RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Installing new rear springs, do I NEED to remove drive axle??

My Cars
    14 335i

Exclamation Installing new rear springs, do I NEED to remove drive axle??

The Bently manual says to remove the drive axle from the final drive and suspend it from the chassis with stiff wire before removing shock and lowering the suspension arms to remove the spring.

Is this really necessary? It looks very tough to get to and remove. Can't I just compress the spring a much as possible first, remove shock, and pull out the old spring without removing the drive axle?

Then compress the new spring, insert it, replace shock, etc

What is likely to happen if the suspension drops too low with the drive axle still connected?

Anyone how has replaced their springs themselves, PLEASE let me know how you delt with this situation.

My Cars
    Pokeball
    NO, you don't need to remove drive axle,,, a 1.5 foot lever bar will help you extract the rear spring.

My Cars
    everything
    I installed my springs...it aint that hard, just takes time if you don't know what youre doin...I removed the shock and then compressed the rear springs and pulled it out, then compressed my drop springs and put them in...buy a spring compressor from ebay or somethin, makes the job a lot easier
    1992 BMW 318i 154k miles
    Short Shift Kit, 17" BBS, painted brake caliper
    1992 BMW 325i 89k miles...smoked out corner lights

My Cars
    14 335i
    thanks for the replies.

one another thing, any suggestions on how to remove the top center bolt from the shocks without having the shaft twist inside the shock body as you try to unscrew the bolt?

My Cars
    96 M3

i did remove the shafts

like the bently said it wasnt that hard.....probably added another 30 min to the install time

Removing center nut on struts:
    Break the nut loose using a rattle wrench BEFORE you compress the spring. The spring tension helps keep the shaft from rotating.

BUT - only break the nut loose! Then compress the spring and remove the nut the rest of the way.

I did not remove shafts on rear, but did need to use pry bars and an extra set of hands. Kind of violent when it pops out....
    But if you're putting in stock or stock length springs, you will need to drop the shafts.

My Cars
    96 328is Sprt Pkg
    reviving thread

can I remove the rear spring without removing the rear shock? and without removing the drive axle..

easiest way is? spring compressor? pry bar?

My Cars
    14 335i
    Supposedly you can remove the spring without removing the drive axle, however you do need to remove the shock.

Once the shock is off, make sure the e-brake is OFF. now you should be able to push down the control arm enough to pull/pry/compress the spring out of there.

I dunno how you could use a spring compresser in there, the one I rented was way too big to fit in there and do any good. I've heard a pry bar can work.

becareful not to push down too much and damage the dirve axle joint.

My Cars
    BMW
    Just undo the bottom bolt on the shock. It took me not even 2 minutes to get the springs out. Having a really strong friend helps alot!

My Cars
    96 328is Sprt Pkg
    hmm

so undo bottom bolt.. pry down to try and get spring out... hopefully remove spring and pop in newer?

Correct.
    But you will likely need a couple prybars to get the stock spring ends over the locator nipple in the control arm. I use one to pre-compress the spring and another to lift the small coil over the locator. All this while someone else is levering the control arm down.
    I suggest wearing leather gloves (pinch protection) and eye protection (flying dirt particles).
    Shorter springs will slip in pretty well without as much prying.

My Cars
    1996 M3 lux, 1988 325
    The shock must be unbolted from at least the bottom. Otherwise you will never get enough travel in the suspension to remove the springs.

As for removing the half shafts, it is a good idea to do so. Why? because you don't want to inadvertently separate a CV joint. They are a bitch to put back together. I put one back together for a friend's VW before. Not to mention you could tear the dust boot. There isn't much room to get a spring compressor on the rear springs so you will just have to force them out. No prybars needed.

Disconnecting the sway bar helps too.
    == Stable mates ==
    -1996 M3 Lux, bright red (hellrot), Modena interior. Aus Freude Am Fahren!

-1988 325, Alpenweiss. The commuter.
    BMW HOWTOs

It seems to me like it requires alot of physical strength. I was just curious does anyone know how much would the labor cost if it were to be install by an automotive technician? (Whole Set)
    LaujPhem

My Cars
    Jenna and Gina
    for the full set of springs to be installed [front and back], you're lookin at around $400 at a reputable shop. [that price is labor only]
    F'Sho-

Prices for installing springs will vary wildly - mostly determined by how badly an installer wants to avoid doing it. The less he wants to do it, the more he will charge in the hopes you'll go elsewhere!

It should only take 2-4 hours to do well. If he is charging you more than 4 hours of his shop labor rate, he's signaling he has done it before and doesn't want to go there again...

My Cars
    '95 Cosmos M3
    you can borrow a spring compressor from autozone - they have a tool library - check it out
    Current: '07 VW Fahrenheit GTI; 2010 BMW s1000rr
    Past: 2003 M3, 6M, Steel Grey, Koni Yellows
    2012 Triumph Thruxton
    1995 M3, Cosmos on Black Vaders
    1993 325i Sport and Cold weather (limited slip!) packs, 5M

My Cars
    97 Hellrot M3 Coupe
    Is there a writeup online anywhere on how to install new springs/shocks on a 98 M3. Also the Bentley manual is in the mail, but i would like to have as much information as possible.

Thanks
    Lee