Thread: 98' M Roadster Parking brake does not engage

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3M Raodster

98' M Roadster Parking brake does not engage

Hello Community,

I recently replaced my soft top, and when I got home from the trim shop I was not able to engage the parking brake. When I pull up on the handle I feel the resistance of the brake cable and it stops the car from moving. However, the handle doesn't lock into place. It doesn't have the normal clicking increments as I pull up on the brake handle. I reached out to the trim shop and asked if replacing the top could have interfered with the parking brake. Naturally they said no! It doesn't seem that it would.
    Two questions:
    1) Could replacing the top have any connection to the parking brake issue?
    2) Is this a DIY fix or does it require bringing to a mechanic?

As always, thank you for helping out

Cheers!

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    I googled " z3 parking bfrake does not ratchet " and got a few answers, some are threads on this site.

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    I would remove the hand brake boot and see what's going on in there.

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Below are links to the Parking brake diagrams from Realoem.com. I don't know how it works, but the parking brake shoes diagram has a part (#3) called "Expanding lock" which, at least, sounds like it could be the problem.

Z3 M Handbrake lever
    https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=34_0550

Z3 M Parking brake/brake shoes
    https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=34_0930
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3M Raodster
    My mechanic says that I need to replace the parking lever. Anyone here replaced one, themselves? Looks like I need to remove the rear part of the center console and disconnect the two cables from the assembly. Anything else I need to be aware of or should I give to my mechanic at $150+/hr to replace?
    Thanks

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by edoinfl View Post
    Anything else I need to be aware of or should I give to my mechanic at $150+/hr to replace?
    You really need to include some info about whether or not you are handy, have tools, feel like tackling this yourself, or if you are a person who hires everything out.
    Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead.

My Cars
    99 M3

Also the lead end can come off the pull cable. It would be odd for it to happen to both sides. The end of #1 inserts thru #5, from the diagram supplied above.
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 05-17-2023 at 09:52 PM.

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    1) Could replacing the top have any connection to the parking brake issue?
    2) Is this a DIY fix or does it require bringing to a mechanic?

1) There should be no connection between replacing the top and a parking brake issue. That said, there should be no need to take a car out for a test drive after installing new tires and yet, as I sat in the waiting room, I saw my car come speeding into the garage's parking lot. 'no more business for them.

2) Have you even taken the boot off to see what's going on in there? It's been a while since I looked at mine for an adjustment but as I recall, it's a pretty simple mechanism.

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3M Raodster
    Does anyone know if its possible to remove the parking brake lever without removing the entire center console? Is there enough space to remove the mechanism by lifting up on the rear portion of the console?

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Remove the brake lever handle, (It just pulls off) then remove the brake lever boot. I'm pretty sure the whole thing can be removed through the hole in the console.

Screenshot_2023-05-22 RealOEM com - Online BMW Parts Catalog.png

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    I’m guessing your brake lever pulled up 7-8 or more “clicks” of the ratchet pawl before it started to actuate the brakes?
    When your parking brake shoes wear, and you do not adjust the cable adjusting nut to compensate for the wear, your parking brake lever can over-extend. This causes the ratchet pawl (controlled by the push-button on the end) to flip out of the linkage so it no longer catches on the ratchet teeth.
    You need to disconnect the cables (console end) and play with the button and the pawl to get them correctly re-engaged. You can then reconnect the cables and adjust them properly.
    -Donny

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    I believe 3 to 4 clicks up is spec.

My Cars
    MZ3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt Clagwell View Post

1) There should be no connection between replacing the top and a parking brake issue. That said, there should be no need to take a car out for a test drive after installing new tires and yet, as I sat in the waiting room, I saw my car come speeding into the garage's parking lot. 'no more business for them.
    Hum... Maybe the driver was using the parking brake to do some slides or drifts?

My Cars
    99 M3

Quote Originally Posted by KeysCoupe View Post
    I’m guessing your brake lever pulled up 7-8 or more “clicks” of the ratchet pawl before it started to actuate the brakes?
    When your parking brake shoes wear, and you do not adjust the cable adjusting nut to compensate for the wear, your parking brake lever can over-extend. This causes the ratchet pawl (controlled by the push-button on the end) to flip out of the linkage so it no longer catches on the ratchet teeth.
    You need to disconnect the cables (console end) and play with the button and the pawl to get them correctly re-engaged. You can then reconnect the cables and adjust them properly.
    -Donny
    And I would loosen the cables and pull the rear rotors to check ‘shoe’ material thickness.
    Then properly adjust the star nut (#6) that sets the initial shoe/rotor clearance, then set the cable lengths at the handle.
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 06-03-2023 at 05:45 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.8

Yes it is possible

Quote Originally Posted by edoinfl View Post
    Does anyone know if its possible to remove the parking brake lever without removing the entire center console? Is there enough space to remove the mechanism by lifting up on the rear portion of the console?
    I successfully just did it. Used an extension with a swivel at the end. I lifted the rear of the console approximately 6 inches and was able to remove and reinstall the bolts. Difficult but doable.