Thread: In 2023, what is the best options for low compression headgaskets?

My Cars
    ///M Roadster, Cooper S

In 2023, what is the best options for low compression headgaskets?

In the middle of performing this job after having the infamous MLS gasket failure. Wondering what my options are for sealing; is it still cutring and spacer combo? (0.140). Seems like it was the go-to 5+ years ago, but is that still the consensus? Thanks.
    Last edited by billyr3d; 05-30-2023 at 12:16 PM.

* 19x10 & 8.5 Work VS-XX -Rogue 18mm spacers * Hankook Ventus RS3 * H&R coil-overs * Dinan strut brace * Magnaflow 14815 custom stepped tips. * TT stg2 Turbo -416rwhp * AEM truboost * Mocal / Ireland Engineering oil cooler * Roadstersound 8 with custom set-up * flipped hats *RF Rear Subframe Kit *STG3 F1 Racing Clucth & Flywheel

My Cars
    1998 M3, 2001 530i
    I had the cutring and spacer leak and was thinking of trying MLS, lol. At least the copper spacer is reusable with annealing, tho. Up to 10 psi, the spacer with an Elring on top was holding up okay

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

My Cars
    ///M Roadster, Cooper S
    Ugh. Not what I was wanting to hear. My MLS gasket held up for quite a few years of occasional driving. But I was looking for a longer term solution. I'll wait for a few more anecdotal stories before deciding I suppose.

My Cars
    ///M Roadster, Cooper S
    Much quieter in here than I remember. Where are the seasoned FI guys these days?

* 19x10 & 8.5 Work VS-XX -Rogue 18mm spacers * Hankook Ventus RS3 * H&R coil-overs * Dinan strut brace * Magnaflow 14815 custom stepped tips. * TT stg2 Turbo -416rwhp * AEM truboost * Mocal / Ireland Engineering oil cooler * Roadstersound 8 with custom set-up * flipped hats *RF Rear Subframe Kit *STG3 F1 Racing Clucth & Flywheel

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Have read of only a few cut-ring failures, versus many MLS. Probably those cut ring failures were due to the install of the tune.

My Cars
    93' Turbo 325i Coupe
    The copper spacer and cutring gasket is the way to go. Avoid MLS, soooo many failures. I run the spacer/cutring gasket and has been running well for a solid 5yrs without issue. Albeit, a lot of the boosted guys these days say you don't need to really worry about lowering compression due to current fuel quality, particularly if you plan on running E85. I haven't heard of many cutring gaskets failing compared to MLS.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by billyr3d View Post
    Much quieter in here than I remember. Where are the seasoned FI guys these days?
    Probably all driving F80's lol

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I still have my turbo E36 M3, but drove an E90 M3 from 2011-2021 and now have an F90 M5. If I keep the E36 M3, I will cut out some rust, repaint it and recover the seats since the car is showing its age. Have driven it only about 2k miles per year for the last few years.

My Cars
    ///M Roadster, Cooper S
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Have read of only a few cut-ring failures, versus many MLS. Probably those cut ring failures were due to the install of the tune.
    Thanks - Cut-ring ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by dominator293 View Post
    The copper spacer and cutring gasket is the way to go. Avoid MLS, soooo many failures. I run the spacer/cutring gasket and has been running well for a solid 5yrs without issue. Albeit, a lot of the boosted guys these days say you don't need to really worry about lowering compression due to current fuel quality, particularly if you plan on running E85. I haven't heard of many cutring gaskets failing compared to MLS.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Probably all driving F80's lol
    lol, good point.

My Cars
    94e36, 00e39 532it turbo
    If you don't retorque your head studs after a heat cycle/ first drive, the cut ring is known to weep/ leak. Pain in the #%* but worth the piece of mind.

Mechanicalzen- I had the cutring and spacer leak and was thinking of trying MLS, lol. At least the copper spacer is reusable with annealing, tho. Up to 10 psi, the spacer with an Elring on top was holding up okay
    Did you retorque your head studs? Was it a different issue? I know one e46 that blew out his rings when he melted his wastegate line. He said it was only in the 20 something psi?

https://youtu.be/ORMKzIOiV34

That e46 video, it has a iron block with dual vanos swapped into a m52b28 so it looks like a m54 but it's not. (M54 crank ? Can't recall. )

I have a m54b30 with MLS and gasket... no leaks after a few oil changes (less than 10k)

I also have a 9 to 1 j.e piston / eagle rod cut ring s52. It did weep at first on exhaust side, retorque seemed like they were tight, but I followed ces , so I can't be sure. (re torque one at a time after you break it loose) Its great now. No drama, no leaks or weeps. The original weeping was just dried coolant drip stains on the underside of the head gasket where it sticks out a mm or 2 below the exhaust ports.

the m54 was never retorqued by me. (I got it used ) when I checked the studs they did not move at the suggested # ( raceware studs for aluminum block require less torque , can't recall the #s)
    Last edited by Sio2crew; 06-04-2023 at 06:16 PM.