Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Brand New Paint/3M Products

My Cars
    95 M3, 03 999R

Brand New Paint/3M Products

I got a panel repainted on my Dakar yellow M3.
    Is there anything I need to do to new paint to prolong its life?

Should I just wax it? Is paint overspray a factor with new paint?

I was considering buying the 3M film for the front, since I had my front bumper repainted. Anyone have this, is it annoying to wash, does it deteriorate/peal over time? Does the other part of the car fade?

ANywhere to get this 3M stuff cheap? I saw bavauto sells the sets pre-cut, but somehow I don't see them shipping a rolled up piece of plastic and it going on completely smooth.
    '95 M3 Dakar
    New bloody tyres, new bloody valve cover gasket, new bloody oil pan gasket, new bloody o2 sensor, new bloody engine mounts, new bloody..

My Cars
    uma E36 325 vermelho
    You don't want to wax it right away if it is repainted. It needs time to breathe and cure. You'll need to wait a month or two.
    What would Crockett and Tubbs do?

1994 E36 Hellrot/Black 325is
    2007 E92 Jet Black/Saddle Brown 335i

My Cars
    M5 and M3
    Give the paint at least 3 weeks to allow any remaining solvnts to evaporate. Afterwards, just treat the panel like you would treat the rest of your car.

3M stonguard is the best stuff. It will not peel, fade, discolor, etc. Other cheap immitaions will. It would be a wise investment having the 3M film professionally installed on your car.
    WTB 89-91 325is!

00 M5
    95 Individual M3

Protective Film Technologies-professional installer and distributor of X-Pel protective films.
    703-944-7076

My Cars
    02 Civic Si
    It depends on the type of repair done to your car. If it was fixing a dent then they will have painted over most of the factory paint.

As far as paint protection goes, I would stick to what the other guys said as well. I would not wax that fender for at least 2 months. If there is overspray on adjacent panels I would use a clay bar to remove that. To keep the paint shiny while it's new it is acceptible to use 3m IHG as that lets the paint breath.

Once the paint has cured then you can protect it just like the rest of the car.
    Nick