BMW of Bloomfield

Thread: E39 2000 528i For Sale - Springfield, MO

My Cars
    '02 540i/6

E39 2000 528i Auto For Sale - Springfield, MO

I am posting my dad's 2000 BMW 528i Auto for sale. Lots of pictures, maintenance, receipts tons of new parts, etc. Clean Texas Title. I have the title with me. Myself and car is located in Springfield, MO. Call or text at (920) 509-4543. Ask for Daniel

Car "needs" nothing (see below) and has been a great car for my dad and our family for over 15 years. Sadly one of my siblings was driving it from Mid 2019 to March of 2021 and put allot of miles on it in a short amount of time. Car sat for over a year. This car was maintained by my fathers Indy shop Elite Bmers & Benz in Spring, TX for many years until I brought the vehicle up to Springfield in Feb of 2018 and was in my own personal possession until September of 2018. I have been working on resolving the issues that occurred while the car was in my siblings hands.

Pictures here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...VN?usp=sharing

2000 528i Automatic 4-Door Sedan
    Mileage: 253,xxx
    Color: Black Exterior/Tan Interior
    2 Owner. Originally owned by stepmoms cousin that owns an Indy BMW shop in Houston, TX area. It's been the family car and located in Missouri for the last 5 years.
    Over $6,000 in repairs within the last 3 years.
    Price: $4500 OBO (Please don't hesitate to make an offer. We are wanting to get this sold) Update 11/19/23: Reduced to $4500 OBO.

Good:
    Umnitza E39 Projector39 For 5 Series BMW Headlights E39 Hella Style With Orion LED Angel Eyes (97-03)
    Evo-X 3" Projectors
    DDM Tuning HID 35w Kit D2S 5500k Ultra: https://ddmtuning.com/DDM-HID-Kit-Sl...ast-35W-or-55W
    (These were previously installed on my current 540i)

Toyo Extensa A/S II 225/55/16 Tires Front & Rear Replaced Approximately 5k miles ago. One tire replaced 10-20-22 under warranty. I need to get the receipt for this to help give a more accurate mileage on the tires. Plenty of treat left.

Bosch Wiper Blades 8-10-23
    Upper Radiator Hose Between Radiator & Thermostat 7-20-23
    Headlights were installed 7-13-23
    Center Support Bearing - 7-13-23
    Inner & Outer Front Left Tie Rod - 7-13-23
    4-Wheel Alignment 7-13-23
    Idler Pulley 11-1-22
    Windshield Washer Nozzles 11-1-22
    Windshield Washer Pump 11-1-22
    Rear Upper Control Arms Left & Right Sides 11-1-22
    Oil Change Mobil1 5W30 11-1-22 @250,566 miles
    Battery 2-5-21
    Alternator 2-5-21
    Rear Right Side Window Regulator 2-5-21
    Windshield Washer Pump 2-5-21
    Oil Change Mobil1 5W30 1-18-21 @237,684 miles
    Rear Brake Pads & Sensors Both Sides 1-18-21
    Fuel Pump 12-18-20
    Fuel Filter 12-18-20
    Water Pump & Belt 10-16-20
    Right Rear Speed Sensor 6-25-20
    MAF Sensor 6-25-20
    Head Gasket & Machined w/ new Head Bolts 5-19-20
    Oil Change Mobil1 5W30 5-19-20 @215,920 miles
    Wheel Speed Sensor Left Side 3-13-20
    Oil Change Mobil1 5W30 2-5-20 @212,734 miles
    Water Pump 2-5-20
    Thermostat 2-5-20
    Brake Master Cylinder 1-15-20
    Thermostat 10-10-19
    Front Right Window Regulator 9-20-19
    Axle Assembly 4-28-2018 @193,222 miles
    Brake Control Module 4-28-18
    Wheel Speed Sensor Front Left 4-28-18

Bad:
    High mileage.
    Paint is in VERY rough shape. Clearcoat failure primarily on the roof and the hood.
    Low-Beam/High-Beam issue. Either it is the turn signal stalk, or the LCM. Plenty of DIY out there to resolve. This was occurring before the headlights were swapped over.
    Rust has started to form inside the gas door. Typical on E39's.
    Sagging upholstery.
    Driver seat has some tears.
    Moonroof might not open. It had some issues back in 2018. We disabled it at that time. I do not believe it was repaired, and I do not have receipt of it being worked on. I do not recommend opening.
    One key. Keyless entry currently does not work. I opened the key myself before I knew better. The indy shop that I use closed it back up.
    Radio works
    HVAC makes a groan at higher speeds.
    Quarter Sized Rock Chip in middle left windshield. Directly in eye line when driving.
    Last edited by Iamthebull; 11-19-2023 at 08:59 PM.
    2002 BMW Titanium Silver 540i/6-speed Sport - ZHP Shift Knob - M5 Clutch/TTV Racing 15.6lb Flywheel - M60 Intake Manifold - N62 84mm TB - Dinan Intake Tube - 4" MAF Tube - DUDMD Tune - Magnaflow Resonator - Eibach 18mm Rear Sway Bar - Powerflex Front Sway Bar Bushings - CDV Delete - UUC SS Brake Lines - Koni Yellow Shocks/Struts - Eibach Springs - Zionsville Radiator & FDM

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 Msport Sedan
    Have you considered MAACO? I know.. a thousand warnings will pop up on every review site, but if you use the wisely you can get a good product. When my son was shuffling GF's like playing cards he was surprised one day (I wasn't, been there) to find someone key'd his 92 318is E30.. all up and down the side in 4-5 lines.. He learned to take one of our beaters when he was going to park outside one of their houses. Long story not so long, we were going to paint it ourselves before we found out that BMW red was going for >$2500 a gallon and that was for the bargain stuff. The insurance only paid out $1200.. and he wanted to stay within that budget.

I talked him into visiting a brand new MAACO store and we talked with the owner.. who lied through his teeth and tried to take advantage of a young kid.. but we eventually got him to redo the work that wasn't done right or was done poorly. Anyway, he settled on an "mid level" base/clear package with two extra coats of clear so we'd be sure to have enough on there to flatten it for the best shine. Also included was a roll of rubber seal prep tape that basically you put t under the outside (paint side) rubber gasket and back about 1/2 inch.. and it suspends the seal a fraction above the surface so when you run the gun over that area paint goes under.. so while you still mask the gasket, you're getting a look that appears like you removed all your windows. We made the appointment.

We took it home and stripped it of all the easy stuff. Trim (make sure you order the trim clips, they are old and brittle and you'll lose most of them and they're hard to get), lights, etc, etc.. Then we used a pneumatic DA and 800g to prep the surface. We glazed in the chips, keyed grooves, and anything else that was needed. Glaze is good for small barely there fills, it doesn't shrink and its easy to use. If you need Bondo consider a PDR tool set or a guy who knows how to use it.. to get it in glaze territory. Hand work was required for a lot of the small areas but ultimately the strip down and surface prep took us 2.5 days, and the reassembly took several days more because we thought it wise to let it sit indoors to gas out for a month before color sanding/polishing.

Interesting note: Ever seen a light whitish haze on a really shiny clear coat? The ceramic coating industry was taking it in the shorts by people demanding they re-polish, re-prep. and re-apply.. because the cost of a good ceramic coating place is pretty steep, when people pay that much they tend to look at their paint very closely. Often for the first time. This type of haze comes from the paint gassing out for as much as a year from application. New cars have probably been painted for 4-5 months so you don't have to wait that long, but a newly painted car, especially one with a robust clear layer, should probably sit 10 months or so..

Problems: The rear spoiler on a 318is is made of a flexible type rubber. You can paint it properly by using a certain 3M product.. otherwise good luck. He promised to use it, they didn't, two months later the spoiler started cracking, it looked like a boiled egg you had tapped on the table edge a bit too hard. This took a call to corporate to get fixed. Usually corporate doesn't hold much sway with their independents, but he was still on franchise probation. The other thing was.. they applied the extra clear, but they sure didn't wait for it to gas out between coats. The effect looks like more than a few volcano's with a wide base on the color, and peaks as it exits the clear. There is no fix other than sanding it all down and redoing the job. fortunately it was only one the roof. Again, he didn't want to honor the warranty but in the end they did. Their strategy when you bring in a defect is to blame it on bad preparation: "Remember we recommended that $600 super prep package and you thought it too expensive?" (as they nod and give you the "you get it right" look).. In our case it was because wed did the prep ourselves and obviously didn't know what we were doing. They count on you not knowing the why.. We knew the why and he looked shocked.. and fixed it.

End result: A solid 10 footer.. You get what you pay for (after fighting with the MAACO Man) with car paint.. but it can look a lot better than you can imagine if you're willing to do a bit of disassembly and preo work. Otherwise the newest guy masks everything amd it will show. Our goal was to have only the wheels and wells need masking once we got it there.. but they managed to paint the inside of the wells red for us.. and boits and pieces of the old wheels we slapped on there for that reason. As far as bargains go, it was pretty decent. He had $1200 invested and that was it. Everyone commented on how nice the paint was, even the guys who came and looked at it when it was for sale. But as the owner you know and you're eyes are drawn to the defects and not the other 99% of the car.. This is a picture of it taken 3-4 years later as the new owner towed it away.

Gone.jpg

A decent paint job will sell that car for more than it costs to paint using the MAACO method.. might even convince yo to keep your dads car.
    A great ending is all you'll see..
    __________________________________________________ _____________

My Cars
    '02 540i/6
    Oh I wish we could keep it in the family, he's just tired of it unfortunately. I agree a paint job would be awesome for bringing it back to life.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    "Car "needs" nothing"

You may want to reword that after posting "The Bad" because it definitely "needs some things" like most of these aging machines.

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    '02 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by ViolinARC View Post
    "Car "needs" nothing"

You may want to reword that after posting "The Bad" because it definitely "needs some things" like most of these aging machines.
    Need is subjective. Could it use things? Sure. But need, not to run, drive, etc. I'd still, personally, say no.
    2002 BMW Titanium Silver 540i/6-speed Sport - ZHP Shift Knob - M5 Clutch/TTV Racing 15.6lb Flywheel - M60 Intake Manifold - N62 84mm TB - Dinan Intake Tube - 4" MAF Tube - DUDMD Tune - Magnaflow Resonator - Eibach 18mm Rear Sway Bar - Powerflex Front Sway Bar Bushings - CDV Delete - UUC SS Brake Lines - Koni Yellow Shocks/Struts - Eibach Springs - Zionsville Radiator & FDM

My Cars
    '02 540i/6
    Price reduced to $4800 OBO. Dad wants it gone.

My Cars
    '02 540i/6
    Drop to $4500.

My Cars
    '02 540i/6
    Update: Christmas weekend the water pump seized, threw the belt, which hit the clutch fan, which then shredded the upper radiator hose. All parts affected were replaced. Water pump pulley is a used stock size aluminum pulley. Fresh oil change completed at this time as well. Over $500 in parts and labor. That being said, price is dropped to $4000. Taking offers as well. Dad wants this gone.

My Cars
    '02 540i/6
    Still no offers. Taking a huge loss on this. Shoot me an offer. Thanks.

My Cars
    99 528iT
    I used to work for said company as an estimator. If you know what you are doing, you can do just as good a job in your garage if not better than MAACO. Plenty of stuff on the internet on how.

My Cars
    '02 540i/6
    Sold as of 2/28/2024.