Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Key left on overnight, No crank now. Help appreciated.

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    Who's Abel??!! .lol

Well inpa apparently works! If you want to trouble shoot read the 300 pages of the z3 diagnostics thread.

So, to me it looks like its not starting cause of the EWS. Don't clear the codes, just give EWS sync a shot, I think that will solve things. If everything runs fine then a lot of those codes will go away on their own. If a code doesn't leave then you can try clearing them but take a screen shot cause inpa is the best for diagnostics.

- - - Updated - - -

Be sure to close down inpa before giving ews sync a shot.
    Lol assumed it was 328 power 04

Unfortunately, I tried the EWS Sync first after installing the INPA off the Z3 thread to get the cables drivers. Com3 is the port I selected installation as its the usb cable port.
    Nothing happened when trying to read the ISN.

When the EWS Sync didnt work, I went into INPA to get the error messages.
    Well, I cleared the codes but screen shot everything. Looking into similar problems for INPA not registering my Battery or Ignition on main screen. Possibly messed something up.
    Last edited by E36GR; 05-27-2023 at 03:49 PM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    I am Abel.

I think your EWS module may be dying or dead. A complete lack of signal will not be fixed by any sync process. You can try it, but I'm not convinced it will do anything now.

A few options left:
    -Clone EWS module into a known good used one. I can do this if needed.
    -EWS delete the DME and bypass the starter wires in EWS (medium skill, but it can be done with the cables you have and reflash of the DME)
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Ewssync requires .net framework 2.0 apparently.

Read this thread:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...hlight=Ewssync
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    I am Abel.

I think your EWS module may be dying or dead. A complete lack of signal will not be fixed by any sync process. You can try it, but I'm not convinced it will do anything now.

A few options left:
    -Clone EWS module into a known good used one. I can do this if needed.
    -EWS delete the DME and bypass the starter wires in EWS (medium skill, but it can be done with the cables you have and reflash of the DME)
    Thanks Abel, I will try to get the sync to work first then go to 2nd,3rd suggestion.

Since the signal from the battery and ignition in the INPA program are not registering as On. Would that be because of a possible misstep in the installation?
    I have power with key in ignition. From what limited knowledge of INPA, In order to attempt to sync the program it needs to register as On not Off.

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    Ewssync requires .net framework 2.0 apparently.

Read this thread:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...hlight=Ewssync
    I read in that thread that the 4.7 net framework on windows 7 worked fine.Using that as an example only because im on windows 10.
    I'm not sure how I can track down the 2.0 version.

-----
    Found it on Microsoft site, Will try it in a little bit when the sun goes down, Literally have my desktop in the garage.
    Last edited by E36GR; 05-27-2023 at 04:52 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Its OK to install both.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Prolly bad dme relay or starter relay. The ecu would have a code for ews not being fulfilled correct?
    Jumping the ews wires at the module also disables the other interlocks like the brake pedal /safetly switch if I remember correctly, and essentially leaves only the dme interlock (no spark) the only protection.
    So... check the safety start brake pedal switch. Also, make sure your battery terminals are clean. Try a hard reset by leaving the battery unplugged for a few minutes. If you charged the battery while it was still installed in the car, the dead battery condition can cause all sorts of wierd stuff even after youve charged it.

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderg0d View Post
    Prolly bad dme relay or starter relay. The ecu would have a code for ews not being fulfilled correct?
    Jumping the ews wires at the module also disables the other interlocks like the brake pedal /safetly switch if I remember correctly, and essentially leaves only the dme interlock (no spark) the only protection.
    So... check the safety start brake pedal switch. Also, make sure your battery terminals are clean. Try a hard reset by leaving the battery unplugged for a few minutes. If you charged the battery while it was still installed in the car, the dead battery condition can cause all sorts of wierd stuff even after youve charged it.
    Thanks, I'll check those relays and see.
    Yes, if wires are jumped (to get crank) at module, the secondary measure kicks in to cut spark and fuel. (found out the hard way) Put everything back together.

I did try to jump and let charge back up while in the car as I thought it was a simple dead battery issue in the beginning. Along with a hard reset, also spare key all resulting in no crank but full power for dash/lights/etc.

The battery terminals are clean, but battery is on older side. When taking a reading off the battery says read as weak before running jumpers to a different vehicle battery.Later on the other vehicle wasnt connected via jumpers while trying to run ewssync or INPA. I hope I didn't ruin anything if they battery wasn't at full charge while trying to read the data.

Mentioning this because I saw a video stating that make sure the battery is fully charged why trying to run diagnostics otherwise it could run the potential of bricking my DME. Unfortunately seen this video after I tried all day yesterday to figure it out.

A new or other battery from a different vehicle to eliminate that potential problem in reading data. Likely will go with the latter at the moment to get some more reading/potential resync just to get back on the road.
    I'm taking this experience in stride because getting mad doesn't do anything. Learning how to use INPA and the other software will be useful in the future for me.

If I continue to get nowhere, Ill resort to ews delete or the clone option.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    With the inpa codes your getting I think deleting ews from the DME is going to be the easiest solution.

You will need MS41 Quickflash. Be sure to make a backup of the Full and Partial parts of the ROM. Writing to the DME requires jumping two pairs of pins in the round service port under the hood (do not do this wrong). You need to read and understand what your doing. The ms41 quickflash site has info as well as RomRaider. If your not willing to get very technical then have someone help you.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by E36GR View Post
    Thanks Abel, I will try to get the sync to work first then go to 2nd,3rd suggestion.

Since the signal from the battery and ignition in the INPA program are not registering as On. Would that be because of a possible misstep in the installation?
    I have power with key in ignition. From what limited knowledge of INPA, In order to attempt to sync the program it needs to register as On not Off.
    All that EWS sync program does is read the ISN from the DME and then write it into EWS module.

You can do that with INPA very easily. DME ISN is found in the CODE menu of the MS41.1

Then you take that ISN and write it into the EWS module menu (adding a 0 in front to make it a total of 4 characters if not already 4 characters).
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1997 328i
    You can also read the reviews for that inpa cable in case some pins are getting bridged when they don't need to be.

My Cars
    NISSAN
    I read in that thread that the 4.7 net framework on windows 7 worked fine.Using that as an example only because im on windows 10.
    I'm not sure how I can track down the 2.0 version.

-----
    Found it on Microsoft site, Will try it in a little bit when the sun goes down, Literally have my desktop in the garage.
    Pay no attention to so much software INPA etc. They are making you lose your money and you have not solved anything. There are a number of steps that have to be done when the car loses power. You must disconnect the battery, wait a few minutes, then insert the key in position 1, press open and press the brake pedal, wait a few seconds and it should unlock. I asked at a bmw workshop. There they will tell you since I don't remember it well. Do not follow the advice you will lose money.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Well uninformed advice was bound to show up. Sigh.
    Why comment if you have zero knowledge?
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    NISSAN
    Well uninformed advice was bound to show up. Sigh.
    Why comment if you have zero knowledge?
    Am I lying?? Have you fixed something? I uninformed?? I have had a Bmw for 30 years. I have assembled and disassembled the engine on many occasions. and I know how the entire electrical system and any part of the car works.

- - - Updated - - -

Make no mistake because you don't know me. Maybe I don't understand the language well but that is not solved by buying INPA.

My Cars
    NISSAN
    Thanks for reply, I'll will search the forum about EWS alignment and learn what options I have. If all fails, it I'll go the deletion route.
    Code the key, in case the battery has run out or is new: put a key in the ignition, put it in position 1, and in less than 5 seconds you take the key out. Once out, do the following:
    The open button is pressed and without releasing it, the closing button three times, then the open button is released.
    The car responds by opening and closing the doors (or closing and opening) The same is repeated for the other key, BUT without having to put it in the contact, if it is done, a new programming is established.
    The car will respond and they are already coded

My Cars
    NISSAN
    there are 2 ways to cancel ews in a general way without the particularities of each system... by reprogramming the motor electronics or by means of an emulator circuit....

In terms of cost, the first is more expensive than the second.

- - - Updated - - -

This can also be:
    Take out the battery terminals and the sandpaper on the inside as well as the terminals, they usually lose contact over time in that area, there is also a star-shaped tool that comes at the ends to perform these functions if you don't want to get sanding.

Follow the ground cable and where it is screwed, loosen it and sand the sheet metal and the terminal until it shines, then mount it and spray it with terminals to protect it.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    INPA is free. It was never for sale. It is leaked BMW engineering software that is found anywhere on the internet.

EWS deletion is just the cost of the cable and the 2 pieces of wire used to put programming voltage.
    My comment stands, but you will find another way to argue uselessly again, so good luck.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by boeing747 View Post
    Am I lying?? Have you fixed something? I uninformed?? I have had a Bmw for 30 years. I have assembled and disassembled the engine on many occasions. and I know how the entire electrical system and any part of the car works.

- - - Updated - - -

Make no mistake because you don't know me. Maybe I don't understand the language well but that is not solved by buying INPA.
    He's the tech expert on here. lol
    I appreciate the input, But the only thing I purchased was the 2 cables. Which is needed for the INPA Program that was free to download because of good people like 328 Power 04 keeping it available to the public via his thread.
    Relax and enjoy the rest of the day like I am.
    Last edited by E36GR; 05-29-2023 at 04:16 PM.

My Cars
    1996 328i
    All that EWS sync program does is read the ISN from the DME and then write it into EWS module.

You can do that with INPA very easily. DME ISN is found in the CODE menu of the MS41.1

Then you take that ISN and write it into the EWS module menu (adding a 0 in front to make it a total of 4 characters if not already 4 characters).
    Ok when I tried the otherday to read the ISN from the DME using EWS Sync nothing happened. Double checked the cables in your troubleshooting page in the notepad of obd.

Tomorrow when I try again, Ill go into the Code menu in INPA and look for the ISN, then write it into the EWS module menu.

My Cars
    NISSAN
    INPA is free. It was never for sale. It is leaked BMW engineering software that is found anywhere on the internet.

EWS deletion is just the cost of the cable and the 2 pieces of wire used to put programming voltage.
    My comment stands, but you will find another way to argue uselessly again, so good luck.
    connector, pc rs232 port, windows xp, interface ads. Assuming that all of that is free or you already have it. Have you solved the problem?? I am giving you real solutions. I don't know how you know me to say what you say.

- - - Updated - - -

I appreciate the input, But the only thing I purchased was the 2 cables. Which is needed for the INPA Program that was free to download because of good people like 328 Power 04 keeping it available to the public via his thread.
    Very well, I am not saying or questioning whether he is an expert or not. He has done it for no reason with me. I don't quite understand what this is about.

My Cars
    NISSAN
    I'm talking about Eric93se and spyderg0d. I'm not talking about 328 poder 04 at all. These guys don't know anything. They are pretty damn dumb. Do not mind it.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Yeah, the EWS sync program just does the isn write process quickly. When the ISN is not matching, you will get a diag code for EWS tampering. Unfortunately the code you have for EWS loss of signal means the DME and EWS are not talking via their dedicated line. This is separately of the k-line network that you diagnose from.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by boeing747 View Post
    connector, pc rs232 port, windows xp, interface ads. Assuming that all of that is free or you already have it. Have you solved the problem?? I am giving you real solutions. I don't know how you know me to say what you say.

- - - Updated - - -

Very well, I am not saying or questioning whether he is an expert or not. He has done it for no reason with me. I don't quite understand what this is about.

1996+ 328i communicates completely fine (DME, EWS, airbag, etc) via k-dcan cable on USB and any modern Windows system. A kdcan cable + 20-pin adapter is $35 total, and he has this equipment working just fine if he read the codes.

But sure, go ahead and start sanding down the battery terminals first, because we ignored all the other information that was provided.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    I'm the dumb one for having him check regularly failing items rather than jumping into recoding?

You provided random information for an unknown problem. You just jumped to ews code by ignoring th entirety of the system or systems that are suspect. What are you 20 or just inexperienced?

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Holy cow, we help him and he's talking shit. I thought things were getting misunderstood because of a google translator lol.

Who the heck uses rs232 and ads interface lol anymore, that was over 10yrs ago.

boeing747 you better take it easy or we will ground your azz. lol.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast