RM European Auto Parts

Thread: My car wont start

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe - 2014 435i

Unhappy My car wont start

Last night after just driving my car all night with no problems, I stopped and parked my car to eat for a little while. Well when I went to go start my car again, it wouldnt start! The lights turned on, the radio was working, everything was working, but the car just wouldn't start. I was going to have it towed but my friend asked me if I wanted to try to push start it, so we tried that and got it to turn on so I could drive it home. So now its just here at my house and it wont start. Is it my starter? When I turn the key to try to start it, it makes a very low quick tick noise, just one tick, thats it. Any help would be appreciated...thanks.
    -Joe

Home: Bay Area, California |||| College: UCSB
    Hmmm... normally the starter solenoid would keep making a continuous quick loud {tick tick tick tick tick tick}. Since it only made one I figure you either have really low juice (check battery) or some type of starter problem. Since this happened somewhat recently after your engine swap, you may want to consider going back to the shop and asking them for help (or just blame them ).
    - Jon, '93 325is

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe - 2014 435i
    Thanks for info. I'm not going back to that shop again because the mechanic really doesnt know too much about BMW's. When
    I first got my car back, it was hesitating alot which ended up being the IVC (idle valve control)...but he told me that I needed to change my intake manifold to a 95 M3 one and throttle body, take the Euro HFM off and put the stock one back on, and take the AA chip out...this is the advice that a BMW mechanic told him. All I said was ok and left, knowing damn well I wasnt going to do what he said. After just a little of research I was able to confirm that the intake manifold and throttle body from e36 92-95 are the exact same part #'s so it would be pointless for me to buy a new one and I wasnt going to take the HFM off and and the chip because I paid for that shit to work on my car.

Well after that my car was still hesitating a little that day when I drove it home from the shop and I was pissed. Later on that day I went to go pick up my little borther from school and the car was running fine all of a sudden. I think the main problem was the ECU getting to know the new chip and HFM. Since then, my car has been running great.

Sorry for the long ass story but that mechanic made me mad and I'm ever going back there again. I'm going to try to jump start my car in a little bit to see if that works. Thanks again.
    -Joe

Home: Bay Area, California |||| College: UCSB
    Remember to actually check the battery - measure the voltage across it if you have a multimeter and see what the electrolyte level is. If it is the OEM battery, I have a feeling it is on its last leg.
    - Jon, '93 325is

Anfanger is correct. How old is the battery? I changed mine, even though lights and other items seemed to work. Just wasn't able to hold a good charge to start the "large" engine we have.

One way to check, have the lights on and try starting. Lights dim way down? Time to change the battery.

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe - 2014 435i
    Thanks guys. I dont know how old the battery is but I've had the car for a little over 2 years now and I've never changed it. I havent tried to jump start it yet but I will as soon as my cousin comes by. I dont have a multimeter to check the voltage either. Also, when I go to start the car, it doesnt do anything at all. The lights dont seem to dim and the car makes no noise whatsoever. That tick I was hearing wasn't really a tick either.
    -Joe