Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: how many speakers does my car have??

My Cars
    r.i.p 98 323 convertible...2001 330 ci convertible

how many speakers does my car have??

how many speakers does my car have?? and what size are they??

i have a 98 323 i convertible

thanks

My Cars
    no body knows???

My Cars
    '98 328i/4

Re: how many speakers does my car have??

Should be 10, 6 up front w/3 on eahc side, and 4 in the back w/2 on each side.
    1998 328i/4 Boston Green
    X-Brace, Eibach Pro Kit/Bilstein Sport, M3 Rear Sway
    BMW Traffic Pro - a/d/s P650.2 & 3.45is - JL Audio Stealthboxes[/size]

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon

10 is factory for the 323 coupe and vert.

I tore out my factory speakers and replaced them with 6.

4 = MB Quart Q components
    2 = JL Audio 8W0 (stealth boxes)

-Ron

Hey man, I'm a professional!

My Cars

anyone know what size they are???

5.25 maybe??

My Cars
    '98 328i/4

5.25" in the kick panels, 3" and .75" in the front doors

2 pods in the rear w/a 4" and a .75" in each
    1998 328i/4 Boston Green

My Cars

thanks

My Cars
    1987 M6, 2014 M5

Lightbulb Re: how many speakers does my car have??

stylzs - not sure if you want suggestions but a few things to note:

All of this applies to E36 'verts as I know them (i.e. it worked for my 98 328iC)...

1. replacing the 5.25" in the kickpanel is simple - note that you only need to turn the locking screw 90 degrees. It takes some pushing and pulling to get the panels off - other threads address this. Once it's off, it's four screws and done!

2. replacing the tweeter in the door is less simple - mainly due to the wiring harness change and really mostly due to the actual mount of the tweeter. The wiring harness change in itself is not so tough - brown stripe is negative/ground - hardest part is taking the deep breath to cut the factory connector free. I installed some infinity 5000cs's and had to dremel the heck out of the factory screens to get the tweeters to fit - eventually went so far as to hack the factory mount to make a "collar" for the infinity's (the infinity stock collar is exactly the same size as the hole in the door, so the speaker would fall in/out of the hole - but maybe if you have more patience than I do you can work something else out). Note when taking the door apart that the passenger side has an extra torx screw in the "door handle" that the driver side doesn't.

(BTW - changing the nokia stock speakers out for the 5000cs's was the best thing I've done to my car. They rock.)

3. getting at the rear speakers is best accomplished by (gently) pulling forward on the leather mid-section ("side armrests") in the rear. Yes, the screens can pop out of this section, but you won't have access to the mount. Pulling out the armrests gives full access - and removing the mount involves taking out four screws and disconnecting the harness. I replaced my rear 4" with infinity 4002I's and while they aren't as satisfying as the 5002cs's, they are still and improvement over stock. Installing these would be tricky - as the speakers are glued in pretty well and the leads need to be soldered into the mount. I say "would" as I slacked off and had circuitcity do it for me. Primarily because I'm on the road and have no access to my toolbox. They did a good job, btw.

4. I completely slacked for the subwoofer deal and bought the Infinity Basslink from bavarian autosport, as they made a harness for me (someone will probably whine about the $200 premium being stupid, but for me it was worth it vs. my time and again lack of access to tools). Minor difficulty in installing this involved getting the rear headrests out to be able to remove the rear seat (rock them forward and back and they'll come up). MAJOR difficulty was getting the factory harness disconnected from the factory AMP. I worked on it for a long time, even going to the point of disassembling the amp (don't bother, the connection is shielded), and finally popped the connector off by using two awls to pry the tabs loose.

BTW - if you're installing one, I'd advise routing the remote wiring through before buttoning everything up. The sub rocks, but my personal taste is for *musical* bass - and some cd mixes have the bass boosted to distortion. The remote should help to manage that.

I'm personally looking to install the infinity REF3002CF in the door panels to replace the mids when I get a chance. Don't know if they will fit. But I'll post that separately...

Haven't replaced the amp yet, and not sure if I need to - the system sounds pretty good now, and I'm not hurting for power.

Good luck - it's worth it.

BB
    Last edited by bigbilly; 10-01-2004 at 01:56 AM. Reason: btw - this is for an e36 'vert
    BigBilly
    1987 M6 Cinnabar Red (I think) / 2014 M5 Alpine White / 1998 328iC - sold
    Hey everybody - it's been a while. Glad to see BF.com is still thriving.
    Any pointers on care and feeding of an E24 are appreciated.

My Cars
    E36, E6, G80

How many does a 98 328i sedan have? It's the HK system

-Robert

My Cars
    '98 328i/4
    10, same layout as above
    1998 328i/4 Boston Green