Thread: It's 2023 - any new options for gauge cluster swap?

My Cars
    '91 e31

It's 2023 - any new options for gauge cluster swap?

Symptoms:
    1) Wonky orange/lcd readout for the last 6 months or so. All pixels lit, sometimes while driving will clear up and display properly for a few minutes, then go back to all lit again
    2) All gauges just stopped working completely a week ago. Once, they bounced back for 30 min or so, then dead again. Did the "hold trip reset, turn key to position 1, release trip reset button" thing - no movement

Having read through all the old threads here, options here in SoCal seem pretty limited. There is the excellent "Instrument Cluster Swap" wiki - but with no access to the proper computer and interface, that's not something I'll be able to accomplish on my own.

1) Is there anyone who repairs these in the states? Anywhere I could send my instrument cluster to be fixed?
    2) Barring that - is there anyone who can recode a used cluster to clear the "used" flag so I can install in my car?

As one can imagine - the thought of shelling out nearly $2k for a new backplate to merge with my 32-year old gauges is a bit hard to swallow.

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    you could bring it to see me... I'm sure we could get you fixed up.
    '91 Dinan 860 Stage III (new 6L engine)
    '91 Dinan 850 TT stage III (brand new engine) 21st Century Tech meets 18th Century Dinan...
    '91 850i 6sp (mint) (sold)
    '90 Dinan 750iL TT stage III (Guido - The Beast)
    '94 850 CSi The Detroit Auto Show car (restored to factory perfect) (sold)
    '96 850Ci, The George Carlin car
    ''73 3.0 csi, '08 535i, '03 X5 4.6is
    ...and a few other non BMW cars

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    I have a brand new "virgin" cluster board, just fyi.

My Cars
    '91 e31
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon850 View Post
    I have a brand new "virgin" cluster board, just fyi.
    Oh my - do I dare ask the price?

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Quote Originally Posted by rockytt View Post
    Oh my - do I dare ask the price?
    Dealer is showing $2200, I guess I could let mine go for 1K.
    Part # 62118354454

My Cars
    '91 e31
    Update:

Popped in a brand-new backplate (thank you, Ed!) and things are better, although not yet resolved. All the lights in the cluster work now, including the low-fuel light - however the gauges still don't budge, even with the self-test.

Feels like a motto for these cars could be "better, but not all the way fixed yet"

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    rockytt: That is very strange since the instrument cluster test can work without any other module connected. It has no dependencies on other electronics in the car. You can start the test even on your bench by applying 12V to the right pins of the instrument cluster. It's possible the old electronic backplane had a defect but two different backplanes having exactly the same defect? Very unlikely...

I wonder whether it's a power problem. Maybe the instrument cluster does not get the terminal R (accessories) signal? Can you disconnect the instrument cluster and then measure the voltage over following pins of connector X16?

• 21-15: Should be (permanent) 12 V
    • 23-15: 0 V with ignition off and 12 V with the ignition key in position I

My Cars
    '91 e31
    revtor: thanks for the reply and the troubleshooting - will give that a go this weekend - just got the gauges back in and have a list of items from my wife to attend to that do not include "working on your damn car"

update: I will now add "possessed by satan" as the major issue - see vid below:
    Gauges now work, however when I start the car everything zeros out and I get "EEEE" on the LCD display (this is with a new backplate installed)

Last edited by rockytt; 05-27-2023 at 02:04 PM.

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    *sigh*.... when you are finished throwing the parts cannon at it, call me. None of this so far was necessary.
    '91 Dinan 860 Stage III (new 6L engine)
    '91 Dinan 850 TT stage III (brand new engine) 21st Century Tech meets 18th Century Dinan...
    '91 850i 6sp (mint) (sold)
    '90 Dinan 750iL TT stage III (Guido - The Beast)
    '94 850 CSi The Detroit Auto Show car (restored to factory perfect) (sold)
    '96 850Ci, The George Carlin car
    ''73 3.0 csi, '08 535i, '03 X5 4.6is
    ...and a few other non BMW cars

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    I'm confused about the EEEE. I thought this was a 'virgin' instrument cluster backplane (doesn't matter whether it was brand new or made virgin again)?

The EEEE indicates the EKM and instrument cluster do not match and refuse to synchronize. It's perfectly normal the gauges do not work in this situation (the instrument cluster test should work always). When you put the instrument cluster (or EKM) of another E31 in your car this is exactly the behavior you will get. Both instrument cluster and EKM have a 'used' flag and when both are set the modules will refuse to synchronize and display EEEE. A virgin instrument cluster (or EKM) on the other hand has the 'used' flag unset. Now the modules will synchronize with each other. After using the virgin module with its counterpart for over 8 operating hours, the used flag is set and they are bonded to each other. From then on the part can no longer be put in another vehicle or you'll get the dreaded EEEE. If you remove the virgin module before the 8 operating hours elapse, the counter resets again for use in another vehicle.

So either the instrument cluster backplane was not virgin or your EKM is really acting up. But that does not explain why the instrument cluster test didn't work earlier. Are there maybe multiple issues with the car? Really puzzling.

I'm afraid that without access to a proper diagnostic system it's going to be difficult to check this...

Can you check the operation of the instrument cluster test a few times to make sure it remains working? Then swap in the original backplane again, switch on ignition, wait 15 seconds, switch off ignition and then initiate the instrument cluster test. Does it now work again with the old backplane? And after exiting the instrument test and switching on ignition again, do you get EEEE or the proper mileage? Do the gauges work?

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Quote Originally Posted by revtor View Post
    I'm confused about the EEEE. I thought this was a 'virgin' instrument cluster backplane (doesn't matter whether it was brand new or made virgin again)?

The EEEE indicates the EKM and instrument cluster do not match and refuse to synchronize. It's perfectly normal the gauges do not work in this situation (the instrument cluster test should work always). When you put the instrument cluster (or EKM) of another E31 in your car this is exactly the behavior you will get. Both instrument cluster and EKM have a 'used' flag and when both are set the modules will refuse to synchronize and display EEEE. A virgin instrument cluster (or EKM) on the other hand has the 'used' flag unset. Now the modules will synchronize with each other. After using the virgin module with its counterpart for over 8 operating hours, the used flag is set and they are bonded to each other. From then on the part can no longer be put in another vehicle or you'll get the dreaded EEEE. If you remove the virgin module before the 8 operating hours elapse, the counter resets again for use in another vehicle.

So either the instrument cluster backplane was not virgin or your EKM is really acting up. But that does not explain why the instrument cluster test didn't work earlier. Are there maybe multiple issues with the car? Really puzzling.

I'm afraid that without access to a proper diagnostic system it's going to be difficult to check this...

Can you check the operation of the instrument cluster test a few times to make sure it remains working? Then swap in the original backplane again, switch on ignition, wait 15 seconds, switch off ignition and then initiate the instrument cluster test. Does it now work again with the old backplane? And after exiting the instrument test and switching on ignition again, do you get EEEE or the proper mileage? Do the gauges work?
    Yeah I think it's weird too, the backplate was for sure new, it was never connected to the car(although it did sit on the shelve for a very long time) ... When Zeke first connected it, backplate synchronized with the ekm showing proper mileage and all lights worked fine however the gauges did not work. Now the gauges work but mileage is reading EEEEE.... WTH