Thread: Supercharger losing oil

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC

Supercharger losing oil

I have a Eurosport Twin-screw supercharger and change oil in it at the beginning of each driving season. In the past I would always be low on oil when I changed it, even though I only put about a thousand miles a year on it. So last year I installed a catch can between the supercharger and the intake. When I went to change oil this spring, I measured how much was in the catch can. It was one ounce and along with the three ounces I recovered when I drained it (total fill is four ounces)showed me the catch can was doing its job.

Now my question is, if I would disconnect the hose coming from the catch can to the intake and just install a small breather cap, would there be any disadvantage to that? My thinking is, if vacuum is not sucking oil from the supercharger, the catch can might have very little oil in it each season. Any feedback would be appreciated.

My Cars
    ...it depands
    I have very limited knowledge of TS system, so I'm not sure how valuable my post would be. But what you're describing would be open to an atmosphere system. And it makes it much easier to maintain since the oil residue won't stain the air pipe (which would require routine cleanup). At least, that's how it works in my centrifugal type. And I haven't noticed any disadvantages in my application either.

Anyhow, it does seem strange that the TW is seeping out oil though because the centrifugal type seeps very minimally (via a breather bolt's hole in extremely high psi like above 12 psi). But again, I don't have much experience with the TS system.

Btw, if you don't mind asking, what type of gear oil do you use for the TS SC?
    Last edited by nevan; 05-31-2023 at 02:46 PM.
    2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
    2011 328i E92 Space Gray Metallic / Leder Dakota+Oyster
    Since 1987 12 euros / 2 kdms / 2 jdms
    - Zach

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    Quote Originally Posted by nevan View Post
    I have very limited knowledge of TS system, so I'm not sure how valuable my post would be. But what you're describing would be open to an atmosphere system. And it makes it much easier to maintain since the oil residue won't stain the air pipe (which would require routine cleanup). At least, that's how it works in my centrifugal type. And I haven't noticed any disadvantages in my application either.

Anyhow, it does seem strange that the TW is seeping out oil though because the centrifugal type seeps very minimally (via a breather bolt's hole in extremely high psi like above 12 psi). But again, I don't have much experience with the TS system.

Btw, if you don't mind asking, what type of gear oil do you use for the TS SC?
    20230531_170538.jpg
    Redline W 50
    I've read in the archives of several having this issue over the years. I'm really considering disconnecting from the intake and venting to atmosphere.

My Cars
    ...it depands
    Thank you! Also, a PM sent.
    2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
    2011 328i E92 Space Gray Metallic / Leder Dakota+Oyster
    Since 1987 12 euros / 2 kdms / 2 jdms
    - Zach