Thread: So i have a spare set of headlights and some cathodes......

My Cars
    ///Sedan Powered.

So i have a spare set of headlights and some cathodes......

I just can't resist screwing with things.

Anyone who is a personal friend on the boards knows i own a lighting company for Lexus (only! i hate working on BMW's). That doesn't mean i can't screw around with my inventory when i get bored. I decided to grab some of my spare cathodes and an old headlight assembly and see what i could come up with.

I ended up mounting the cathode INSIDE the lens rather than outside. It actually is a very clean look. When they are off, you can't tell they are even in there, until you turn them on All stealth like

I figured if i wanted the absolute cleanest look with a little surprise in them, this might be a neat trick. Turned out pretty well actually. Too bad these will never go on a car. I have ellipsoids and rings, so these are just going back in the closet. I thought it looked pretty neat though, being as you can't tell they are in the headlights no matter how hard you look, until you turn them on.

BTW this post timestamp gives me ownership, before a company (aside of mine, which i won't) actually tries to mass produce this .

Last edited by one; 11-13-2004 at 05:27 PM.
    Smell that? ......German leather and palm sweat.

My Cars
    2K M Roady, '86 944T
    cool beans. talk about thickness...

Rob - 2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster | 1986 Porsche 944 5.3L LM4

My Cars
    1992 E36 320i
    Yeah, thick! New idea though..

My Cars
    2K M Roady, '86 944T
    it would look better on some zkws.

Rob - 2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster | 1986 Porsche 944 5.3L LM4

My Cars
    Hellrot
    Unless you can sell these for dirt cheap and provide install mounts and instructions, alot of people have beat you already.

Can't find the pic now but there is an angel eye photo with the ccfl look like frigin neon tubes, clean and nice, very vivid (not sure if it is the camera/p chop but...) . The one in you pic just looks too fat and dispersed, espically with xenons they would look sloppy, just my opinion though.

Good luck with the progress.

My Cars
    ///Sedan Powered.
    lol, i am definately not going to tap the BMW market in any way, shape or form. I have my hands full with the Lexus guy's. I just wanted to play with the stock headlights a little. My bimmer is my hobby, all in fun.

BTW, that plastic headlight cover is nasty cloudy (as most aged one's are) so you will get a lot of dispersion.

My Cars
    Hellrot
    that's probably why. the one's in your sig look excellent.

On a side note, since you have cold cathode ray tubes in your possession and since you have experience with them (know how/capability to shape them), you should probably see if you can find a color as close to the oem color as possible, like the ones on the previous 5, new 5 and the x5. The oem color is by far the best and most subtle with an aggresive/mean look. Heck I would buy one right away.

Not sure if you can make them small enough or last as long with fast light up but you might be able to replace the bubls in the oem/aftermarket tail lights and te markers. they would very nice I think. But you might want to check to see if they do infact last as long. I mean how hard can it be to make them about 2inches in length and put them in the brakes, blinker, hell with a proberly set up inverter housed in the oem tails you can sell the ccfl as a bulb that just plugs into the plugs for the inverter all located in one area in the housing. I can already imagine it.

Anyway good luck.

My Cars
    1999 M3 Coupe
    in the last picture, only the cathode is lit right? not the low beam? that's BRIGHT!

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbullet
    in the last picture, only the cathode is lit right? not the low beam? that's BRIGHT!
    just looks more like light trapped inside the beam instead of being able to get out :P

My Cars
    ///Sedan Powered.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbullet
    Yes. IF the low beam were turned on, it would function as normal, as the Cathode is just big enough not to obstruct the lens. I crunk the voltage a little on the last pic up to 13.8 from 11.6

My Cars
    ///Sedan Powered.
    Tried some blue one's a minute ago just for sh*ts and giggles....

bad idea.