Thread: Got new rims!! Does this affect the factory tire pressure sensor??

My Cars
    '03 M3, '03 745Li, '91Toyota MR2

Got new rims!! Does this affect the factory tire pressure sensor??

Hey guys,

I just got some new rims on my E46 M3!! My car has that tire pressure sensor option... is there something between the tire and rim of the stock wheels I need to bring over to the new set? That would suck if I did...

My Cars
    BMW/Jeep
    No. The tire pressure monitoring is done through the same sensors that handle DSC.

My Cars
    Range Rover HSE
    Nammy,
    What rims did you get?? I just got rims too, some HRE 540's

2008 Range Rover HSE

Past:
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2010 Ski-Doo Renegade X
    2009 Ski-Doo Renegade X
    Yamaha Apex
    2003 LX470
    2003 FX45
    2001 M3, Dinan Software, Eisenmann Sport 83mm, Painted Fog Rings, Pansonic In Dash DVD, JL10W3v2's

My Cars
    '05 CB M3
    There is actually a metal piece on the OEM rim that a sensor picks up on. After I put my aftermarket rims the flat tire sensor light went on for awhile then it turned off.

My Cars
    BMW/Jeep
    Quote Originally Posted by 808M3
    There is actually a metal piece on the OEM rim that a sensor picks up on.
    I don't know who told you this but they were wrong.

My Cars
    tb151,
    I got 19" Breyton Visions. Where in Boston are you? I've probably seen you around. Mine's the dark blue one... who's spoiler has been stolen.

My Cars
    '05 CB M3
    Bren

Thanks for setting me straight. So how does the DSC sensor work? Where is the pick up for the DSC sensor? then why did the flat tire light turn on when I changed my rims? Just wondering.

My Cars
    BMW/Jeep
    Bren

Thanks for setting me straight. So how does the DSC sensor work? Where is the pick up for the DSC sensor? then why did the flat tire light turn on when I changed my rims? Just wondering.
    The DSC (ABS) sensor is on the hub.

Did you get a different size tire/wheel combo? Sounds like the rotational size was different enough to set it off. Has it come back on since you reset it?

My Cars
    '05 CB M3
    I had OEM 19s and replaced with typical 19x9 19x10 RD RS2s.
    Funny thing is after about 1 month it went away and never came back!

My Cars
    01' S54 M Roadster, Uber
    There is actually a metal piece on the OEM rim that a sensor picks up on. After I put my aftermarket rims the flat tire sensor light went on for awhile then it turned off.
    That is wrong, the tire pressure monitor system measures the rate at which the wheels turn/spin. When tire pressure is lost, the wheel will spin/turn at a different rate. Thats when it goes off with the flashing light. When tire pressure is significantly lost, you will hear a beep/audio alarm. There is no sensor or metal piece. If your light goes on after the new rims are put on, find the button on the dash and hold down until you reset the tire pressure monitor system. The light will turn off.

My Cars
    Black
    Almost.

If the light is on, go check your tire pressure, cold, to make sure its where you want to be.
    Then turn the key to the 2 position, which is the detent that makes all the idiot lights go on, and stop before you crank the motor over.
    Press and hold the TP switch until it goes out.
    Press and hold the TP switch until it illuminates amber again.
    Wait until the light goes out on its own.

Now your TP system is armed and recalibrated for the current tire pressure. Check your tires weekly, more if you race. Recalibrate each time you do.

FWIW, even some dealer mechanics don't know how the system works. When I had my car in for the finish work on my euro exhaust, the "motorsports" manager from the dealer called me to tell me my TP light was on. He wanted to know if that had been happening a lot since I got my AC Schnitzer rims.

I said no, "And did you check the tire pressure?"

No, he says, "Uh, we figured it might have something to do with the aftermarket wheels."

Then he calls me back to tell me yep, it was the tire pressure.

Gee, the tire pressure light goes off and you call me before you check the tire pressure?

My Cars
    Range Rover HSE
    Nammy,
    Im in Newton... Use to live in Brighton right by the do it yourself car wash on Market street near the old school dunkin donuts with the Neon Sign...

2008 Range Rover HSE

Past:
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2010 Ski-Doo Renegade X
    2009 Ski-Doo Renegade X
    Yamaha Apex
    2003 LX470
    2003 FX45
    2001 M3, Dinan Software, Eisenmann Sport 83mm, Painted Fog Rings, Pansonic In Dash DVD, JL10W3v2's

My Cars
    I used to live right down the street from there on Faneuil Street!! haha Small world.

My Cars
    Oh yeah... and I live in Newton now too. Where did you go to high school? What year were you? I was at NNHS 2000.