Thread: "Instrument cluster: Data-filing difference to lights switching center" code (190)

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0

"Instrument cluster: Data-filing difference to lights switching center" code (190)

Only code found when investigating persistent airbag warning light on, after taking care of a passenger occupancy sensor mat issue. Dealer reprogrammed but can't clear code. Up to $700 in their unsuccessful diagnosis/repair so far. BMW now recommends "start" by replacing light control module (LCM) with new (another $700) plus encoding that ($250), to "see" if that fixes things.

2004 Z4 3.0 with 202000+ miles. My understanding from this group and other forums is that the LCM was designed to only record up to 300K km, so it likely will always have a mileage related data filing difference with the Kombi/IKE, so seems like a fruitless endeavor to me. And it's not clear to me that this fault code is the cause of or is just incidental to the air bag light issue. The folks at the the dealership don't seem to know what I'm talking about. Unfortunately the 2 local indies that I deal with won't do coding/programming.

Any ideas?

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    Quote Originally Posted by docobdo View Post
    Only code found when investigating persistent airbag warning light on, after taking care of a passenger occupancy sensor mat issue. Dealer reprogrammed but can't clear code. Up to $700 in their unsuccessful diagnosis/repair so far. BMW now recommends "start" by replacing light control module (LCM) with new (another $700) plus encoding that ($250), to "see" if that fixes things.

2004 Z4 3.0 with 202000+ miles. My understanding from this group and other forums is that the LCM was designed to only record up to 300K km, so it likely will always have a mileage related data filing difference with the Kombi/IKE, so seems like a fruitless endeavor to me. And it's not clear to me that this fault code is the cause of or is just incidental to the air bag light issue. The folks at the the dealership don't seem to know what I'm talking about. Unfortunately the 2 local indies that I deal with won't do coding/programming.

Any ideas?
    What tool did you use to identify the error code….. scan tool or ISTAD/INPA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0
    Dealer using ISTA, I'm using INPA and a C310 unit, indy was using an Autoland unit.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    I am not sure about all this data filling stuff. I wouldn’t think it would be related to the airbag light but who knows. In INPA are you reading codes from the Safety Information Module? Errors will be stored there in individual sensors, not under the Airbag section. I forget exactly how it works but was able to trace an airbag light to a missing clip on a door airbag with INPA in that section. Other known culprits are the seatbelt pretensioners. Hopefully some other codes can be found.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkitect View Post
    I am not sure about all this data filling stuff. I wouldn’t think it would be related to the airbag light but who knows. In INPA are you reading codes from the Safety Information Module? Errors will be stored there in individual sensors, not under the Airbag section. I forget exactly how it works but was able to trace an airbag light to a missing clip on a door airbag with INPA in that section. Other known culprits are the seatbelt pretensioners. Hopefully some other codes can be found.
    No, no other airbag/SRS related codes found in SIM, side pillar, door, or any other expected sensors/modules. I'm wondering if it could be a clock spring issue, but all other steering wheel functions are working.

I also found the "Passenger Seat Belt Off" indicator light located to the right of the gear shifter never comes on - not at start-up testing, whether or not the passenger seat is occupied, and whether or not the key switch for the passenger airbag is turned on or off. Spent $50 for a replacement indicator light, but which still doesn't light up, and dash board airbag warning light still on. Urghh!