Thread: 95 M3 sunroof problem

Question 95 M3 sunroof problem

Hi everyone. Does anyone have any experience with the inner workings of the M3 sunroof? I've developed a problem that I'm trying to figure out.

If I open or close the sunroof, the headliner slides forward and back like it should. If I open the roof with tilt mode, the headliner part no longer slides part-way back as it used to. I can push it back and forth by hand. It seems as though whatever used to "grab" onto it to move it around has broken. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rob
    95 M3

here is the answer you didn't want to hear:

there is no easy or cheap way to fix this. This is extremely common - if you search the archives you will find a lot on this.

Someone has a website with a pretty good write-up on taking apart the sunroof-but it is a fairly daunting task.

I have become used to living with this - if you get yours fixed PLEASE let me know how.

good luck,

Tim

My technician says that there is a small white plastic piece on the driver's side that controls the headliner sliding when tilt is engaged. I'll let you know if I find the link, or other info out.

Your 3.2l OBD1 engine intrigues me. I've always wondered how everyone is doing it? Was it Big $ and labor? I imagine so.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Rob

it was some real $$$ you are looking at $5,000 to $10,000 depending on how crazy you get (i was on the higher side).

I blew an engine last season and had little choice. TMS did the work, I am ok with a wrench but can admit that this was waaay over my head - just the equipment alone never mind the time would have killed me...

the car is fantastic with the new engine, tons of torque down low with all the high-end HP i was used to!

$10k is half the value of my M3 these days! That will fall under the "not gonna happen" category for me!

Rob