Thread: Keys not turning while in ignition...

My Cars
    97 M3/4

Keys not turning while in ignition...

My mechanic had recommended that the "ignition tumbler" on my 97 M3 be replaced. This is supposed to be a common occurence on BMWs (again!!!).

When I insert my ignition key and turning the ignition, 1 out of maybe 8 times I would encounter no resistance (the key will just turn around without ignition). I would normally just re-insert the key and it would be fine.

My mechanic warned me that if the tumbler breaks off completely, i would not be able to start at all and be stranded.

Any of you guys have this problem before? I take my car to a reputable shop here, who works on a lot of BMWs.

I was quoted 190$ to replace the thing.

Another way out of this is to get myself a remote starter. This way I don't need to use the key. Anyone did this before?

-E-

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    it happens all the time... the plastic tab at the back of the thing breaks off and you're stuck.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    97 M3/4
    Did this happen to you before? how much did it cost you to fix?

Thanks,
    -E-

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    hasn't happened to me *knock on wood* but many E36 people have this problem. try searching the archives for "key*" and see what comes up...
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    '98 M3/4,'08 E90M3
    The main thing is to be careful when you first try to start your car. You have to make sure that the steering wheel is unlocked before applying a lot of torque to turn the key. Just work the steering wheel back and forth while trying to turn the key gently until the wheel unlocks - you can then easily turn the key in the ignition.

My 98 M3 is at the dealer right now having the tumbler switch replaced, the key would not turn at all just like yours, its been at the dealer for almost a week and probably won't be ready till friday because they had to order the part . luckly this happened at the tail end of the warranty.

David

My Cars
    '08 LS460; '16 NX200t
    A valet was moving my car, took my key out and the car was still running! Couldn't turn it off using the key, it would turn only slightly and that's it. Had to disconnect the damn battery to shut it off, and then couldn't start it again. Was still under warranty so everything was covered, including the tow to the dealer.
    2008 Lexus LS460
    2016 Lexus NX200t
    PUREVIP
    Island Elites - West Coast Elites
    Team Airrex
    ClubLexusHawaii
    2002 540iA Sport (SOLD)
    1998 M3/4 (SOLD)

mmm

it happened to me and I brought it to the stealer and they charged me $800.96 and I had to buy a new battery because my car was stuck on acc mode when it happened car wouldnt turn off but wouldnt turn completly on: : : :
    www.TEAM-BLUR.com
    TEAM BLUR REPPIN
    SAN DIEGO , RIVERSIDE , LAS VEGAS , TEXAS , AND THE BAY AREA

My Cars
    97 M3/4
    Looks like it is a common issue..... why does my car had so damn many common issue? and they all break after the warranty period.: : :

So far I had the water pump, impeller, radiator head, door lock actuator, this ignition tumbler.... and another extra: my driver side power window....

and my aftermarket warranty only covers very little portion of the parts that broke.

Any way to start the car after the tumbler breaks off? (like hotwiring it or something) so I can save the trouble of calling tow car?

-E-

Can anyone tell me if you insert a key partially and then twist the mechanism will spin free? I've had this happen a couple times on accident, but if I insert the key all the way within 180 degrees it catches. I've never had the mechanism spin when inserting the key properly, and I can get it to spin free on partial insertion every time. I'm just wondering if this is some sort of 'feature' or an indication that the tumbler will be dead soon. - Beau
    Last edited by Beau; 04-09-2002 at 01:39 PM.
    '95 M3, Dinan supercharged

My Cars
    M5, E61

Re: mmm

Originally posted by BLuReDoUtBemMeR
    it happened to me and I brought it to the stealer and they charged me $800.96 and I had to buy a new battery because my car was stuck on acc mode when it happened car wouldnt turn off but wouldnt turn completly on: : : :
    I will bet my car on this - well almost - that you took it to SF BMW!
    I was in dire need of an oil change about 5 months ago and dropped in to see if they could fit me in - I was going to spend the $60 to have them do (synthetic)....they not only wouldn't match ConcordBMW, they also told me that the "cheapest" they would do it was $139 : I literally told them to "stuff it"

As for the key turning - two suggestions have already been made - tumbler may be broken and jiggle the wheel to ensure that it's unlocked.

Two I'd like to add - when the key is not completely inserted or is at a weird angle, my key will definitely "spin" without any resistance. But, when it catches, it just starts the car. I've never had a problem, once started to turn it off.

The second is the alarm. If my alarm has set off a warning or simply gone off, I will have a hard time getting the lock to "catch" Usually, turning it over and over - more than 4 - 6 times will enable it. Or, arming and disarming the alarm has worked on two occassions.

Hope that helps...$190 actually seems reasonable becasue it's probably @ least a 2hr job.