Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: August 2004 - Service Action: E46 M3 S54 Connecting Rod Bearings Replacement

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition

August 2004 - Service Action: E46 M3 S54 Connecting Rod Bearings Replacement

[img]http://********************/kevin/2004-08_e46sib/august04-e46m3-sib0001.jpg[/img]

[img]http://********************/kevin/2004-08_e46sib/august04-e46m3-sib0002.jpg[/img]

[img]http://********************/kevin/2004-08_e46sib/august04-e46m3-sib0003.jpg[/img]

[img]http://********************/kevin/2004-08_e46sib/august04-e46m3-sib0004.jpg[/img]

[img]http://********************/kevin/2004-08_e46sib/august04-e46m3-sib0005.jpg[/img]

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    [img]http://********************/kevin/2004-08_e46sib/august04-e46m3-sib0006.jpg[/img]

[img]http://********************/kevin/2004-08_e46sib/august04-e46m3-sib0007.jpg[/img]

[img]http://********************/kevin/2004-08_e46sib/august04-e46m3-sib0008.jpg[/img]

[img]http://********************/kevin/2004-08_e46sib/august04-e46m3-sib0009.jpg[/img]

[img]http://********************/kevin/2004-08_e46sib/august04-e46m3-sib0010.jpg[/img]

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    [img]http://********************/kevin/2004-08_e46sib/august04-e46m3-sib0011.jpg[/img]

[img]http://********************/kevin/2004-08_e46sib/august04-e46m3-sib0012.jpg[/img]

Originally sourced for this thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=249163

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Any idea what the downtime will be? I would think it would be best to not be the first car in for this, but to let the service department get it figured out before giving up our ///M's. Kevlar, what's your thoughts on this?
    2006 X5 4.8is - SOLD , Multiple Mini Cooper "S's" - SOLD, "3" E36 M3's-SOLD, "2" E46 M3's-SOLD, "1" 1998 M Roadster-SOLD, 2006 Z-51 Corvette-SOLD, 2011 Countryman "S", 2012 Buick Regal GS and "1" f*cked up 1998 M Roadster

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Quote Originally Posted by m3brad
    Any idea what the downtime will be? I would think it would be best to not be the first car in for this, but to let the service department get it figured out before giving up our ///M's. Kevlar, what's your thoughts on this?
    I do believe this is the same service action that they put into affect for the earlier 10/01 to 02/02 cars... so dealers should have plenty of experience doing this.

I've been trying to get ahold of a few service managers at different dealerships all day, but they all seem to be busy, so I can't guesstimate on the downtime yet.

It's unfortunate that they will have to open my motor and it will have to go through another 1200 miles of break-in, but I guess an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    They swapped a tranny in a day I figure they can probably do this in a day as well.

So basically make sure you run it to reserve to ensure a tank of free gas.
    2002 Alpine White w/ Black 368 (<OO \(||][||)/ OO>)
    Power: Custom Exhaust w/ High Flow cats, CSL headers, built, low-compression Supercharged and aftercooled S-54, ViPEC standalone ECU, Vortech V2 Si trim
    Driveline: Euro 6 speed, 3.64 diff w/ 40% Lockup, Rogue Octane SSK, UUC Red TME kit, UUC Stage 3 LTW Flywheel/M5 Clutch, SS Shift Knob
    Suspension & Brakes: TC Kline True Match Coilovers 500f/500r w/ adjustable camber plates, Racing Dynamics sways, Custom front sway endlinks, ATE fluid, UUC/Willwood BBK 6 piston f - 4 piston r , Slotted E46M3 Rotors, Stainless Lines, Strong Strut, IE Subframe & adjustable rear trailing arm bushings
    ICE & Misc: Projector Z's w/DDE & 5k HID, 19'' Gold HRE C20's, Custom Aux pwr outlet, footwell lighting, ACS Splitters, Areo Sideskirts, Custom gauge pods, Z8 Start, Pioneer AVIC Z3, Clarus Components, 10" RE Sub in a Mister-X Enclosure, Alpine PDX 4X150 + 1X600 Amps
    Coming soon: and a visit to Randy Forbes

My Cars
    Wuper Tuper Fuper
    The job can be done in 1.5 days. That's what I was told. Most likely, your car will be out of commission for 2-3 days. I hope people realize that 20,000 out of 28,000 M3's are affected. People will have to be understanding in the more urban areas. Most people will not get "BMW" loaners ... but a rental from enterprise.

Clint - if I have to, I'll suck out the gasoline

My Cars
    SMG
    I'd be so pissed. Does this make you guys really mad or what?

Milltek pipes. Ground control coilovers. Conforti Tuned. V1 & iPod hardwired

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    I'm not mad... I understand it's just how things work sometimes. I give BMW full credit for designing an excellent engine... however attempts to mass produce the engine didn't go so well.

Yeah, I could moan and groan... but that doesn't get me anywhere and it just burns unnecessary bridges.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    01' S54 M Roadster, Uber
    Does anybody know if this includes S54 powered M Roadster and Coupes? Or is BMW less concerned with these cars because fewer were produced? So they will replace/fix the motor when it actually does grenade?

My Cars
    Wuper Tuper Fuper
    It does not appear S54 mcoupes/roadsters are affected. My suspicion is that you guys don't have an 8K rpm limiter. If you notice, there is new software with this upgrade. E.g., you can't rev past 6500 rpm's in 1st gear now IIRC. So, I think it is definitely something to do with rev's that is affecting this engine.

I agree with Kevin on this. No sense in getting upset. It is better that BMW NA is taking action rather than turning their heads. Plus, you can burn bridges by yelling at your SA/SD -- they have no control over things and they didn't build our engines. I try to be as understanding as possible.

I don't need a BMW loaner nor do I need to have the car in immediately, or immediately back ... I want the tech to take his time and do things right. In fact, I want the best tech to work on the car and if that means I wait 2 months to get him to work on it, so be it.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    I would imagine that at least one master tech at your local BMW dealership should be able to perform this service without a problem as it looks to be extremely similar to the recall they had on previous S54 engines.

I do not believe the MCoupe/Roadsters are affected in this because they have a lower redline. I think the problem stems from hot oil foaming caused by the higher engine speed. I do believe that M3s have a higher idle because the oil pump is geared differently to slow it down at 8000rpm as well.

My Cars
    2002 M3 Coupe Topaz/Grey

Moon Again?

I had this done last year..it took 3 days. My service dept sucks and i am hesitatant to bring it back.
    2002 M3 Coupe Topaz Blue/ Grey
    2006 Z4 3.0si Alpine White, PREM, SP, NAV, Heated Seats.
    2006 X3 3.0i Silver, Sports, NAV, PREM, COLD
    2008 328i Coupe, NAV, Tech, Prem, Cold

My Cars
    01' S54 M Roadster, Uber
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar
    I would imagine that at least one master tech at your local BMW dealership should be able to perform this service without a problem as it looks to be extremely similar to the recall they had on previous S54 engines.

I do not believe the MCoupe/Roadsters are affected in this because they have a lower redline. I think the problem stems from hot oil foaming caused by the higher engine speed. I do believe that M3s have a higher idle because the oil pump is geared differently to slow it down at 8000rpm as well.
    Any ideas on what would happen if you are running with a Dinan upgraded ECU? That brings the revs up to 8K. If something goes wrong with the motor because of the Dinan chip, will they still honor my warranty? My car has very low mileage, I just dont want to get screwed over down the line if something goes wrong.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    That will be a DINAN issue. I'm not sure if DINAN's software changes would affect the recorded time over the predefined revlimit. However DINAN has a warranty that essentially picks up where BMW's warranty ends. You may want to contact a DINAN representative and ask them...

My Cars
    2003 BMW M3; 2001.5 VW Passat 1.8T; 2003 BMW 530i

Customer notification letters

Anyone receive their notification letters from BMW yet? It may be too soon... I'm just concerned that I may have received it and thrown it out, thinking it was just junk mail or something.
    2003 BMW M3, FOR SALE! P.M. me!

My Cars
    2002 M3 1995 M3

In the dealer now

I had an appt for today for service and the service writer said they had 2 sets
    of the "recall" in stock - I said go ahead and perform it. The same tech who performed my other recall will do it and I have NEVER had a problem and I have tracked mine at several DE weekends, before and after the oil pump recall.

"Plan on a couple day job"

BTW, I have not received my letter from BMW NA.
    Bill

My Cars
    01 M3
    Whats up guys? Quick question. My car hasnt been driven or started in 3 months due to a personal problem. I just finally went to drive the car Friday, and im getting a loud "ticking" sound from the engine now. People are telling me it might be an injector issue or that the fuel is bad in it. Do you think it might have to do with the recall, since it wasnt doing this last i drove it. BTW i have an appointment with BMW this week, just wanted to get some input from you guys first.

Regards
    Walter
    Euro.Techniks
    Instagram @WBucco

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    The car has to go in anyway for the recall... regardless of what the issue is. You can have them look at it then...

My Cars
    e46 m3, S4, A6, A3,
    Was told on Friday 9/3 that the software for the "service action" for SMG cars won't be ready until the end of Sept.
    MAB

My Cars
    2003 M3 SMG, 1997 Ferrari 355 GTB, 1996 300ZX

Recalls...Recalls...

I went to the dealership today. In addition to the rod bearing kit install, there are two SMG recalls and an ECU upgrade as well. Goes in next week for all of this plus Inspection #1 and new breaks and rotors, (courtesy of BMW). Two days max. Break in will suck, I have a track event in a month.

My Cars
    '04 M3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by MAB Badgerbimmer
    Was told on Friday 9/3 that the software for the "service action" for SMG cars won't be ready until the end of Sept.

I just called my stealership, and they set me up for Monday on the SMG software update.

My Cars
    E46 M3, E60 545i
    My dealer told me today that the down time would be one day. I would expect more, but whatever the time frame involved, this is a positive thing. Yeah it sucks to have to go through it, but BMW is going to make it right.
    JetFalconer

My Cars
    03 ///M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar
    I'm not mad... I understand it's just how things work sometimes. I give BMW full credit for designing an excellent engine... however attempts to mass produce the engine didn't go so well.

Yeah, I could moan and groan... but that doesn't get me anywhere and it just burns unnecessary bridges.
    Well said, i think this engine is amazing.
    03 ///M3 SG
    Bilstein PSS9/ TMS RSM's/ Autosolutions Ultra SSK/ TMS Sways/ SuperSprint Exhaust/ SS X-pipe/ R.E. TM's/ OEM CSL diffuser/ Recaro Sports in custom black suede/ OEM CSL brakes/ TMS rear camber arms/ Camber plates/ rear trailing arm bearings

My Cars
    01 M3, 04 Ac TL, 10 CTS
    Hey guys -
    I brought my car in to the dealer to have a few things done, and was trying to avoid the rod bearing replacement at this time. I preferred to have it done when I had time to watch them do it, and make sure it was done right. Well the dealer is forcing me to do it now, saying it is a safety issue. After arguing, I am caving and will have them do it(today or tomorrow), since they already have my car. Im just curious, when I go in, what types of things should i be looking for? They are going to let me look at it when they drop the oil pan. I want to look at the old bearings, but is there anything else I should be concerned with? Any suggestions wouold be appreciated...sorry for the essay. Thanks!

Rob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast