Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *Xtec HIDs*

My Cars
    '92 318iS Mauritiusblau

*Xtec HIDs*

Thinking of getting the Xtec HID kit from understeer.com, but can't decide on the colour temp. So could you please post pics of this kit with 4500K, 5000K and 6000K in ZKW's? A side-by-side comparison of the three would be best ofcourse, but guessing there aren't any pics like that?
    And how much shorter is the expected bulb life on H1's compared to H7, would I be better off getting a H7 kit and converting the headlights to make them fit? Don't wanna spend $150 on new bulbs in a year..
    Also has anyone had any problems with this kit? Don't care about OBC failure messages, just any other problem you may have come across.
    Thanks

My Cars
    01 BMW Z3 3.0, 02 Honda Civic EX (Show Car)
    I have the Xtec HID kit on my civic, h1 kit for my projectors, with 5k temp.

How much you paying? I might be able to get them for you cheaper...my friend sells them

My Cars
    E53 X5, E36 328i
    Talk to Matt at Umnitza, he'll beat any price that you can find for Xtec. Personally I would go for 5000k or 6000k if you want more *bling*. The 6000k are a bit more bluish/purple. Also, I'm pretty sure they come with something like a 1 year warranty so I wouldn't go through the trouble of converting to H7.

My Cars
    '92 318iS Mauritiusblau
    Quote Originally Posted by jagerbomber
    I have the Xtec HID kit on my civic, h1 kit for my projectors, with 5k temp.

How much you paying? I might be able to get them for you cheaper...my friend sells them
    Understeer sell them for $290 included shipping, think he can beat that?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan328i
    Talk to Matt at Umnitza, he'll beat any price that you can find for Xtec. Personally I would go for 5000k or 6000k if you want more *bling*. The 6000k are a bit more bluish/purple. Also, I'm pretty sure they come with something like a 1 year warranty so I wouldn't go through the trouble of converting to H7.
    Will do, and will also have a look around the web first to see how cheap they get
    Want good light output but also want it to be a bit bluetinted. Thinking maybe 4500 will be a bit too white but 6000 will be too blue and not give so much light, and 5000 will be perfect. But would like to see pics of them all before I decide, don't want it to look like crappy HID look bulbs..

My Cars
    E46iT, MK6 TDi, Z31Chump
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phatman
    Thinking of getting the Xtec HID kit from understeer.com, but can't decide on the colour temp. So could you please post pics of this kit with 4500K, 5000K and 6000K in ZKW's? A side-by-side comparison of the three would be best ofcourse, but guessing there aren't any pics like that?

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=277604

My Cars
    507whp 318i
    Yeah I'm pretty sure that understeer has the best price. I'm like you though, I can't pull the trigger untill I see the pictures of the 5000k. Jagerbomber... could you maybe post come pics?

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 1966 Mustang 2+2 - 2003 Z4
    And how much shorter is the expected bulb life on H1's compared to H7, would I be better off getting a H7 kit and converting the headlights to make them fit?
    The bulbs are actually all D2S on the HID kits, only the bases are different, so there's no longevity difference between them.

Don't wanna spend $150 on new bulbs in a year..
    Not a concern, Xtec bulbs and ballasts now carry a lifetime warranty
    www.understeer.com
    Your source for:
    Stromung|UUC|Eurosport|Hawk|H&R|Koni|Apexcone HID|Short Shift Kits|and more
    UUC Evo3 SSKs are IN STOCK - free 2-Day shipping!

My Cars
    507whp 318i
    I have Depo euro ellipsoids.... and I was wondering if the Xenon bulbs can fit right into the hole for my current h1's.. ( the spot where you have to clamp the metal wire into the hooks to secure the bulbs against the housing)?

My Cars
    '92 318iS Mauritiusblau
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmer95
    The bulbs are actually all D2S on the HID kits, only the bases are different, so there's no longevity difference between them.
    D2S? Will they fit perfectly in the H1 bases of the ZKWs without any modifications then?

Excellent!

My Cars
    D2S? Will they fit perfectly in the H1 bases of the ZKWs without any modifications then?
    D2S with H1 bases. Typically you need to notch the metal backing plate on the ZKW's projectors slightly with a Dremel to allow the bulbs to fit in perfectly flat. Very easy to do, takes about 30 seconds. On my ZKWs I notched one side and left the other stock to see if there would be any difference in pattern or light output, both sides looked identical. So it's sort of your call whether or not you notch the plates, if/when you have the headlights out, do it.
    www.understeer.com
    Your source for:

My Cars
    '92 318iS Mauritiusblau
    D2S with H1 bases. Typically you need to notch the metal backing plate on the ZKW's projectors slightly with a Dremel to allow the bulbs to fit in perfectly flat. Very easy to do, takes about 30 seconds. On my ZKWs I notched one side and left the other stock to see if there would be any difference in pattern or light output, both sides looked identical. So it's sort of your call whether or not you notch the plates, if/when you have the headlights out, do it.
    So it worked fine on the side you didn't mod? Would prefer to leave them standard so I can just change back if I get stung for having illegal HIDs, or if I sell the car. Plus I don't have a Dremel so would make it much easier for me

My Cars
    So it worked fine on the side you didn't mod?
    Yup, perfect, there's no visable difference between the two. Regardless notching the plate doesn't effect your ability to reinstall standard H1 bulbs later on.
    www.understeer.com
    Your source for:

My Cars
    '92 318iS Mauritiusblau
    Yup, perfect, there's no visable difference between the two. Regardless notching the plate doesn't effect your ability to reinstall standard H1 bulbs later on.
    Will decide what to do when I get them then, thanks for your replies
    Also does the free shipping offer include international orders?

My Cars
    Also does the free shipping offer include international orders?
    Not quite, but I'll factor in the difference between domestic and international shipping.
    www.understeer.com
    Your source for:

My Cars
    '92 318iS Mauritiusblau
    Not quite, but I'll factor in the difference between domestic and international shipping.
    Okay, could you find out the shipping costs for one HID kit to Norway?
    Thanks

My Cars
    +$25 for Express Mail to Norway. Email/PM me for payment info and availability.
    www.understeer.com
    Your source for:

My Cars
    '92 318iS Mauritiusblau
    PM sent.

Now back to the original post, has anyone got pics of 4500K and 5000K? Have found loads of 6000K pics so won't need that anymore.

My Cars
    '05 Ram 1500
    PM sent.

Now back to the original post, has anyone got pics of 4500K and 5000K? Have found loads of 6000K pics so won't need that anymore.
    lol, yea I wana see some 5000k also. Some of the 6000k pix in that other thread seemed mroe white than others? Why is this? Do they whiten up a bit after warming up?

My Cars
    M5, E61
    Understeer sell them for $290 included shipping, think he can beat that?

Will do, and will also have a look around the web first to see how cheap they get
    Want good light output but also want it to be a bit bluetinted. Thinking maybe 4500 will be a bit too white but 6000 will be too blue and not give so much light, and 5000 will be perfect. But would like to see pics of them all before I decide, don't want it to look like crappy HID look bulbs..
    yes, we can.

My Cars
    '92 318iS Mauritiusblau
    Quote Originally Posted by umnitza
    yes, we can.
    You have PM

My Cars
    ///M s52
    And how much shorter is the expected bulb life on H1's compared to H7, would I be better off getting a H7 kit and converting the headlights to make them fit? Don't wanna spend $150 on new bulbs in a year..
    Also has anyone had any problems with this kit? Don't care about OBC failure messages, just any other problem you may have come across.
    Thanks
    '

I have problems, they started to flicker, now they go out and take a long time to warm up, if they work at all.

$150 for bulbs, where did you find that?

My Cars
    ///M s52
    I can't even drive at night because my xtec lights do not work properely. I got them from the Mrclam gp less than a year ago

My Cars
    98' 328i, 91 318is
    I want to go for a purple look, would 6000' K be best? YOu can get a HID kit for around 300!!!!

My Cars
    '92 318iS Mauritiusblau
    Quote Originally Posted by ClubSport332ti
    $150 for bulbs, where did you find that?
    Was just guessing how much they are. Have no clue what they cost, just that they're fairly expensive

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by ClubSport332ti
    I can't even drive at night because my xtec lights do not work properely. I got them from the Mrclam gp less than a year ago
    Contact Xtec or the US importer (xtecusa.com) for a RMA. The lifetime warranty offer is fairly recent, but they should've been covered by at least a one year warranty when you bought them. Regardless Xtec is constantly improving their product, so you should have absolutely no problems with the current generation of their kit.
    www.understeer.com
    Your source for:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast