Thread: '99 Z3 Roadster Exterior Door Handle Replacement not Going Well

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster

'99 Z3 Roadster Exterior Door Handle Replacement not Going Well

I have been helping my son replace the exterior door handles on his Z3. Both of them broke over the course of a couple of months. He picked up a replacement set of used handles off eBay and they appear to be identical to the originals. I have posted pics. After swapping the lock cylinders, we have attempted to install the drivers side handle but are having some difficulties. Everything seems to be lining up properly but for some reason, when you lift the handle all the way, the lever mechanism inside the door won't quite make it far enough to release. We have tried at least a dozen times. A couple of times we even attempted to widen the post that goes into the lever mechanism using a couple of layers a vacuum hose, hoping that would allow us another 1/8 of an inch of downward push. This didn't work either. I can tell its not too far off because if with the handle pulled to its limit, I can reach the lever mechanism with a screw driver through the hole in the end of the door, and just barely kick it with the screw driver and it will open. In the pics, the one without the lock cylinder is the original handle and the one with is the replacement. I have also included a pic of the inside of the door to show what I am calling the lever mechanism. If anyone has run into this before or has any better ideas, we would really appreciate it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Any chance that you ended up with an E36 handle, and not a Z3 handle? Can you compare your part numbers?

I don't know how they vary, but they are different part numbers. The exterior surround trim is the same between the two, but that doesn't mean the linkage is. A minor difference in a pivot or arm length would give you trouble, and BMW has a history of such things.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinci View Post
    Any chance that you ended up with an E36 handle, and not a Z3 handle? Can you compare your part numbers?

I don't know how they vary, but they are different part numbers. The exterior surround trim is the same between the two, but that doesn't mean the linkage is. A minor difference in a pivot or arm length would give you trouble, and BMW has a history of such things.

Looked like all the part numbers matched so we tried replacing the passenger side to see if we would have any better luck with that one, and it went right in, works like a charm. Tried the drivers side again and still no luck. Cant tell what is causing the problem. Unless I can figure that out I may just have to figure on a way to modify the lever but I hate doing that.

Can anyone confirm that the e36 and Z3 door handles are interchangeable? My e36 Drivers is broken but is NLA, but the Z3 is still available. Has anyone tried swapping in either combo?