Thread: Opinions wanted - 97' Z3

My Cars
    97 BMW Z3

Opinions wanted - 97' Z3

Hello,

Looking to purchase a 97' Z3 with a 2.8L - auto. She has 122k in miles. Small stuff noted - radio doesn't work, front seat slides when stopping, top is manual down only, headlamps are hazy. Drives well and shifts well. No known leaks. Tires are average. Asking $6k.

Fair price? Am I missing something more I need to look at? This is a weekend toy.

Thanks all

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    Search the forum for subframe issues, you will see where to check the spotwelds in the trunk. Other than that, it's normal old car stuff (water pump, bushings, ball joints, etc...)

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    I agree with pine1000. It's normal old car stuff and to give it a thorough check for trunk weld failures. I'll add that it sounds like the car was not particularly well maintained as though, those are normal old car issues, most of us on the forum have already dealt with those common issues. For one thing, the cooling system will likely need a complete refresh.

You can plan on spending a couple grand (maybe more) in parts if you want to bring it up to snuff and make it reliable. If you can't do the work yourself, you can expect it to cost you a lot more.

My Cars
    '01 Z3
    Bought my auto 3.0 with 117k miles for $5k during early covid and it came with extra goodies like an extra set of wheels and original tonneau cover. Had the seat problem, a hazy rear window, and an oil leak, and the door pulls were bad. $6k asking isn't terrible but I'd expect that for a manual. If you could get them down to $5-$5.5k it'd be a pretty good deal imo.

My Cars
    97 BMW Z3
    I did a CARFAX. 4 previous owners. No accidents. The service records are not detailed. Makes me wonder now.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Every single carfax report I've seen on cars that I know the details have been... well.... I won't say they were wrong so much as I say they were works of fiction. If you like the car, have it checked by someone that knows the series and buy it.

/.randy

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    Every single carfax report I've seen on cars that I know the details have been... well.... I won't say they were wrong so much as I say they were works of fiction. If you like the car, have it checked by someone that knows the series and buy it.
    I totally agree with this statement about carfax. I got one for my car, and it was obvious that the shop that repaired it doesn't report to carfax. I have the receipt for the repairs in my file for my "accident-free" M Coupe.

Marty

My Cars
    z3
    I had free Carfax's for awhile and for fun looked up some totalled cars I was parting out. All of them had clean titles... I don't think a Carfax is worth the paper they are printed on

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0
    I do think Carfax is a valuable tool, but not infallible. We had a Subaru Outback that was parked in front of our house and was hit hard by a snowplow. The local Lexus dealer is the best body shop in town, so we had them do the repairs through our insurance, totalling $12,000. When we got a new car 2 years later, the Subaru Carfax only showed “service performed” -no mention of damage, or cost of repairs, still listed as no “collisions reported”!

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe 3.0
    I had received excellent advice to buy the best car you can afford. I’m a sucker for jumping at “the best deal”, only to have to spend more money on repairs, and still not be at the same quality, and condition of the more expensive car.
    in recent years, I have decided on a max budget, and patiently looked for the best condition car I could find. These purchases have been much more rewarding.

You rarely get back all the money you put into a car, so buying one that someone else has already put the money into is usually “the best deal”. Key things are making sure all the maintenance is kept up to date, and preferably documented, and has been well taken care of aesthetically. If the things you can see haven’t been maintained -what about all the things you can’t see?!?!

just my 2 cents… ��

My Cars
    1998 bmw z3
    Quote Originally Posted by lee1974 View Post
    Hello,
    S22
    Looking to purchase a 97' Z3 with a 2.8L - auto. She has 122k in miles. Small stuff noted - radio doesn't work, front seat slides when stopping, top is manual down only, headlamps are hazy. Drives well and shifts well. No known leaks. Tires are average. Asking $6k.

Fair price? Am I missing something more I need to look at? This is a weekend toy.

Thanks all
    If u wanna love you car and have fun with it, get a manual.