Thread: FS: High tuck Z3 mirror mounts

My Cars
    00 Mshoe

FS: High tuck Z3 mirror mounts

The long dreaded obstructed view of the rearview mirror now has a permanent solution.

I developed a new mount and have a run of 35 mounts made to relocate the mirror high and tight to the headliner.

These are made from 6061 aluminum, CNC machined, bead blasted and anodized in a matte black finish.

They mount using the original BMW mounting hardware which just swaps over with 3 screws from the original to the new one.

For manual dim mirrors these are direct plug and play.
    For auto-dim mirrors the wiring needs to be re-routed external to the stem as its routed through it on the OEM mount which does not fit anymore.

My autodim wiring can be seen in the photos below re-routed, the plug is then just tucked into the edge of the head liner.

Price is $140 shipped in the continential US. Additional shipping charged available for those otherwise, just PM me.

OEM to rapid protoype to CNC aluminum

8 of the original 35 are already claimed, get 'em while they last.

OEM mounting ring on the new mount:

Installed:

How to:
    For autodims: pop the stem cover piece (likely the tab will break) and disconnect the plug

The mirror is removed with a twist ~60*. I always go CCW, but I dont see why it would matter, there are three tension spring rods that hold it to the windshield mount in the shape of a Equilateral triangle

For autodims: My mirror already has the wiring re-routed as pictured, but you'll need to pop open the mirror to disconnect the wiring to remove the stem, drill a new hole and re-route the wiring external to the stem. The trim ring around the mirror has the high points, and the "bucket" of the mirror has "D" loops that retain the high points. Using a plastic pry tool the trim ring needs to be pushed away from the bucket to release. A few of my D loops broke as I didnt know how they were affixed ass you can see in the photos the minor extra gaps.

The mount plate is just 3 phillips head screws, remove and be aware to not lose the 3 tension rods when removing the plate they are not held in the plate other than sandwiched between the mount and stem. Swap this over.

The ball socket is held in with the tension ring that needs to be pried out:

Pick pulling it out:

tension ring removed:

Pop out the old stem, I put the mirror face down on soft towel and just rotate it out

The new ball is tight, so I lubed with a bit of alcohol to provide some lubrication:

Pop in the new stem and reinstall the tension ring

Reinstall on the windshield mount, plug in the autodim plug (as applicable) and tuck into the headliner and enjoy your better view from the driver seat.

My Cars
    2002 Z3 3.0i
    I’ll take one. I just can’t seem to figure out how to pm you from the mobile app. As soon as I’m back in front of my computer I’ll send you a pm

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    Just received my "high mount mirror mount" from Robb. It looks like it came straight from the BMW factory. Great job Robb, thanks for your effort!
    I won't be able to get it installed right away because I'm getting ready to head down to a youth camp that I volunteer a week every year. I run the officiating crew for softball. It's a Christian camp that provides a lot of fun during the day and a lot of good instruction and guidance in the evening to help kids get started out in life on the right foot.
    Will post pic when installed.