RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Possible Low Beam Failure with HIDs clean fix

Possible Low Beam Failure with HIDs clean fix

The car: 96 M3, w/ ellipsoids
    The HIDs: Giantlights 6000k, Phillips ballasts, no idea what bulbs.

I installed this kit in to my ellipsoids using the ellipsoid connector for the low beams, meaning I cut the 900? stock headlight connector to hook in to the round wiring harness.

Works fine, no low beam failure.

Today I decided to eliminate some wiring by using the old stock 900? connector to plug in to the ballast. I now get the low beam failure.

Has everyone who had the LBF notice plugged the 900x connector directly in to the ballast?

I would have tried hooking it up the old way using the ellipsoid wiring however I've run out of time. I'll try this in a day or two.
    Last edited by mrhmmhmm; 03-30-2002 at 06:45 PM.

My Cars
    '08 LS460; '16 NX200t
    I have the Phillips 4300k HID kit on a 98 M3 sedan, using the normal wiring method using the 9006 connectors. I also get the LBF message.
    2008 Lexus LS460
    2016 Lexus NX200t
    PUREVIP
    Island Elites - West Coast Elites
    Team Airrex
    ClubLexusHawaii
    2002 540iA Sport (SOLD)
    1998 M3/4 (SOLD)

My Cars
    99 M3 Cab RIP, 2013 X5 M
    Since the Xenons only pull 35 watts, the On Board Computer gives the LBF message because it thinks that a bulb has blown. The stock 9006 bulbs run at 55 watts. Of course, this is only one of the many explanations of why it gives the error. Consider it an unsolved mystery of the E36 world.

There's also another explanation that deals with the wire not properly insultated, thus arcing(?) with the car's metal frame. I'm not an electrical engineer, so I can't really explain it in Americanese.

Do a search on "beam failure" and you'll see wide variety of answers to this mystery.
    I drive a jeep. An old jeep, so nobody will say I'm driving a BMW anymore. I couldn't stand that BMW, ha ha ha! BMW make pure trouble! -Bob Marley

Well.. I wasn't really trying to get confirmations that I'm not the only one with the LBF error, I know this occurs.

What I'm asking, is that for those who do NOT use the 9006 connector, do you NOT get the LBF error? (as I did before going the 9006) route.

And, for those who get the error with the 9006 connector, have you tried it using the standard H1 cabling?

My Cars
    2007 Acura MDX, 2001 Accord V6
    I purchased the SPP kit last year (Euros with Hids installed). I cut off both high and low 900x connectors, and used both grounds into one pin hole and wired the high, low and city lights to the other three.

After blowing the fuses because I forget to change them (too excited to turn them on first), I have only gotten the LBF once, when a wire came loose and the drivers side Low Beam was actually not working.

Once I recrimpted the wires, I have not seen the message since.

Car is a 98 M3/4.
    Ron

My Cars
    99 M3 Cab RIP, 2013 X5 M
    Hmmm. that might be worth a shot. I'm gonna try that. Thanks, guys!
    I drive a jeep. An old jeep, so nobody will say I'm driving a BMW anymore. I couldn't stand that BMW, ha ha ha! BMW make pure trouble! -Bob Marley