Thread: Help: car won't start after power steering fluid fillup

My Cars
    E30(sold *3), E36, E46

Help: car won't start after power steering fluid fillup

1992 325i (auto) with 130k miles won't start up now.. it turns over but dies pretty immediately after what seems like a start.

It was driven, parked... and power steering fluid was very low so it got filled. Then the starting problem appeared.

I'm thinking that the fuel filter, air filter, and sparks should be checked as well as vacuum leaks. But it seems a bit of a coincidence that the problems happened right after the power steering fluid got filled (BMW ATF)
    No drippage onto other components as far as I know.

Any ideas!?!?!? Could air have been trapped somehow into the power steering system when it was low or something??

Thanksl.

My Cars
    Bernmobile
    My guess would be that something got disconnected when the fluid was refilled. The reservoir is not exactly easy to access. It's been a while so I can't remember exactly what is around that area, but it is worth a look.

Good luck!
    Bernman

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328is

Talking

I bet someone removed something like the idle control valve, etc., to get to the steering fluid canister thats under all that stuff..
    Just to add fluid to my 97 328is, I usaully unhook and unplug the ICV and set it aside for easy access to the canister. Im not sure if your 325i has the can in the same area..

I seriously doubt anything within the power steering system can cause this problem. Just sounds to me like someone removed/moved some stuff to get to the canister really easy. Check all the stuff around the throttle body, make sure it is all plugged in tight.. Get out a bently, start checking to pics to make sure all the hoses and stuff are in the right place..
    -Robert

97 BMW 328is - cosmos blk/blk - 2door - 5speed - sport package

Shark Injector - Cosmos Racing CAI - UUC Clutch Stop - UUC Underdrive Pulleys - UUC Delrin Shift Carrier Bushings - UUC SS Clutch Line - UUC TME Red - UUC Stainless Steel Brake Lines - MZ3 SSK - Bilstein Sport Shocks - Eibach Prokit Springs - 96+ M3 Offset Strut Mounts(swapped) - 96+ M3 Rear Sway Bar -
    96+ M3 Control Arms - 96+ M3 LCABs - E46 M3 RSMs - X-Brace - Turner RTAB Limiters - Turner Brass Caliper Bushings - Fan Delete - Rear Shock Tower Brace -

My Cars
    E30(sold *3), E36, E46
    Haven't found anything loose or dislodged yet.. double and triple checking :/

My Cars
    2017 M3, 95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I bet someone removed something like the idle control valve, etc., to get to the steering fluid canister thats under all that stuff..
    Just to add fluid to my 97 328is, I usaully unhook and unplug the ICV and set it aside for easy access to the canister. Im not sure if your 325i has the can in the same area..

I seriously doubt anything within the power steering system can cause this problem. Just sounds to me like someone removed/moved some stuff to get to the canister really easy. Check all the stuff around the throttle body, make sure it is all plugged in tight.. Get out a bently, start checking to pics to make sure all the hoses and stuff are in the right place..

If he was just adding fluid he wouldn't have needed to remove anything on the 92 325i. Just take the top off and fill. I pretty sure fill up and the problem was just a coincedence. How was the car running before this happened? Could be your Mass Air sensor went out. Try disconnecting it and starting/running the car this way. Had similar problem and found out what it was after $1500 in troubleshooting. Ended up being the MAS. Found out by disconnecting and car running fine. When was the last time you changed your O2 sesnsor??

My Cars
    '01 Porsche Boxster '93 BMW 325i
    I had the exact same problem when I changed my airfilter. I just reseated the filter and all was well. So I think it is probably something very very simple in your intake section.

My Cars
    E30(sold *3), E36, E46
    O2 sensor: I don't think it was changed in a long time,car has 130k miles.
    Will look at the air filter and Will try disconnecting the mass air sensor.
    No fault codes using the Ignition 1 +5 full presses of the gas pedal within 5 secs method for OBDI.

Thanks!
    Last edited by bmwsmurf; 10-06-2004 at 05:25 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328is
    lol thats a really sucky spot to put the steering fluid canister.. i need to get a funnel with a really long spout on it so i dont have to remove shit to add some juice..
    -Robert

97 BMW 328is - cosmos blk/blk - 2door - 5speed - sport package

Shark Injector - Cosmos Racing CAI - UUC Clutch Stop - UUC Underdrive Pulleys - UUC Delrin Shift Carrier Bushings - UUC SS Clutch Line - UUC TME Red - UUC Stainless Steel Brake Lines - MZ3 SSK - Bilstein Sport Shocks - Eibach Prokit Springs - 96+ M3 Offset Strut Mounts(swapped) - 96+ M3 Rear Sway Bar -
    96+ M3 Control Arms - 96+ M3 LCABs - E46 M3 RSMs - X-Brace - Turner RTAB Limiters - Turner Brass Caliper Bushings - Fan Delete - Rear Shock Tower Brace -

My Cars
    E30(sold *3), E36, E46
    Disconnected the the MAS from the engine intake and car still won't start. I guess I have to check fuel delivery (fuel pump, fuel filter) and maybe spark plugs now?

Thanks.. mechanic I'm not that's for sure!