Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Key left on overnight, No crank now. Help appreciated.

My Cars
    1996 328i

Question Key left on overnight, No crank now. Help appreciated.

Hello, I have a 1996 328i E36 that I left the key on overnight. After realizing the battery was drained. I figured a simple jump start will do but when I went tried to turn over, No crank

I check to see if I had a bad battery, So I put in a battery from different car. Yet still no crank. My battery is still good.
    Tried to use my spare key but still didn't crank.

Led me down the road of checking/replacing fuses. Still no crank.

At my wits end.

Searched online and found the EWS bypass. Took the glovebox apart and bridged the 1-3 on EWS plug. Finally was able to get the car to crank over. With Crank back I tried but still no start. I tried some starter fluid thru MAF and not even a stumble.
    My car will crank over but No spark it seems now.

I'm not sure what else I should check. Everything was fine the days before I left the key on.
    With leaving the key on draining the battery, what could cause the problem of no crank? What the solutions I haven't tried yet?

Appreciate any input as to what would cause this?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    If You bypassed the EWS and it cranks, it leads me to believe you have lost EWS alignment with the Key, which would shut off spark and injection, or rather just not turn it on. Searching this forum can lead you down how to deal with that. Unfortunately the easiest way with the 96+ E36 is to have the EWS deleted, which for me I have just sent the DME to Kassel Performance for a couple street cars I've deleted it on.

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Thanks for reply, I'll will search the forum about EWS alignment and learn what options I have. If all fails, it I'll go the deletion route.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Do not spend money to have the ews deleted. You should put the wires back together (that's not how you remove ews on your model). The app is called EWSsync its available on this forum

There are old threads on what you did and what went wrong, I did not look it up but there should be answers.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1997 328i
    The one old thread I found was all over the place. So start with EWSsync and go from t here.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    Do not spend money to have the ews deleted. You should put the wires back together (that's not how you remove ews on your model). The app is called EWSsync its available on this forum

There are old threads on what you did and what went wrong, I did not look it up but there should be answers.
    Ok thanks. I really don't want to delete anything, just want it to start and get it back on the road.

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Cant find a legit link for EWS sync. my computer flagged it as malware. What are other options?

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    I suggest reading codes in all modules first.

EWS2 does not lose sync with DME as there are no rolling codes. It's a fixed code which is impossible to lose. Besides if the EWS code was wrong, the starter would still crank. As such, syncing EWS is not going to do anything for you. If a spare key didn't work, then there's something else going on.

Read codes with a BMW scanner like INPA in DME and EWS module, and start there.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post

EWS2 does not lose sync with DME as there are no rolling codes. It's a fixed code which is impossible to lose. Besides if the EWS code was wrong, the starter would still crank. As such, syncing EWS is not going to do anything for you. If a spare key didn't work, then there's something else going on.

I unfortunately don't have a scanner to check all modules. Just a basic OB2 scanner.

Bare with me if they are redundant questions.

Everything was good until I left the key on and drained the battery. What are common causes for the starter not to engage after key left on while jumping the battery or switching out to a different battery?

If/when I put everything back together, "unbridge the EWS" I will not have the starter again. Catch 22.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    OP if the car was fine before and all you have to do is bridge the EWS plug to get the car to crank you have an EWS problem, It COULD be an input, clutch switch from a manual, or a P/N safety switch on an automatic. Unlikely to fail coincidentaly as the car died. The reason I suggested the EWS delete is because most people cannot do an alignment, don't have DIS or INPA to look at DME and EWS status and request to diagnose this issue properly. NO they do not have rolling code but, doesnt mean they don't lose alignment. Ive had plenty of tow in no crank 96+e36 that lose alignment. The EWS modules also fail. For a myriad of reasons I won't get into.

Keep it simple- you had a running driving car, the battery died, you bypass the EWS and you get partial function.

These are old cars, the modules and parts fail and, unsurprisingly back door software doesnt work, hence my lack of suggesting such a solution. I'm assuming you meant you jumped pin 1 to 3 at the EWS connector X1659, which will not signal the DME to work, only provide the ignition power to the start relay (6135.0 of the ETM). Which is exactly what my first post said. With the information you've given us that's the best I can give you. Nothing in the starter circuit will "die" by the battery going dead, UNLESS there is more to the story.

IF you want information to diagnose this with a multimeter, I can give you pointers but It will be a little involved depending on your skill level with electrical diagnostics. Hope this helps and hope this isn't your daily driver as this is a frustrating position.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    EWS sync:

PW

djfkg;sdmigbe[tgiebrtgosrt[erbtomeare-owargbpvdof,wermte9nrnvhsdofa-eprcu9r9['eobmj

https://dropden.com/b1ab197b1492

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by robby1693 View Post
    OP if the car was fine before and all you have to do is bridge the EWS plug to get the car to crank you have an EWS problem, It COULD be an input, clutch switch from a manual, or a P/N safety switch on an automatic. Unlikely to fail coincidentaly as the car died. The reason I suggested the EWS delete is because most people cannot do an alignment, don't have DIS or INPA to look at DME and EWS status and request to diagnose this issue properly. NO they do not have rolling code but, doesnt mean they don't lose alignment. Ive had plenty of tow in no crank 96+e36 that lose alignment. The EWS modules also fail. For a myriad of reasons I won't get into.

Keep it simple- you had a running driving car, the battery died, you bypass the EWS and you get partial function.

These are old cars, the modules and parts fail and, unsurprisingly back door software doesnt work, hence my lack of suggesting such a solution. I'm assuming you meant you jumped pin 1 to 3 at the EWS connector X1659, which will not signal the DME to work, only provide the ignition power to the start relay (6135.0 of the ETM). Which is exactly what my first post said. With the information you've given us that's the best I can give you. Nothing in the starter circuit will "die" by the battery going dead, UNLESS there is more to the story.

IF you want information to diagnose this with a multimeter, I can give you pointers but It will be a little involved depending on your skill level with electrical diagnostics. Hope this helps and hope this isn't your daily driver as this is a frustrating position.
    Yes, car was fine before. Unfortunately, this is my daily.
    I'm trying to keep it simple but at this point from your reply I'm in a little pickle. Thanks for reassuring me that nothing in the starter circuit will fault/die by battery going dead. Which originally led me to the EWS.
    Car is an Automatic. I've tried to start in Neutral, Park to neutral back to Park seeing if it was a reading it was in gear but that wasn't it. Yes, I jumped 1-3 pin in EWS connector (yellow harness), snipped the 4th green wire as stated in other thread write up.

I do all the work on my car so I can probably learn on the fly trying to get an electrical cat n mouse chase. Just need to get a multimeter.
    Let me know what additional information you need to provide a better overview of my situation?
    I'm willing to listen and learn to hopefully find the problem and to get me back on the road.

My Cars
    1996 328i
    EWS sync:

PW

djfkg;sdmigbe[tgiebrtgosrt[erbtomeare-owargbpvdof,wermte9nrnvhsdofa-eprcu9r9['eobmj

https://dropden.com/b1ab197b1492
    Thanks for the link, but get an error trying to extract the program. I'm on windows 10 64 bit. Only laptop i have is a older mac, Would this run on that or only compatible to windows?

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Use 7zip and windows. You need an inpa cable and the 2pin round adapter.

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Successful extraction, Can you post a link or picture of what I need to buy, I just dont want to get the wrong thing.

My Cars
    1996 328i
    INPA cable and 20 pin round adapter?

My Cars
    1997 328i
    The software for inpa is free in the 'z3 diagnostics thread'. Don't use any of the software onthe disc that comes with the inpa cable.

https://www.amazon.com/ASSEM%C2%AEBM.../dp/B00VACZMRI

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.amazon.com/OHP-FT232RL-R.../dp/B01KK0M5CK

My Cars
    1996 328i
    The software for inpa is free in the 'z3 diagnostics thread'. Don't use any of the software onthe disc that comes with the inpa cable.

https://www.amazon.com/ASSEM%C2%AEBM.../dp/B00VACZMRI

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.amazon.com/OHP-FT232RL-R.../dp/B01KK0M5CK
    Thanks! I really appreciate it as this is my daily.

Can I try to use the EWS sync program first before trying to download the INPA Software?

Or I must download the INPA program as well?

As for the software with the cable, Do I need to install any drivers to run the cable correctly?

As I understand I plug in the 20 pin adapter into the INPA cable that runs to my computer?

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Ews sync is independent of inpa, there are instructions in the sync folder.

Your pretty screwed if you don't know how to plug a cable in lol. The adapter is so you can plug in to the round connector under the hood. Read the z3 thread with the software there is step by step instructions.

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Ews sync is independent of inpa, there are instructions in the sync folder.

Your pretty screwed if you don't know how to plug a cable in lol. The adapter is so you can plug in to the round connector under the hood. Read the z3 thread with the software there is step by step instructions.
    Lol My questions might have me coming off like a dunce. Thanks for answering my questions. Cables come in tomorrow hopefully the EWS sync will solve it before having to download the INPA software off the z3 thread.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    You should probably just install inpa so that the drivers are installed for the cable. Don't use the disc that comes with the cable (unless you want a virus).

My Cars
    1996 328i
    You should probably just install inpa so that the drivers are installed for the cable. Don't use the disc that comes with the cable (unless you want a virus).
    Ok, Ill do that. Don't want a virus.

My Cars
    1996 328i
    error.png
    Hey, Thank you for the programs, I finally got my cables and everything downloaded. I have ran the error codes in the EWS Immmobilizer system. I screenshotted the error codes. Do Clear these codes? Re read? Not sure what to do next.
    Last edited by E36GR; 05-27-2023 at 03:39 PM.

My Cars
    1996 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post

Here are the codes
    error read p1.pngerror cod p2.png
    I'm not sure why in the INPA software both ignition and battery are off when plugged in and key on. I may be doing something wrong. Could you shed some light on some of my codes?

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Who's Abel??!! .lol

Well inpa apparently works! If you want to trouble shoot read the 300 pages of the z3 diagnostics thread.

So, to me it looks like its not starting cause of the EWS. Don't clear the codes, just give EWS sync a shot, I think that will solve things. If everything runs fine then a lot of those codes will go away on their own. If a code doesn't leave then you can try clearing them but take a screen shot cause inpa is the best for diagnostics.

- - - Updated - - -

Be sure to close down inpa before giving ews sync a shot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast