, there is an X-brace installed on the car?? :

And yep! I've been using SEARCH to answer specific questions that once I had in my mind so far, that SEARCH worked like a charm
    By the way, once I narrow my choices to specific cars (1999 M3s) I will bring each car to the shop and do a compression test as well as leak test and I will let you guys now what's up

Originally posted by MauiM3Mania

Be sure those mles weren't at the track!

Seriously, do a SEARCH here on specific topic. Lots of info exchanged here. Or you can just set the date back so that you can see and read all the discussions and you're sure to learn a lot.

Welcome and good luck with your M3. It's a joy to drive.... I'm finding new places to drive just so that I can!

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Check out http://www.eurospeed.org ... there is a E36 M3 FAQ there. Plenty of good information.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

Hi Kevlar!

Yes, I already checked that site too! tons of useful infos over there

Originally posted by Kevlar
    Check out http://www.eurospeed.org ... there is a E36 M3 FAQ there. Plenty of good information.

anyone care to add something or anything?