RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Advice on removing n62 engine crankshaft hub out of an e60

My Cars
    E60

Advice on removing n62 engine crankshaft hub out of an e60

I've been trying to remove the hub for several days now. I have already removed the crankshaft bolt. The hub won't move at all. I've even tried using a harmonic balancer removal tools and it's bending.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    It looks like your tool may be jamming the key in the keyway. Try a pointier tip, or remove it and try two small prybars.

EDIT: I've just rechecked factory directions since it has been a while since I did this on an N62, and that hub should slip right off after you remove the bolt. Try removing the center bolt of your tool and tap outwards on the tool. The tool has almost certainly jammed the key.
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 05-21-2023 at 10:37 AM.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    E60
    @bmwdirtracer, thanks for replying. I've been posting at other forums with no luck.

As far as jamming the key, what does that mean? The whole hub spin with that tool on and acutally rotating the piston as well. I feel like since it has been a while, oil siezed on it and making it bind to the sprocket.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    There's a little notch in the crankshaft, and there's an identical notch in the hub. There is a squared off, crescent-moon shaped "key" which locks these two items together. That key may be held in a position, by your tool's center bolt, which is preventing movement.

Remove the center bolt of your tool. Then with a small hammer, tap the two other bolts of your tool INWARDS, towards the engine, to free up any possible binding. Then, use the tool itself, gently, like a small slide hammer, to tap and pull outwards on the hub.

The hub should really just slide right off, so if you free up the jammed key, you really won't need the center bolt to force it.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    E60
    Thanks @bmwdirtracer for all the replies, I haven't got a chance to get to working on the car until today. But I was able to figure it out.

For anyone having the same problem, I rented the puller tool at autozone. This is what I did, you will need to screw in the crankshaft big bolt several turns and then use the tool as shown in the pics below. You should be able to crank it right out!!!

Last edited by Koolcat; 06-01-2023 at 09:35 PM.