My Cars
    BMW Z3

mechanical doubt x5 e53

Good afternoon mates. I know that it is difficult many times without seeing it in front of you, to clarify a mechanical problem. My x5 has been around for a while and when it wants to, when decelerating and at a speed of 30km/h, it howls in front (as if it were bearing the wheel masses); but I'm not sure since by rolling the front wheels in the air with my hands and taking the suspension, I can't feel or hear well that it's bearings. Can anyone tell me something more specific?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

My Cars
    BMW X5 3.0i
    The most surefire way to test for wheel bearing is to swap to a different width tire.

Eg if you are in 255s switch to the 235 spare. Wheel bearings have two races and the weight will be in the inner or outer race unless there is sideways force to flip to the other race.

I've determined that 235 puts the load on the inner bottom and outer top.

Bearings really really never wear out they get damaged from impact typically on a race that doesn't hold the weight except in corners that's how it can be intermittent.

Anyhow you push with 50-60# the car pushes with 1200-1600 each corner. Not one time in 100 you'll find which bearing is bad by hand. But swap on a 235 where it's usually 255 and if the bearing is damaged you'll know immediately.

If you hear a howl from engine braking you want to explore the front dif, CV axles and the front prop shaft at the transfer case.

My Cars
    BMW Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewwynn View Post
    The most surefire way to test for wheel bearing is to swap to a different width tire.

Eg if you are in 255s switch to the 235 spare. Wheel bearings have two races and the weight will be in the inner or outer race unless there is sideways force to flip to the other race.

I've determined that 235 puts the load on the inner bottom and outer top.

Bearings really really never wear out they get damaged from impact typically on a race that doesn't hold the weight except in corners that's how it can be intermittent.

Anyhow you push with 50-60# the car pushes with 1200-1600 each corner. Not one time in 100 you'll find which bearing is bad by hand. But swap on a 235 where it's usually 255 and if the bearing is damaged you'll know immediately.

If you hear a howl from engine braking you want to explore the front dif, CV axles and the front prop shaft at the transfer case.
    Do you mean that I put the spare wheel on the wheel hub to check and go for a spin, can I find out which one is damaged? . Do you think that due to the symptoms exposed, it is not from wheel bearings and yes, from the front differential?.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

My Cars
    BMW X5 3.0i
    Yup that's the best way to confirm a bad wheel bearing. A bearing that howls occasionally will howl constantly when you flip from 255s to 235s. I've used this method for most of a decade on e53.

It will also confirm is not a bearing to retire it out.

Tip: it can also confirm it by making the sound go away; if the damaged race was the primary race the sound will go away when you put on the spare.

The trick will work if you usually use 235 and can borrow a 255 from a buddy.