Thread: Floor Mount Adapters: 2 Piece vs 1 Piece

My Cars
    Z4 M, X3 35i, 550i

Floor Mount Adapters: 2 Piece vs 1 Piece

I’m looking to install bucket seats in my Z4 M coupe. This is not my first time installing bucket seats so I’m not totally unfamiliar with the process. However it’s been a few years since I last did this and there seems to be more options for mounting hardware so hoping folks can help me cut through it. Also I realize the E85/86 isn’t a popular chassis here but any input from E46 owners should be a really good proxy.

1. What’s the consensus on 2 piece adapters (e.g. VAC, BW, Macht Schnell, etc.) vs 1 piece plates such as Planted? In the past I was wary of the Planted type because the metal just seemed thin for what is serving as the foundation of the seats. However I see many of these plates are advertised as being make specific and in theory would allow for better fitment. Also some of these now come with tabs to mount factory lap belt receiver so it’s one less thing I need to buy.

2. As for side mounts, my top priorities are safety/design, adjustability (i.e. getting as close to center) and ease of installation. I remember when Motion Motorsport first released their unique side mounts but I’ve not been able to find much feedback on these. I would’ve guessed everyone would’ve migrated to those.

3. I might run sliders on passenger side. Depending on where I land with the above, is there particular one I should look at or are all brands pretty much the same since these are universal?

FYI I’m aware Brey Krause recently came out with BMW mounts. And normally I’d agree their stuff is top notch but folks on m3 forums noted how their QC has dropped in recent months to the point some of the brackets don’t line up. Again, really trying to avoid having to redrill any hardware if possible.
    Last edited by Dubbedown; 07-14-2023 at 05:21 PM.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    I have run both Planted and VAC mounts and much prefer the two piece mounts due to the items you mentioned and the Planted mounts were much higher as well. Go with VAC

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Yep, the 2 piece are the way to go. I have the BW ones. Garagistic has some in the $180 range.

My Cars
    1995 Mugello M3 Coupe
    I just installed my first seat and started off with planted brackets but ended up returning for vac. The vac is a little bit lower in height and I was really looking to drop height with my setup. I also didn't like the planted as you have to drill lots of holes and I also found the sea belt bracket for stock seatbelts to be too far forward. I'm 6' 2" with long legs.

For me the vac setup is a no brainier...no drilling and everything bolted up nicely. I'm running sparco evo L seat, vac plates and planted side mounts (e36).

My Cars
    Z4 M, X3 35i, 550i
    Got it… so 2 piece seems to be the way to go. Any feedback on Motion Motorsports side mounts?

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
    Got it… so 2 piece seems to be the way to go. Any feedback on Motion Motorsports side mounts?
    Motion Motorsports is no longer fulfilling orders, so I would avoid that route.

My Cars
    Z4 M, X3 35i, 550i
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjaya29 View Post
    Motion Motorsports is no longer fulfilling orders, so I would avoid that route.
    I figured, they never got back to my emails so I just went with BW brackets and Sparco side mounts.

My Cars
    Z4 M, X3 35i, 550i
    Bump… VAC and RE both sell their versions of lap belt brackets. Can harness lap belts with snap-in fittings be clipped directly onto these or do I need to use eye bolt?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    Depends on the snap-in fittings, might take some massaging with dremel/grinder