Thread: The Double Barn Find 850i, is She All She's Cracked Up to Be? -- Restoration Thread

My Cars
    2015 Nissan GTR Premium

The Double Barn Find 850i, is She All She's Cracked Up to Be? -- Restoration Thread

Hey All,

Making this thread since I couldn't find a thread on the forums for new BMW pick ups. I did post in the general section for pick ups, but I do need to place to track progress and ask questions.

Anyway, let's get to it!

I had been researching and trying to find an 850i/Ci for quite some time. For those of you that are searching around for these vehicles, you've probably also come across the current owners (that are just trying to flip them) are always trying to say they know what they have or someone will come pick it up for $30k, things like that. I'm patient (most of the time) and wanted to pull the trigger on one that I was comfortable with. While hunting around for this vehicle, I did start to notice that the E31 850 is really a ghost in a lot of databases. People either end up listing them as 840is or something else. During a search a few weeks back, I came across a mislabeled listing for the vehicle as an i8. Took a look at the few pics that were provided and tried to get in touch with the seller. I wasn't getting any response, but I'm an adamant individual. Finally, got a response from the seller and I had asked him for information and more pics.

Turns out this car has been SITTING FOR 20 YEARS. First, in a barn for 10 years and this guy found it. He started to work on it and didn't have the time or funds to continue so this ended up sitting in his garage for 10 years. Here we are today and he needs it gone. I had him send me pictures of the interior and I was quite surprised at the condition. Everything seemed to be there and in pretty decent condition. Heck, even the headliner was fully intact and not sagging! We negotiated on a price and I got this thing on a truck yesterday. Took delivery of it today at my buddy's shop and went through things. Here are some pics:

I forgot to take more pics of the interior after I took all the parts out.

More pics:

Did a quick check on things so far. Fuel pump assembly is shot and either needs a rebuild or replacement. Looking in to that. Going to try to get this redhead to crank over the weekend. Will start poking and prodding more around that time. I'll be posting updates and questions (if I can't find the information myself). Looking forward to getting this baby back on the road!
    Last edited by Hellfromabove; 06-11-2023 at 11:45 AM.

My Cars
    Had a 1991 BMW 850
    Cleanout the fuel tank, replace every fuel line including the hard to reach ones over the tank and there are a lot of them, replace fuel filters. New oil etc etc

After dinking around trying to rebuild my fuel pumps, I should have just given Dragon the money and bought the new rebuilt housing and pumps

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfromabove View Post
    ... at my buddy's shop...
    You'll need your own barn, one with a beer cooler.

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed
    Careful you don’t end up rebuilding the whole car ‘while you’re there’.
    It’s a trap..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    Restoration threads without pics are not allowed.

My Cars
    850Ci, M5, Model-S P85D
    Pull the oil pan and clean it out before the refill with oil.
    The M70/M73 run pretty cool and with the typical BMW long service periods between oil changes (9-10k miles) the oil will sludge up in the crankcase and the sludge-blanket won't drain out with the oil.

My Cars
    1996 850CI
    Cool!

Post lots of pictures of your build

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    850Ci, Excursion
    You make pulling the M70 oil pan sound trivial! LOL

My Cars
    '94 MX-6
    Those are some nasty looking wheels. Also the 850i emblem is in the wrong spot on the trunklid; evidence of a repaint, or maybe someone debadged and then changed their mind?

I'm going through a similar process with my MX-6, which had been sitting for 12+ years. First thing I did was to swap in a known-clean fuel tank, new pump, filter and all 6 injectors, along with a good bit of the lines and evap system. It's an order of magnitude cheaper for me though...

Following! Good luck.
    Current: '94 MX-6 V6/5 • '72 240Z • '10 Mazda5
    Past: '02 330i/5 • '85 RX-7 GSL-SE • '95 540i/6'95 525i/5'86 635CSi/5 • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S
    Wish list: Type 44 • Manta • Pre-'85 CGT • 405 Mi16 • SVX • W123 Coupe

My Cars
    '91 850i, E39 & E46 Cars
    Photos??
    President
    E31 Chapter -BMW Car Club of America

My Cars
    Had a 1991 BMW 850
    M70 Lower Oil pan is easy, Upper is hard

My Cars
    2015 Nissan GTR Premium
    Ugh... I had posted a bunch of pics last night and they were showing here. Not sure what happened... I'll get them up again. Apologies all!

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, seems that all the links to the pics are there, but for some reason, they are no longer displaying... no idea why... perhaps a mod disabled something? I'll have to figure this out when I'm home tonight.

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    ... no idea why...
    I do.
    Your pic links seem to be http.
    I'll guess you (and forum viewers) are switching between machines, those that accept http and those that don't.
    It's a security setting on the client(s).
    I am familiar with the difference for a different reason, when a mod {ed: IT administrator} on another forum converted ALL posted "http" to read "https", killing access to 10+ years of http server content.
    Last edited by Hyper; 06-08-2023 at 05:46 PM.

My Cars
    91 850 95dinan s/c m
    Congratulations on your purchase! Not sure how far from the Bay Area you are located, but reach out to Ed “V12throttle” for your fuel pump rebuild or new pump. You’ll need to also refurbish the throttle bodies and purchase two new batteries at the same time. Do not go with two used ones because it will cause an electrical mess.

My Cars
    2015 Nissan GTR Premium
    Photos have been fixed. I'll respond to all posts later tonight.

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Great find actually! You should be very happy the interior is in decent shape and you can spend a ton of money there....

That fuel pump assembly, based on experience rebuilding over 200 of these I can tell you it's not worth it, condition is too far gone.
    I do not rebuild the pumps anymore but offer brand new redesigned units: http://E31-V12Throttle.com
    Make sure you change filters and rubber lines too.

My Cars
    2015 Nissan GTR Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by olinjohnston View Post
    Restoration threads without pics are not allowed.
    Pics should be fixed now!

Quote Originally Posted by m6bigdog View Post
    Pull the oil pan and clean it out before the refill with oil.
    The M70/M73 run pretty cool and with the typical BMW long service periods between oil changes (9-10k miles) the oil will sludge up in the crankcase and the sludge-blanket won't drain out with the oil.
    Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by buildit View Post
    Cool!

Post lots of pictures of your build

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Will do! Actually, been wanting to do a YT video series that's a bit fun and engaging for the audience. Talking to some people in SMM I know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by BoldUlysses View Post
    Those are some nasty looking wheels. Also the 850i emblem is in the wrong spot on the trunklid; evidence of a repaint, or maybe someone debadged and then changed their mind?

I'm going through a similar process with my MX-6, which had been sitting for 12+ years. First thing I did was to swap in a known-clean fuel tank, new pump, filter and all 6 injectors, along with a good bit of the lines and evap system. It's an order of magnitude cheaper for me though...

Following! Good luck.
    Yeah, no idea what happened there. Probs came from the first owner. Threw a set on to get it rolled out of there. Who knows. This thing is going to get fully repainted in the end. I'm glad it came with tan interior, I was somewhat hoping that the vehicle I'd end up pulling the trigger on had the interior. I've always told myself that if I got a BMW it would be the BMW green color of that model along with a tan interior. More than likely going to go with the Oxford Green Metallic, but throw a very light coat of some purple on top. Something where it slightly shows in the sun. So, when someone looks at the car, it makes them do a double take like "did I see that right?".

Quote Originally Posted by henryc View Post
    Photos??
    Should be fixed now!

Quote Originally Posted by chicosito View Post
    Congratulations on your purchase! Not sure how far from the Bay Area you are located, but reach out to Ed “V12throttle” for your fuel pump rebuild or new pump. You’ll need to also refurbish the throttle bodies and purchase two new batteries at the same time. Do not go with two used ones because it will cause an electrical mess.
    I'm in SoCal actually, but do head up to NorCal and the Bay Area from time to time. I saw V12throttle's website and at least need the door handle hinge for the driver side lol.

Quote Originally Posted by petejk View Post
    Careful you don’t end up rebuilding the whole car ‘while you’re there’.
    It’s a trap..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh no, I tend to be a perfectionist! I can see myself going down some rabbit holes with this lol.

Quote Originally Posted by rjjablo View Post
    Cleanout the fuel tank, replace every fuel line including the hard to reach ones over the tank and there are a lot of them, replace fuel filters. New oil etc etc

After dinking around trying to rebuild my fuel pumps, I should have just given Dragon the money and bought the new rebuilt housing and pumps
    Will do and yeah, currently looking around for options on the assembly and pumps. Will probs pull the trigger after we tinker with it this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
    You'll need your own barn, one with a beer cooler.
    Oh man, that's the dream for me. I just need a large garage I can chill in with my cars and video games lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dragon850 View Post
    Great find actually! You should be very happy the interior is in decent shape and you can spend a ton of money there....

That fuel pump assembly, based on experience rebuilding over 200 of these I can tell you it's not worth it, condition is too far gone.
    I do not rebuild the pumps anymore but offer brand new redesigned units: http://E31-V12Throttle.com
    Make sure you change filters and rubber lines too.
    Yeah, quite happy with the pick up. Thanks! Now just need to get it moving lol. Will do on those lines and filters and will probs be hitting you up for that assembly!

My Cars
    '94 MX-6
    I've always told myself that if I got a BMW it would be the BMW green color of that model along with a tan interior. More than likely going to go with the Oxford Green Metallic, but throw a very light coat of some purple on top.
    I had an Oxford-on-tan E34; it was a pretty common BMW color in period and as such, it's not the most popular in BMW circles. It's a nice shade though. Recommend going all the way and painting engine bay, door & trunk jambs, etc, if you do it.
    Current: '94 MX-6 V6/5 • '72 240Z • '10 Mazda5
    Past: '02 330i/5 • '85 RX-7 GSL-SE • '95 540i/6'95 525i/5'86 635CSi/5 • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S
    Wish list: Type 44 • Manta • Pre-'85 CGT • 405 Mi16 • SVX • W123 Coupe

My Cars
    2015 Nissan GTR Premium
    Well guys, I believe my GTR just spun a rod. You can imagine the immense amount that costs. This is going to unfortunately have to be put on hold. Hopefully not for too long...

My Cars
    2015 Nissan GTR Premium
    Ok, turns out my GTR is not in such a bad spot. Not a rod knock, but still a grip to fix.

Wanted to upload some more pics for you guys. I'm going to add them to the first post so they're all in one place.

For people messaging me about parts, much appreciated! I've gone through things once so far. It will take time before I narrow down everything I need. However, if there are trivial parts that are required, I'll pull the trigger on those as they come up. Thanks all!