RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Power Steering Problem.....

My Cars
    '02 WRX

Question Power Steering Problem.....

Ok, heres the situation, the car will run fine when i first start it up, everything is in perfect working order. Then after some driving (15-30 minutes) the steering wheel becomes hard to turn past a certian point. It will handle routine turns fine, but when attempting u-turns and other sharp turns at low speeds the wheel becomes very hard to turn. Its hard to describe, but if anyone has any insight it would be appreciated.
    '02 WRB WRX
    ESX StG 2+

My Cars
    Bernmobile
    Sounds like the fluid level is low. Is there noise associated with the hard turning?

The reservoir is located in a somewhat difficult-to-reach spot, kind of under the intake system. The cap has a dipstick built into it though.

Good luck,
    Bernman

My Cars
    '02 WRX
    ya, checked the fluid, the level was fine but it was sort of a murky grayish color, is that normal? There is a bit of a groaning sound.....
    -Thanks for the help
    '02 WRB WRX
    ESX StG 2+

My Cars
    '99 323ti, '20 X5
    Try changing the fluid. Murky gray sounds bad. It's ATF, so it should be bright red. Drain it out and put in some synthetic ATF and see if that helps any.
    -Bungy.

1999 323ti
    2005 530i 6-speed
    2020 X5
    2013 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    Bernmobile
    The groaning sound is the fluid cavitating, probably in the pump. The "murkiness" is the result of the cavitation, and maybe some other contamination. This is usually because the fluid level is low, and air is allowed into the system. Since your level is ok, it must be something else. (like junk in the fluid?) Try changing the fluid like Bungy suggested. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

Good luck,
    Bernman

My Cars
    '02 WRX
    Ok guys, thanks for the help. I changed the fluid which did look rather nasty compared to the new fluids. Unfortunately im still having the same problem. Im about out of ideas and nobody else seems to have any idea what the problem could be. You guys have any other thoughts before i drop some cash to take it to the Stealer?
    THANKS!!
    '02 WRB WRX
    ESX StG 2+

My Cars
    96 328is Sprt Pkg
    independant shop

NOT THE DEALER

My Cars
    '02 WRX
    Ya i know, the only problem is that most of the Independent places around here suck. The closes respectible shop that i know of is South Bay Independent, which is a good hours drive away from my house, plus its tough to get your car in without an appointment, is it worth it to wait, of should i just take it to the Stealer and have it taken care of ASAP??
    '02 WRB WRX
    ESX StG 2+

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe - 2014 435i
    How hard was it to change the PS fluid and what brand did you replace it with?
    Thanks
    -Joe