Thread: car hits very hard in the front???

My Cars
    M-Sport

car hits very hard in the front???

Hey guys I had this problem for a while, but now it feel worse. I had 17's and now put 18's on my car, and every time I hit a big hump or big dip the car hits very hard in the front. I can feel it hit hard on top not on the bottom. all bushings are new control arms ball joints sway bar links are all good, which led to the conclusion of bad strut mounts, but I checked them and they are fine, my friend said it could only be one thing and that is Bump stops. Now my question is since I have the Bilstein Sports the shaft is much thicker then on a regular strut, how do i make the bump stop fit? do i have to cut it open or is there an after-market bump stop for bilstein sports?

any help is appreciated

My Cars
    e36
    I'd start off with replacing your bump stops with a factory part, which is what I did when I installed my new suspension. It was reccomended by tons of people since my bumpstops were 100,000 miles old and foam was very worn out. On my Konis I just cut a slit on the inside of the stop to make it fit onto the strut.

My Cars
    M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by xvxax
    I'd start off with replacing your bump stops with a factory part, which is what I did when I installed my new suspension. It was reccomended by tons of people since my bumpstops were 100,000 miles old and foam was very worn out. On my Konis I just cut a slit on the inside of the stop to make it fit onto the strut.
    yes but thing is there are no bump stops on now. only thing is like i said do i cut the factory bump stops, or are there aftermarket bumps stops out there

My Cars
    '01 M5,'95 325is,'82 320
    You are probably running too low with too little spring. What it sounds like is that you are fully compressing the coil, and that's the sound you are hearing. With the bumpstops in place (slit them like was suggested) you will compress on those first (near infinite spring rate!), still not great, as it suggests either too low of rate spring or under dampening, but still better then binding up the coils!

Steve

My Cars
    NG SAAB 9-5
    I had this problem on my 84 325es & what I did to solve the problem was I ordered these rubber sping lift inserts from JC Whitney for like $10. What they do is sit in between the coils so they dont fully compress.

You choose which coil to place them & when the coils compress the rubber acts like a cushion to keep them from slamming into each other. Worked well for me, but this was before I knew about bump stops. The good news is with these you just have to slide them between the coils, with bump stops you have to take the strut out.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/6, 16 M3/6
    my bilsteins are harsh... i didnt cut the bumpstops because u needed to disassemble the while thing... goodluck

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Roadster
    The Bilstein Sports have internal bumpstops that have been discussed here numerous times. The shock is actually upside down inside the large polished tube. Check the Brazeau racing web site for info on how to cut them down. Kind of a PIA and requires the strut out of the car. I did mine before installing them, and they work great.
    MikeG

My Cars
    M-Sport
    ok guys problem solved i installed the bump stops and car drives fantastic. Now another thing is i found a set of Lowering caps for the front that would drop the car .5" are these worth getting or should i just forget about them?

My Cars
    325is
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreNY
    ok guys problem solved i installed the bump stops and car drives fantastic. Now another thing is i found a set of Lowering caps for the front that would drop the car .5" are these worth getting or should i just forget about them?
    Off topic, but I've been looking for those caps!!!!, bekkers has it on back order since forever now... Any chance you can connect me to those?!?!? Good luck on your bottoming out problem.