I purchased a 2007 530xi and have been slowly fixing it up. It's finally road-worthy but of course there's one last thing... the effing trunk won't open but the car constantly beeps at me to tell that it is open even when it is securely shut.

I'm aware of the common issue where the trunk wiring loom rubs on the hinges. I fixed the same issue on my E39. I'm pretty confident that isn't the issue here.

The 4 wires from the trunk loom were already soldered prior to me digging in to this issue. I've cut off the heat shrink tubing and used my multimeter to confirm there is continuity from the pins on the connector to where the wires were soldered. And there is continuity from the ground wire on the connector to the negative battery terminal.

There is a "click" noise when you press the button to pop the trunk, but the latch doesn't move. You can easily pull the cable on the inside of the trunk and it opens. I tried using the key to turn the latch but it didn't want to move regardless of how much I tried to turn it (I tried turning counterclockwise and clockwise)

At this point I'm kind of stumped. Does anyone know of a way to bench test the trunk latch?

I've thought about pulling one from the junkyard, but given that I would be clueless as to whether or not a junkyard unit works, it wouldn't really tell me anything conclusive if the issue still wasn't resolved.