Thread: Need opinions/advice on alloy wheels for winter use

My Cars
    2004 325i sport pkg -- 2001 VW Passat GLX 4-Motion

Need opinions/advice on alloy wheels for winter use

So, living in northern Vermont leaves little doubt about the necessity of winter tires for my '04 325i w/spt package. I'll go with dedicated rims as I like the flexibility of installion and removal at my convenience. I've narrowed down my choices to the following:

1) Dunlop Winter Sport M2s on steel wheels w/covers from the Tire Rack for $694 delivered.

2) Dunlop M2s on Rage Vigor alloy wheels from Discount Tire Direct for $772 delivered.

Price is a consideration as Dunlop M2s on alloys from the Tire Rack run close to $1000. I won't use this car much during the winter, perhaps 1000 miles, but I definately need to put winter rubber on it.

Is it foolish to install alloy rims for winter use as far as price and maintenance are concerned? And should I just suffer the indiginity of wheel covers on steelies? Any comments on Rage alloy wheels? All feedback appreciated.

My Cars
    E92 335i
    I run reproduction BMW style 44 alloys with Blizzak LM-22's on my 323 in the winter, and ASA AR1 alloys with Dunlop Winter Sport M3 tires on my 528. Been through several winters and all are still like new.

Each car is driven about 1000 miles over the winter. Steelies suck, it's not like you have to buy new wheels every winter, IMO it's worth spending the money to get what you want - otherwise you'll just be kicking yourself every winter...
    I spent most of my money on cars and beer... The rest I pretty much wasted.

My Cars
    bMW 330i

What wheels are those Slow 323- nice!

l

My Cars
    E92 335i
    The wheels on my car in my signature are 18" ASA AR1's.
    I spent most of my money on cars and beer... The rest I pretty much wasted.