RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Ignition tumbler issue....and remote starter

My Cars
    97 M3/4

Ignition tumbler issue....and remote starter

My mechanic had recommended that the "ignition tumbler" on my 97 M3 be replaced. This is supposed to be a common occurence on BMWs (again!!!).

When I insert my ignition key and turning the ignition, 1 out of maybe 8 times I would encounter no resistance (the key will just turn around without ignition). I would normally just re-insert the key and it would be fine.

My mechanic warned me that if the tumbler breaks off completely, i would not be able to start at all and be stranded.

Any of you guys have this problem before? I take my car to a reputable shop here, who works on a lot of BMWs.

I was quoted 190$ to replace the thing.

Another way out of this is to get myself a remote starter. This way I don't need to use the key. Anyone did this before?

-E-

My Cars
    GTS3 E36, 97 M3/4/5
    I had the tumbler replaced under warranty.

What happens is this.... there are two plastic tabs that hold the tumbler in place. If someone forces the ignition to turn, the tabs break... so the car can't be stolen. However, the tabs also wear... leading to the key spinning in the tumbler.

If you push the key all the way in, it will work fine.

Get it fixed. They will have to order the new tumbler from Germany. It takes about 1 week to get it. It will take them less than 45 minutes to swap them out.

Later,
    John.

My Cars
    97 M3/4
    Did you get it replaced before it broke off completely? I'm just wondering what I can do to start the car had the starter break completely.

Looks like the remote starter is not worth the hassle and money. Might as well get this tumbler fixed....

-E-

My Cars
    GTS3 E36, 97 M3/4/5
    Yes, it was replaced before it broke completely. This is a common BMW 3 series event.