Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vanos replaced.... other things(update)

My Cars
    mid engine

Cool Vanos replaced.... other things(update)

got a call from my tech about the m3 today....

Vanos on the 95 M3 is bad.... going to be replaced. thank goodness i bought a warranty when i purchased the car in november.

she has 95xxx miles on her..

dropped redline tranny and differential fluid in it while at the shop.

fixed the altenator cooling hose, power steering hoses (not the pressure one) that was causing vibration in the steering wheel and whiney humming sound when in 1st or 2nd gear slowing down.

The vanos was annoying though... the marble in the can sound will be no more... im excited. What was cool about this was this time, through peoples help in different forums, i was able to dictate the problems to the tech instead of just describing what the car was doing... ie: check timing chain tensioner or possible vanos replacement.. dead on advise from you guys. thanks. plus it sounds like the customer knows what is going on and the tech or mechanic wont dick around feeding you BS.

Brent

24 Porsche Cayman S 6spd (Allocation recvd 11/3, Due in U.S. 5/24)
    09 GLI TSI 6spd
    95 M3 (3/94) Never forgotten
    redacted

My Cars
    '93 325is, '04 G35 sedan
    man i am wating on a back order of parts to have my vanos replaced. called my mech and he said "hopefully" parts will be in by the end of this week. they were suppossed to be there last week. but i know what u mean when u got o a mechanic with confidence in telling them whats most likely the problem.

M3 cams *UUC stage II lwfw w////M5 clutch *JC cam & lwfw chip *ECIS intake *Bosal cat back *UUC udp's *M3 3.15lsd *M3 shifter *H&R & Bilstein sport *E46 M3 rsm *Z3 rein4c plates *Depo DDE's *Zender lp *M3 spoiler *M3 moldings * M3 mirrors *billetwerks *jbl/mtx sub system
    '04 G35 sedan 5AT all stock

My Cars
    mid engine

Thumbs down i hate that

waiting on parts.... picking the car up and then taking it back when certain parts come in....

i dropped my car off monday morning.... and hopefully i will pick it up Tomorrow afternoon.

09 GLI TSI 6spd
    redacted

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328is, 2004 Acura TSX
    Alright, I don't know much about VANOS other than it is something kind of like VTEC, so, what exactly is it and where is it located on the engine? How long does it usually last?
    <font size="1">1997 328is w/ sport package, 5-speed, Arctic Silver, Black Leather.
    2004 Acura TSX, Arctic Blue Pearl, Black Leather, 5-speed auto.
    Mods and more pics are on my website.

</font>

My Cars
    '93 325is, '04 G35 sedan

Re: i hate that

Originally posted by Brent_Hockey
    waiting on parts.... picking the car up and then taking it back when certain parts come in....
    i dropped my car off monday morning.... and hopefully i will pick it up Tomorrow afternoon.
    yeah thats why i kept it out the shop so i could still drive it and wait for all the parts to come in. now im waiting on bumpers to get painted. its been 3 days already and no real progress on the bumpers. they said they found another chip they have to fix cause my rear bumper above the molding was chipping.
    keep us updated on the outcome, if it fixes the problem or not.

and to answer your question vols: the vanos is the valve timing system that operates your valves opening and closing timing for optimal engine perormance during different rpms, so that your hp or tq doesnt just fall off at certain points. it is underneath that section of valve cover that usualy needs painting, like in hyperions thread .
    Last edited by jesd325is; 04-11-2002 at 12:23 PM.

M3 cams *UUC stage II lwfw w////M5 clutch *JC cam & lwfw chip *ECIS intake *Bosal cat back *UUC udp's *M3 3.15lsd *M3 shifter *H&R & Bilstein sport *E46 M3 rsm *Z3 rein4c plates *Depo DDE's *Zender lp *M3 spoiler *M3 moldings * M3 mirrors *billetwerks *jbl/mtx sub system

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328is, 2004 Acura TSX

Re: Re: i hate that

Originally posted by jesd325is

yeah thats why i kept it out the shop so i could still drive it and wait for all the parts to come in. now im waiting on bumpers to get painted. its been 3 days already and no real progress on the bumpers. they said they found another chip they have to fix cause my rear bumper above the molding was chipping.
    keep us updated on the outcome, if it fixes the problem or not.

and to answer your question vols: the vanos is the valve timing system that operates your valves opening and closing timing for optimal engine perormance during different rpms, so that your hp or tq doesnt just fall off at certain points. it is underneath that section of valve cover that usualy needs painting, like in hyperions thread .
    Thanks man!
    How much is it costing you to replace yours, and how many miles do you have? I haven't quite hit 50k yet, so I'm hoping that won't be for a while!!
    <font size="1">1997 328is w/ sport package, 5-speed, Arctic Silver, Black Leather.
    2004 Acura TSX, Arctic Blue Pearl, Black Leather, 5-speed auto.
    Mods and more pics are on my website.

</font>

My Cars
    '93 325is, '04 G35 sedan
    im at almost 90k, which isnt too bad compared to most 93's out there. i have an aftermarket warranty covering it, but the total came out to about 445 for parts and labor. it should be 100 more but the warranty place is only covering 3.5hrs labor instead of the 5 my mechanic was quoted froma bmw dealership. so luckily my mechanic is working with me on that and not making me fork over the dough.

My Cars
    mid engine

Angry GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Tech said today that the warranty that I have will not cover Vanos. He thought it would've in the first place and now I talked to him today and he said Wynn's Warranty said no.

Here is what my warranty states it covers:

Engine - crankshaft and bearings, oil pump, internal timing gears or chain, camshaft, camshaft bearings, valve lifters, rocker arm assemblies and push rods, valve guides, pistons and rings, wrist pins.... so on and so forth.

IS Vanos not under there somewhere???

Brent

i also posted this in the general discussion area

09 GLI TSI 6spd
    redacted

My Cars
    '93 325is, '04 G35 sedan
    heres what mine says:
    Engine- Cylinder block, cylinder heads, and all internal parts. Cylinder head gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, and manifolds.Valve train and covers. Camshaft and timing drive components and so on.
    i highlighted what i think was important to allow for vanos coverage. that is jacked up. they could have given u a heads up b4 this sucky news. the only thing i have to pay is tax and a 100 deductible. btw mine is a 4yr unlimited mileage warranty from secured capital managemement.
    Last edited by jesd325is; 04-11-2002 at 06:06 PM.

My Cars
    mid engine

my warranty

http://www.wynnsusa.com/warranty/9M4210lr.pdf

36 month/45,000 miles Enhanced Coverage with A/C

no deductable on parts or labor.

It's definately covered under Timing GEARS. I think I will have to have a talk with Wynn's or legal action will follow.

09 GLI TSI 6spd
    redacted

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 1966 Mustang 2+2 - 2003 Z4

Re: my warranty

Originally posted by Brent_Hockey
    [BIt's definately covered under Timing GEARS. I think I will have to have a talk with Wynn's or legal action will follow. [/B]
    Just like any other "insurance" company they tried to deny the claim the first time. They figure if you give up and go away then they've saved some $$$. I'm quite sure if you call and scream enough they'll pay it so you'll go away
    www.understeer.com
    Your source for:
    Stromung|UUC|Eurosport|Hawk|H&R|Koni|Apexcone HID|Short Shift Kits|and more
    UUC Evo3 SSKs are IN STOCK - free 2-Day shipping!

My Cars
    '93 325is, '04 G35 sedan
    i was lucky that there were things i had already had replaced, like my flexdisc, so my mechanic opened a claim for those items too and got me my money back. hopefully youll get a better answer tomorrow

My Cars
    mid engine

Angry picked up the car......

The car runs good.... seems a lot stronger and sounds more ballsy...

however, there is still a little marble in the can sound when deceleration close to idle in grear.......... is this just normal now? its not as bad as it was and the car does feel different.

im still pissed off about the warranty bit.... it wont be over until i say its over. i'll keep ya update through out the process.

have to go back up there to fix my door panels.... they are loose and rattle a little.

09 GLI TSI 6spd
    redacted

My Cars
    '93 325is, '04 G35 sedan
    i have that stupid sound through the whole rpm range, from when i start the car until i turn the damn thing off. well parts are in but will have to wit until wednesday to change them out. paint shop still as the car anyways(bastards)i hope it all ends in your favor

My Cars
    mid engine

Thumbs up Issue Resolved---Vanos

Talked to Wynns Warranty again...told them this was the final time they would hear from me and that the next step was the State Attorney General's office.

Check will be mailed as soon as they get a copy of the bill.

They were confused with the Power steering leak and Vanos. there was a communication breakdown between the adjuster and the guy at the shop that runs the desk (scheduling appts and taking messages).... I had my tech call them today and school them about Vanos and what it means for future reference. lol

:

09 GLI TSI 6spd
    redacted

My Cars
    96 328is Sprt Pkg
    nice

My Cars
    '93 325is, '04 G35 sedan
    congratulations. this thread just reminded me to call my mechanic to schedule in wednesday for the vanos replacement

My Cars
    mid engine

Smile Vanos replacement

the car, in my opinion is a lot stronger in 4th and 5th gear.... AND there is more of an exhaust rumble... I think it has helped a bunch.

im happy it was replaced..... the only thing is that there is still a rattling sound but as i have read, that is just VANOS and theres nothing u can do about it.

the sound is nothing like it was... very barable.

seat covers should be here next week.... JC chip will be ordered within a few weeks...... then Dinan CAI will be next.

09 GLI TSI 6spd
    redacted

My Cars
    '93 325is, '04 G35 sedan
    my mechanic showed me how a good vanos should sound, (it was from a ///M3 too), but it did have a small rattle when he left off the throttle. but it was a small sound compared to the constant tic i have. the noise lasted maybe a couple seconds at the most, so i think that is what ur hearing. i hope i have as good a luck as u brent.

My Cars
    325is
    Funny, I've been following this thread for the last few weeks...and then my VANOS starts acting up. Go figure. My 325is seems to hesitate, there is a rattling sound from the VANOS, and it pings, plus the dealer said it is bad, so I guess it is time for a new one. Anyway, from what ya'll said I'm not sure if the pinging is part of the problem??? I run 93 octane too, so it can't be gas. I'm currently waiting for parts(4 days now)...We shall see.
    mistah kurz--"the diamond geezer"

03 M3

My Cars
    '93 325is, '04 G35 sedan
    i got my car back from the shop an hour ago. noise level was greatly reduced , and all i mainly hear now is the spark plugs,lol. i freaked out for a while when smoke came from under the hood. it was just oil that spilled from the engine when the parts were removed, no biggie, just a scare luckily. havent gotten on the car so i dont know if there was an improvement besides decibel levels

My Cars
    06 GTI 2.0t, 00GTI VR6
    hoe much $$ to replace the vanos?

My Cars
    mid engine

Unhappy mine Vanos was........

$500 total for parts and labor (rate $75 per hour). let me get my bill......

3 hours labor totaled $225
    and parts was $290.

Jesd..... yeah, i can hear the vanos a little just like yours... they say its normal... mine sounds more throaty and feels to have more power, what about yours????

... I am very happy with the results.

09 GLI TSI 6spd
    redacted

My Cars
    325is
    So the dealer finally got the VANOS parts in, but when they took it apart they said I just needed the solenoid to be taken out and cleaned? Anyway, I got my car back and they did not charge me.
    Things are back to normal...Auto Strasse in Ann Arbor rocks.
    mistah kurz--"the diamond geezer"

03 M3

My Cars
    G20
    does any one have the part number for the vanos unit?
    THanks
    -Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast