Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: How To: Read Compressor Maps

My Cars
    e30 318iS
    Sound. That now makes sense to me! Was getting myself a bit confused over that

My Cars
    ZHP

Supercharger map

It's been a long debate about Rotrex SC efficiency and MAX boost for M54B25/B30 engines. Can anyone teach me how to read the chart for supercharger compressor on the example below, Rotrex C30-94?
    C30-94 flow chart.jpg

My Cars
    93 325iS
    Its not even max boost, its RPM. Calculated from crank/sc pulley size.

My Cars
    E36 332i Compact
    I would say that C30-94 is way to small for a 3.0l engine ...
    please find attached a calculation for a 2.9 engine and the biggest Rotrex available - C38-81
    If you have any questions about how was calculated - feel free to ask
    Best, Bogdan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ' 99 E36 316i Compact, 83kw

My Cars
    82 S10, 84 Camaro
    Here is a question I did not see answered. How do you read the maps if you are use two turbos? Would your values be halfed?
    Heres what I have and why I am asking, my current build up is a Small Block Chevy 383, getting two turbos, one running off of each exhaust bank. I'll be running a max of 15 psi, and according to the Airflow Chart Def made, at 2k I will need 25lbs min, and up to 6k I will need 77lb min with a PR of ~2.1. Also, this is with it running at 80% VE.
    So, for each turbo, the values I should be looking at will be 12.5lbs at 2k and 38.5lbs at 6k correct with a PR of ~1.5?
    Or would I half the boost, and calculate each turbo running at 8psi which did come up with different numbers.
    Also, I know a single turbo is more efficient, but this is the plan!

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Pressure Ratio will be the same(i.e. boost pressure is the same at each turbo outlet), but you are correct in that total flow is cut in half for 2 turbos. 80% VE is pretty conservative for a turbo engine with a favorable intake/exhaust pressure ratio and a reasonably sized cam. At least it is that way with most modern 4V/cylinder heads. SBC's tend to have a more narrow efficiency window due to packaging/head constraints, but I'd still think you could get it a bit better than 80% at 6k RPM.

Twin turbos make a lot of sense for a V engine, so you'll get no arguments from me on your plan!

My Cars
    2 x '90 318iS
    thanks for putting this together....gave me a good insight on how to read the maps....now i can go somewhere and work out how much power i want to make and what turbo to get
    - Chris
    Track my race car buildup here - http://forums.eurocca.net/showthread.php?t=30668

My Cars
    e30, 68 deuce
    good stuff DEF!

My Cars
    97 M3
    Absolutely great info !! Thanks Def !

and the spreadsheet is really the best !

I guess it doesnt really matter for those of you who are running a turbo already , you can select a different sized one .......

But it would be very interesting to see some of the new turbos maps(comp wheels) in comparison ....

and then see when a bmw engine( not a 2.0 liter) will work with them

My Cars
    82 S10, 84 Camaro
    Thanks a lot Def, thats what I figured.
    I figured I would go conservative with my numbers so that way I will be less likely to be disappointed or expect too much out of the engine.
    I think I'll try to find a turbo that has a map that will fit in the ranges of 80% to 100% just to be safe, then afterwards play around with different turbos based on how well these work out.
    If you have any tips or pointers I would greatly appreciate.

My Cars
    3.0 Euro M3, 328is track
    First off sorry for asking what will is probably a stupid question. Reading the first post and looking at the lines you have drawn on the compressor maps. I understand the horizontal lines are drawn at the desired pressure ratio and that you started off on the x axis with the corrected flow given at 2000rpm in your spread sheet. What i don't get is how you calculate at what gradient the line goes from the x axis to your pressure ratio line? Is it related to the constant speed lines or calculated through the turbine maps?

My Cars
    97 Eclipse
    Can Someone Email The latest version of the spreadsheet to me? (after the data uplink ban)
    Aetro4@gmail.com
    Thanks

My Cars
    very nice write up.

Thanks!!!
    "If you can leave black marks from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." --Mark Donohue

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Wtf

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    Sorry but i can't understand it......

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789