Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Ryobi Buffer

My Cars
    WRX

Ryobi Buffer

Alright guys, don't buy the Ryobi orbital buffer from Home Depot... they are pure ...! My mom bought one a few weeks ago so that we could do her car up right when I came out for spring break. So I slap some polish on the bonnet, start out on the hood and in no more than 5 minutes the thing started lagging. I was like "what the hell??" but I kept on going. Just about to finish the hood off when the thing gets REAL slow and then all of a sudden DIES. All the damn thing does is humm.... so we take a trip to Home Depot, exchange it for another one, and the second one doesn't work RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX. All the piece of crap does is hum!!! Don't buy one of these things..... they are nothing but a big piece of .....!
    Last edited by shogun; 06-06-2017 at 10:02 AM. Reason: swearing words removed

My Cars
    318ic, 318is
    Thank you for the heads-up.

It's appreciated.
    <i><font size="-1">Go <a href="http://www.geektimes.com/michael/techno/wheels/bmw/1997-318ic/">topless</a>; wear <a href="http://www.geektimes.com/michael/techno/wheels/bmw/1995-318is/">leather</a>!</font></i>

My Cars
    1997 328i
    sorry for the old thread but just was looking at one at Home Depot today. I think you just made my decision for me.
    "A fast car does not make a fast driver"

My Cars
    M3 Buildup
    porter cable man youll never look back

My Cars
    1991 BMW 535i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Driiven View Post
    porter cable man youll never look back
    Except when you go to a rotary

A PC is definatly the best tool for the average joe who doesn't want to be concerned with damaging their paint!

My Cars
    E39540i E60535 F10535i
    The PC is a must have. I have the Ryobi and have had no problems for the year that I have owned it. I use it on my Bikes since the area is so small. Sounds like they had a bad batch in that store. I have the corded version, and purchased the cordless version for my pops for fathers day last year and it works for him as well. When it works, it is good....

I just realized how old the original post is.... Wow.......
    Last edited by SHWELL; 05-10-2007 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Wanted to......
    The Harder I work, the better I live!

My Cars
    1997 328i
    I know. Only 6 months after 9/11. That is a long time ago.

back to orginal thread. After researching some more, I think I am going to just buy the PC 7424. I found on online for $109 Rather just pay more now and have something I can have for years.
    "A fast car does not make a fast driver"

My Cars
    Yes
    I have a older Makita one (Maybe 8 years old now). No problems with it at all

My Cars
    imolarot 2001 M3 Convertible, 2006 Jetta 2.5
    Man, that sucks! I've done several cars with my 6.5" Ryobi with no problems, and my brother has been using his even longer than I. Definitely takes a little longer to break down Optimum Compound than a PC, though.If that happened to me, though, I'd be just as pissed and most likely be on the phone with Ryobi, instead of bothering Home Depot about it.

My Cars
    '97 540i, '10 Vette GS
    I saw that one there too when I went in looking for the PC. Sales guy said he could special order the PC but I should really consider an alternate model he had in stock. Yeah, no thanks!

Hopefully, all you lost on the deal was time to and from HD.

04/1997 Build Date. 84,000 miles. Mods limited to black BMW roundel front license plate, wheel locks and an M5 rear trunk lip spoiler. 12" Kicker sub and amp in the trunk.

My Cars
    08 335i
    A lot of people consider ryobi tools disposable. My uncle is a carpenter and uses all ryobi cordless tools because it is cheaper to buy a new tool then a battery for a good tool (Like a dewalt drill for example)

My Cars
    E39540i E60535 F10535i
    Def true about them being disposable... I paid $39 for the 18V buffer and spent the same amount for 2 batteries and then another 25 for the charger (All b4 I knew about PC). I still use the ryobi on a regualr basis. I just used it 2day.

Now for the money the Ryobi is not bad at all. It is not for the perfect detail job, but it does a damn good job of buffing..
    Last edited by shogun; 06-06-2017 at 07:21 AM. Reason: non working pic links removed 2017
    The Harder I work, the better I live!

My Cars
    gmc sierra denali 2500 h
    Hey Kyle K., I have been detailing vehicles for over 25 years and you never use a buffer to apply any type of wax on a vehicle. For that you use the polishers that the rotation is at 35000. A buffer is used for buffing after the wax or polish has been applied but I have arrived at the point of not using a buffer at all because of the swirl marks that are the result of a slow rotation speed. A digital polisher from Ingersoll Rand is just the tool to do the job. GOOD LUCK!

My Cars
    s52 e30, e36Ms, e46M
    WTF? 8 year old thread bump
    Check out my details and paint corrections!

www.theautospallc.com

My Cars
    E36 M3
    And horrible advice as well!

My Cars
    e10, e30,e85,UCK41, r56
    Quote Originally Posted by speedster View Post
    WTF? 8 year old thread bump
    8? Try 13.

'06 Tundra - Toy Hauler -- '89 325is, 24v Track Rat --'76 2002, Summer wannabe DD/restomod thing -- '03 Z4, GI Joe Roadster playset -- '01 R1100S, Beemer -- '07 Mini Cooper S -- '10 328xi

My Cars
    s52 e30, e36Ms, e46M
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    8? Try 13.
    I was going off of the last post
    Check out my details and paint corrections!

www.theautospallc.com

My Cars
    2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Oh Really ???

I am not sure if you realize this BUT the Battery may need to be charged. I have found that the Ryobi Batteries are a pile of $hee it.... They do not always hold charge and ( well there are other problems I have found with the batteries. That is why I am switching to Porter Cable &/or Ridgid ( But then that is just me, IMHO )
    Good luck
    I have one and it works great. No problem, right out of the box. In fact I am looking for a second one for my son.

You did not say if you tried a different battery or charged the one you are using, that ' big piece of $hee it....... '

My Cars
    Lots
    The kit sold by Griot's Garage, nuff said.