Thread: 2006 x3 purchase

My Cars

2006 x3 purchase

Looking at a. 2006 x3 to buy. Has 140000 miles and no reverse. I’ve read about the no reverse issue due to broken selector shaft and have no problem replacing it. Any suggestions with these? Stay away? Go for it? Asking 4k

My Cars
    456 X3s
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliescff View Post
    Looking at a. 2006 x3 to buy. Has 140000 miles and no reverse. I’ve read about the no reverse issue due to broken selector shaft and have no problem replacing it. Any suggestions with these? Stay away? Go for it? Asking 4k
    Ahh! Yes, a breath of fresh air...someone checking in before a poor decision!
    However, you've made a good decision! Hats off to you for the car you're thinking of purchasing. The 06 is the last X3 to have the M54 engine. Some have said the last analog car. Once you buy the car you'll learn more about its strengths and dependability. But it's a BMW and just like any beauty queen you'll have to give her mountains of attention to keep riding without major dispairs.

I'm not there to inspect or view the car.

I have the 06. I bought mine from the grave... well almost.
    I got a lot of help from past great participants here. Now I mostly try to give back. I do my own work, reading and research. A time or two I'll float questions out to the forums just to get another perspective. I'm confident in my own understanding...I hope you are.
    I can tell you these five things...

The first generation responds well to correction and repairs...try to use original parts. MAF sensor may need to be replaced. Generally easy to work on but a pita most times.

First generation doesn't necessarily need the premium gas...you can get away with top tier Regular.

First generation is said to have a harsh ride, tight steering wheel and poor quality interior. In my opinion these cars are tanks they're not built with luxury as a first priority. But for endurance! As long as your willing to take care of her common missteps.

First generation is really a travelling car or SAV.
    Not SUV!
    But Sport Activity Vehicle ...theres a reason why BMW comes up with that as a specific description for this vehicle.
    As all BMWs, it hates to sit even idling is taboo. Put it on the road...drive it...it likes a hard workout monthly I'd say. Once you have everything "sorted" and to your liking resist babying her.

Finally, and I hate say... try to resist starting out seeking modifications to performance! These cars are well tuned. Mostly everything has been addressed at the manufacturer. The farther you try to take the car from spec...the increased chance of waisting $$$ and tempting the ECU to throw a flag...sorry, code!
    There's so much more like stocking parts, oil to use, cup holder, key fob and the ever feared tirade dash lights...don't have enough time...see YouTube!
    Good luck! Hopefully the car has not been snapped up by now by someone else.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by X3456; 04-30-2023 at 09:04 AM.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by X3456 View Post
    Ahh! Yes, a breath of fresh air...someone checking in before a poor decision!
    However, you've made a good decision! Hats off to you for the car you're thinking of purchasing. The 06 is the last X3 to have the M54 engine. Some have said the last analog car. Once you buy the car you'll learn more about its strengths and dependability. But it's a BMW and just like any beauty queen you'll have to give her mountains of attention to keep riding without major dispairs. I'm not there to inspect or view the car.
    I have the 06. I bought mine from the grave... well almost.
    I got a lot of help from past great participants here. Now I mostly try to give back. I do my own work, reading and research. A time or two I'll float questions out to the forums just to get another perspective. I'm confident in my own understanding...I hope you are.
    I can tell you these five things...

The first generation responds well to correction and repairs...try to use original parts. MAF sensor may need to be replaced. Generally easy to work on but a pita most times.

First generation doesn't necessarily need the premium gas...you can get away with top tier Regular.

First generation is said to have a harsh ride, tight steering wheel and poor quality interior. In my opinion these cars are tanks they're not built with luxury as a first priority. But for endurance! As long as your willing to take care of her common missteps.

First generation is really a travelling car or SAV.
    Not SUV!
    But Sport Activity Vehicle ...theres a reason why BMW comes up with that as a specific description for this vehicle.
    As all BMWs, it hates to sit even idling is taboo. Put it on the road...drive it...it likes a hard workout monthly I'd say. Once you have everything "sorted" and to your liking resist babying her.

Finally, and I hate say... try to resist starting out seeking modifications to performance! These cars are well tuned. Mostly everything has been addressed at the manufacturer. The farther you try to take the car from spec...the increased chance of waisting $$$ and tempting the ECU to throw a flag...sorry, code!
    There's so much more like stocking parts, oil to use, cup holder, key fob and the ever feared tirade dash lights...don't have enough time...see YouTube!
    Good luck! Hopefully the car has not been snapped up by now by someone else.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
    Appreciate the informative response. I’m no stranger to Bmw. Was a tech for a few years and still have a few older ones. Most recently had an e39 530 that I repaired and then traded for an e30 325is. I just never had experience with the x3. Always heard they were junk and had big issues with the sunroof leaking. I like the Mxx motors as opposed to any of the N generation motors. I feel the M generation motors had much better reliability

My Cars
    456 X3s
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliescff View Post
    Appreciate the informative response. I’m no stranger to Bmw. Was a tech for a few years and still have a few older ones. Most recently had an e39 530 that I repaired and then traded for an e30 325is. I just never had experience with the x3. Always heard they were junk and had big issues with the sunroof leaking. I like the Mxx motors as opposed to any of the N generation motors. I feel the M generation motors had much better reliability
    No, no, no junk...best kept BMW secret if you ask me
    Roof is a problem, i treat mine gingerly...but i still use them.
    Yes, they will overflow if the drain tubes are clogged.
    The vapor barriers will also giveway at this age but that's with any older BMW.
    M over the N generation,
    I'm with you!

https://www.bimmerfest.com/index.php?posts/13652378
    Last edited by X3456; 04-30-2023 at 09:22 AM.

My Cars
    456 X3s
    What do you think!
    https://www.copilotsearch.com/posts/...ears-to-avoid/

https://youtu.be/Dt7WlIjB0xY

Sent from my TMAF035G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by X3456; 06-16-2023 at 08:51 AM.