Thread: Coolant leaks

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540iA

Coolant leaks

2002 540i

Found coolant leak at the folk of hoses from waterpump to expansion tank and tranny oil cooler as shown in below pictures, I initially thought the leak is from the expansion tank hose connector, so I ordered a new hose with the connector from FCP,but after running engine for a while I can see the leaks on the neck of the connector on the hose to tranny oil cooler but not on the connector. The tranny oil cooler hose has a metal pipe section goes to tranny oil cooler and rubber hose section goes to water pump, so just to replace the rubber hose section with clamps should be fine, the entire hoses are behind pulleys and idler so it is difficult to replace whole part. Thought?

coolant_hoses.PNG
    coolant_leaks.jpg

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540iA
    Well, not sure if tranny oil cooler hose is the issue but the expansion tank coolant hose T connector is broken when I try to remove it, did not force it at all:
    expansion_tank_hose_broken1.jpg
    expansion_tank_broken2.jpg

Okay going to replace it since I have new part on hand.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540iA
    Replacing the expansion tank hose seems to solve the problem, did bleeding procedure yesterday and checked everywhere, no more leaks, may need to bleed more.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540iA
    Oh it sucks, fixed one thing and another thing is broke, the upper radiator hose is broken on radiator end, plastic neck is broken, wife and kid went out and just approaching the highway exit, the needle hit the red and steam came out from the hood so they pulled over immediately and shut the engine, son opened the hood and found out upper radiator hose is broken, coolant dumped a lot, called AAA to get the car towed home just now, tipped the driver $20, lower radiator hose is fine since I replaced it few years ago when I was doing electrical fan conversion, ordered new hose from RockAuto, Rein brand, should be good:
    upper_radiator_hose1.jpgupper_radiator_hose.jpg

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Sorry man. Gotta love (hate) that forced European recycled plastic junk.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540iA
    Yeah, the expansion tank hose also broke at the plastic connector, the rubber hose are actually fine after 20 years of use. Today is quite hot, 93f, hopefully head gaskets are not toasted, asked son how long engine was running when this happened till they pulled over and shut the engine, wife told me 5 minutes, that scared me but son said about 30 seconds but I better it is longer than that, keep fingers crossed!

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540iA
    While waiting for the part, found out that driver side headlight got coolant inside, fogged up the lens on the inside, so removed the headlight and all the bulbs, pour water inside the headlight housing and rinse the housing few time, put it on the deck hopping the moisture will be evaporated under the sun, if not after couple of days then I will have to use a blow dryer to do the job:

headlight_fogged_up1.jpgheadlight_fogged_up2.jpg

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by theWalkinator View Post
    Yeah, the expansion tank hose also broke at the plastic connector, the rubber hose are actually fine after 20 years of use. Today is quite hot, 93f, hopefully head gaskets are not toasted, asked son how long engine was running when this happened till they pulled over and shut the engine, wife told me 5 minutes, that scared me but son said about 30 seconds but I better it is longer than that, keep fingers crossed!
    If wife is right you're in trouble.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540iA
    Okay replaced all coolant hoses with quick snap on connectors:
    coolant_hoses.PNG
    this is hose #6
    coolant_hose1.jpg
    this is hose #5
    coolant_hose3.jpg
    this is hose #4
    coolant_hose3-1.jpg
    and this is hose #1, upper radiator hose
    upper_radiator_hose_new.jpg

All put back together, coolant is almost empty before replacing the hoses, filled coolant through upper radiator hose and expansion tank, did initial bleeding, with car on ramps, max heat and lowest fan, no leaks, brought car idle til warm up then held rpm to 2500 rpm for 30 seconds few times, no overheating, needle in dead center, vent blown hot air, I put little over a gallon of coolant, feeling it should take more but expansion tank coolant level stick is holding little bit above the neck so leave the car overnight to see if I need to top off tomorrow.

Also put the driver side headlight back, it dried out inside and is clear but have some water spots left on the inside of lens and on the projector, I should have bought distilled water to rinse the lens, oh well.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    If wife is right you're in trouble.
    I guess my son was right, engine fires right up, ran very smooth, wife and son both said the needle hit the marker line before the red zone when they pulled over and shut the engine so engine is not damaged.

My guess is that under the pressure, the old aged plastic part of hose connector just gave up, that's why I replaced all the hoses with the plastic connectors, the 2 hoses behind the engine do not have plastic connectors, they are clamped on but when I have chance I will replace them too.