My Cars
    2009 X5 35d, 2000 328 i

Does identical replacement battery need to be programmed in?

I am replacing this Interstate MX49/H8 with another one for my 2010 X5 35d. Anyone know if it needs to be learned into the computer if it is the same specs?

My Cars
    '13 E70 & '15 F15 MSport
    The computer needs to be "informed" it is dealing with a new battery so it cam adjust the charging rate as it ages. Foxwell, Bimmergeek Protools to name but two offer this service. I have replaced two batteries in two weeks and used Protools to register them to the computer. Both batteries were original to the vehicles. One from 2012 (Stamped on the battery.) and the other was from 2015.

My Cars
    BMW X5 3.0i
    The car needs to be told the battery is new to reset the charging system or it will damage the new battery.

Reason enough to get a proper scanner.

I think bimmerlink will do battery reset. That's the best bang for buck scanner option largely because you get proper codes but mostly due to realtime data of things like the coolant pump RPM and oil/coolant temp.

My Cars
    2009 X5 35d, 2000 328 i
    Thanks y'all, I actually ended up getting upgraded to an AGM version of this battery, so its a MTX-49/H8 with 900 CCA and CA 1000. I have a Foxwell so this should be straight forward, but does car need to be off to do it? I've found that Foxwell will zap the battery and I don't have a charger with me. Drove back 15 min from battery dealer with no issue but can program it after work before I leave.

My Cars
    BMW X5 3.0i
    I do most of my foxwell programming key on engine off. You just replaced battery it can handle the draw for five-fifteen minutes without the engine running.

My new 720 will shut off the engine for you when performing certain operations. That's pretty freaky the first time it did that. I can't recall if it restarted the engine after. (that only happens for me on the f10 chassis or possibly I never did that procedure on my e70)

My Cars
    '13 E70 & '15 F15 MSport
    I used Protools from bimmergeeks both times and it took 5 minutes in all.

My Cars
    2009 X5 35d, 2000 328 i
    I was hoping that was the case, but the car starts warning of low battery voltage immediately when I do that and it gets to 11.8v, but then again its kinda why I'm replacing the battery under warranty so maybe I'll try it again. It did seem strange that it goes 12.6 +/- to 11.8 in a matter of 30 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by andrewwynn View Post
    I do most of my foxwell programming key on engine off. You just replaced battery it can handle the draw for five-fifteen minutes without the engine running.

My new 720 will shut off the engine for you when performing certain operations. That's pretty freaky the first time it did that. I can't recall if it restarted the engine after. (that only happens for me on the f10 chassis or possibly I never did that procedure on my e70)

My Cars
    BMW X5 3.0i
    I was under the impression you already replaced and need to code new battery into the DME.

With foxwell scanner you can pull up the histogram of battery charge state and it paints a picture of how worn out the battery.

You don't need to code before replacing and if not coding and just looking there's no issue of looking with engine running.

About ⅓ the time somebody things their battery has failed it's the starter so get a measurement of the current draw on the starter to make sure it's not in the death throws. Many many threads start out with battery died only to add on nope was the alternator then oops actually it was the starter the whole time.

My Cars
    2009 X5 35d, 2000 328 i
    Yes sorry I meant that the Foxwell drained the battery on other occasions, have not hooked it up with this new battery yet. Likely I have an overnight phantom draw somewhere in the car but the battery was on its last month of warranty so Interstate tested it bad and gave me a new AGM version, gotta take that! Starter is a year old but I know that doesn't mean much, I threw it in when I was misdiagnosing a failed LP fuel pump

My Cars
    '13 E70 & '15 F15 MSport
    If you are changing battery types (AGM/flooded) then you'll have to program that change and register the battery. Same applies if you change the battery Ah size.

My Cars
    2009 X5 35d, 2000 328 i
    Does anyone have the Foxwell NT809? I went through what it called the "battery replacement" program and it seemed so automated like it read the details of the battery and just did the update without verifying what it read. Much faster start now with the higher CCA.

My Cars
    BMW X5 3.0i

The lower end scanners will only reset the date no update of type of battery or size.

Get a reading on the current draw of the starter. Big new battery will mask a starter that's drawing too much current
    Last edited by andrewwynn; 05-31-2023 at 10:01 AM.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    As already mentioned…if you change the type of battery as well as replace the battery with new…you need to do TWO things, now. Many times owners conflate/confuse the two and combine them into one thing…but they are TWO different procedures with different requirements.

You need to “CODE” the changes if you replace with a different type and/or different spec battery. Then once you’ve coded the new changes…you then “REGISTER” the new battery to start a new baseline.

Code the battery if you change the type and/or specs:

Register anytime you install a new battery:

Last edited by Qsilver7; 06-01-2023 at 08:50 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323i
    If the battery AH does not match the exact value in the list (like Interstate AGM is 95 or 100) do you select the lower or higher closes value?

My Cars
    BMW X5 3.0i

Quote Originally Posted by NewB2Beemer View Post
    If the battery AH does not match the exact value in the list (like Interstate AGM is 95 or 100) do you select the lower or higher closes value?
    I rounded down in my case. I figured more likely the bat maker would boast higher than actual over give you more than claimed.
    Last edited by andrewwynn; 06-08-2023 at 01:02 PM.

My Cars
    2009 X5 35d, 2000 328 i
    Are you using Foxwell? I noticed the same thing as I've got a 95 Ah AGM going in and the options seem to be 90 and 100 Ah so I chose 90.

Last edited by bluefish7; 06-08-2023 at 04:51 PM.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    I would suggest to select the “closest” AH rating if what’s listed is not what your battery is.

There seems to be a range of 90AH/92AH/95AH batteries in the 49/H8 battery class size…if I was replacing my battery and it was one of these AH ratings…I would use the 90AH configuration. If you are using a 105AH or 110AH battery (usually found in the 95R/H9 battery class size) I would go with the 105AH configuration.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2000 BMW 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by bluefish7 View Post
    Are you using Foxwell? I noticed the same thing as I've got a 95 Ah AGM going in and the options seem to be 90 and 100 Ah so I chose 90.
    Sorry, I have ISTA installed on an old laptop. I do not yet need a new battery just thought I asked.

My Cars
    2016 X5 35i xDrive
    Quote Originally Posted by bluefish7 View Post
    Does anyone have the Foxwell NT809? I went through what it called the "battery replacement" program and it seemed so automated like it read the details of the battery and just did the update without verifying what it read. Much faster start now with the higher CCA.
    Will the Foxwell NT510 Elite both code the battery and register it to the truck?

My Cars
    '13 E70 & '15 F15 MSport
    Foxwell are very "cagey" about battery coding/registering. When I bought my 530 I was told by the rep all battery coding/registering was covered. When I got the unit I found it would not allow you change battery type/size. I contacted them and they told me "we decided to change that feature". That's why I use Bimmergeek's ProTools app. No more money to Foxwell.