Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replaced window regulator -- now have gap between exterior trim and window

My Cars
    2003 E39 530i

Replaced window regulator -- now have gap between exterior trim and window

Update: URO stated that this is a known issue with no solution. Details in thread. I recommend avoiding URO!

-------------

Hello all,

I have searched all over, but have not found a description anywhere of the problem I'm currently having.

Today I replaced the front passenger window regulator in my 2003 E39. Everything went great until the end, when I realized that there is now a gap between the exterior trim and the window. The gap is roughly 1mm and goes straight down into the inside the of the door.

I used the URO "Premium" regulator replacement.

It's a bit difficult to see, but when standing next to the door, you can look straight down into the interior through the gap. Seems to be worst when the window is all the way up -- when it's rolled down, the material that's supposed to touch against the window will actually touch it.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I tried to embed images in my post but they didn't display for some reason. Here are direct links:

https://imgur.com/a/OzCVhB9
    Last edited by roofgolf; 06-14-2023 at 06:21 PM.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Hate to say it but it looks like you need to, at a minimum, remove everything again and check your installation. It could be the regulator or it could be something that you did during the install. Either way you're taking it apart again.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Agreed with the above.
    Even with a Uro part employed I tend to think some installation error.
    Please follow up with your findings.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 Msport Sedan
    I used a URO premium on my E39 late last year and it worked great. I actually like this part compared to the BMW part I took out. Look for anything that might have got between the regulator and the door frame, like a wiring harness, cable, etc.. you might have sandwiched something.
    A great ending is all you'll see..
    __________________________________________________ _____________

My Cars
    2003 E39 530i
    Thanks for the suggestions all. I took some photos while I was in there yesterday but they didn't embed into the post for some reason. Updated the OP with the links. If anyone sees anything obvious that I'm doing wrong perhaps you can point it out to me -- this is the first time I've replaced one of these.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm.... the OP disappeared after editing. I think it probably needs mod approval again. Here are the photos in the meantime:

https://imgur.com/a/OzCVhB9
    Last edited by roofgolf; 04-28-2023 at 09:46 AM.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    I approved your original post. Should work now. Agree with above. Gotta take it apart and double check install.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    2003 E39 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    I approved your original post. Should work now. Agree with above. Gotta take it apart and double check install.
    Thanks! Definitely plan to take it back apart, although hoping someone can spot something in my photos. I noticed the gap before I put it back together and didn't see anything obvious (to me) that was causing the problem.

My Cars
    2003 E39 530i
    Well I am really at my wit's end here. I ended up replacing the driver-side regulator with the URO Premium as well, and hoped that as I did that one I might see what I did wrong on the passenger side. But after installation I was left with the same problem. I've looked at it from every angle I can think of but haven't managed to reduce the gap at all.

The URO attaches with three torx bolts near the top of the door and two bolts at the bottom. Unlike some regulators, it does not appear to attach to the cross-beam in the middle of the door. But even if it is supposed to attach to that, it seems apparent from pushing on the regulator that it wouldn't affect this problem.

As far as I can tell, the clips that hold the window are not adjustable. It feels like the angle on these is almost the problem.

I find it hard to believe that two regulators were both out of spec, so some error on my end seems most likely... but I don't see where it could be. I'm not sure if it's possible that the mounting points in my vehicle have been modified or anything like that... the regulators I replaced were both Kusters.

I've still got the driver's side open, so I'll be messing around with it more today, but any suggestions would be much appreciated as I don't seem to be making any headway.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by roofgolf View Post
    Well I am really at my wit's end here. I ended up replacing the driver-side regulator with the URO Premium as well, and hoped that as I did that one I might see what I did wrong on the passenger side. But after installation I was left with the same problem. I've looked at it from every angle I can think of but haven't managed to reduce the gap at all.

The URO attaches with three torx bolts near the top of the door and two bolts at the bottom. Unlike some regulators, it does not appear to attach to the cross-beam in the middle of the door. But even if it is supposed to attach to that, it seems apparent from pushing on the regulator that it wouldn't affect this problem.

As far as I can tell, the clips that hold the window are not adjustable. It feels like the angle on these is almost the problem.

I find it hard to believe that two regulators were both out of spec, so some error on my end seems most likely... but I don't see where it could be. I'm not sure if it's possible that the mounting points in my vehicle have been modified or anything like that... the regulators I replaced were both Kusters.

I've still got the driver's side open, so I'll be messing around with it more today, but any suggestions would be much appreciated as I don't seem to be making any headway.

Maybe not so far fetched, let's not forget who you're dealing with here. And, aside you the only common denominator.
    You mention not attaching at one point like the OE. Are you sure you didn't miss something? I haven't done one in a while but have no memory of them attaching at the cross beam.
    EDIT:
    Okay, had to post this found 60 seconds later perusing Craigslist :https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/z...626017428.html
    Last edited by ross1; 05-28-2023 at 10:03 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    z3
    My wagon now has 3 uro premium window regulators and when (certainly not "if") the fourth fails it'll be uro premium too. Mine all worked perfectly out of the box same goes for multiple other e39's I've installed them on. Not sure if it's luck of the draw or not but I'd be inclined to say installation error. Reinstall and test it with the door card removed. Roll the window all the way up and look at what's going on with the regulator. For fronts I think you'll need to reinstall the glass to test properly, once you are satisfied it works then remove to fully tighten as needed. Been a long time since I've done e39 fronts so maybe you can tighten with glass in place. Honestly don't remember

My Cars
    2003 E39 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Maybe not so far fetched, let's not forget who you're dealing with here. And, aside you the only common denominator.
    You mention not attaching at one point like the OE. Are you sure you didn't miss something? I haven't done one in a while but have no memory of them attaching at the cross beam.
    EDIT:
    Okay, had to post this found 60 seconds later perusing Craigslist :https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/z...626017428.html
    Hahahah, okay, maybe it could be the parts...

As far as the cross beam -- I'm not sure if they all attach there or not. The Kuster I pulled out did -- you can see the attached photo for details if you like.

IMG_7525.jpgIMG_7526.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    My wagon now has 3 uro premium window regulators and when (certainly not "if") the fourth fails it'll be uro premium too. Mine all worked perfectly out of the box same goes for multiple other e39's I've installed them on. Not sure if it's luck of the draw or not but I'd be inclined to say installation error. Reinstall and test it with the door card removed. Roll the window all the way up and look at what's going on with the regulator. For fronts I think you'll need to reinstall the glass to test properly, once you are satisfied it works then remove to fully tighten as needed. Been a long time since I've done e39 fronts so maybe you can tighten with glass in place. Honestly don't remember
    Aside from the gap the regulators appear to be working great. I have pulled the glass out at least 4 or 5 times and have not been able to solve the problem however. You are correct, the window holders can be tightened with the glass in place. Aside from the height of the glass holders, I haven't been able to spot any way of adjusting the regulator -- do you recall anything?

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by roofgolf; 05-28-2023 at 04:54 PM.

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 Msport Sedan
    You could always take the radical step of calling URO and asking them?

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    ...a gap between the exterior trim and the window. The gap is roughly 1mm...
    QMbMAlb.jpg

I doubt there's anything wrong with the regulator or your installation.

Judging from your photo, you likely just need a new exterior trim strip. The old one has shrunk due to exposure and age. Why hasn't your other window trim not also shrunk? It probably has but you never noticed.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 Msport Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    QMbMAlb.jpg

Judging from your photo, you likely just need a new exterior trim strip. The old one has shrunk due to exposure and age. Why hasn't your other window trim not also shrunk? It probably has but you never noticed.
    Good point. Removing the window could have forced the old worn trim to do as its done.. This is worth exploring.

My Cars
    2003 E39 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by SW530 View Post
    You could always take the radical step of calling URO and asking them?
    Will try to see if I can get ahold of someone on Tuesday...

QMbMAlb.jpg

Appreciate the suggestion! When you say shrunk, I'm assuming you're referring to the weather stripping portion? The problem is, there is no visual difference between the rear trim strips, which sit flush against the window, and the front trim strips, which have a gap. If anything, the rear trim is more compressed / narrower than the front.

One thing I've also noticed is that the gap appears as the window is closing. When it's about half open, there is no gap. I've attached some photos.

IMG_7579.jpgIMG_7578.jpgIMG_7580.jpg

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    ...the gap appears as the window is closing. When it's about half open, there is no gap.
    The trim should flex, following the compound curves of the window. This tells me your trim is rigid...which seems to confirm my suspicion: you need new trim.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    2003 E39 530i
    The trim should flex, following the compound curves of the window. This tells me your trim is rigid...which seems to confirm my suspicion: you need new trim.
    Sorry for the confusion. The trim does flex when the window retracts all the way into the door. It also feels quite pliable to my fingers. It seems to me that it would have to flex way too much to fill the gap when the window is fully closed. Like twice as much as the rears. Maybe I'm wrong about that though.

I tried calling URO today. They told me to send them an email. Hopefully I get a reply.

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 Msport Sedan
    Sorry for the confusion. The trim does flex when the window retracts all the way into the door. It also feels quite pliable to my fingers. It seems to me that it would have to flex way too much to fill the gap when the window is fully closed. Like twice as much as the rears. Maybe I'm wrong about that though.

I tried calling URO today. They told me to send them an email. Hopefully I get a reply.
    You must be a calm person very much in control of your rage. I'm afraid I would have been the opposite having been given that response.

My Cars
    hiss by my window

Not yet enough disparaging remarks made about Uro in this thread for their damage control guy to swoop in.
    Is it same with the door card installed?
    Last edited by ross1; 05-31-2023 at 06:47 AM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Any resolution??

My Cars
    2003 E39 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by SW530 View Post
    You must be a calm person very much in control of your rage. I'm afraid I would have been the opposite having been given that response.
    Lol. The lady told me that there wasn’t anyone there to offer technical support.

Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Any resolution??
    Thanks for asking. I emailed URO last Tuesday. They responded with a request for the year, make, model and part number to which I immediately replied. I haven’t heard back since. Just sent a followup so I’ll report back if I hear anything.

Reinstalling the passenger door card did not make any difference. Still have the driver’s side off for now.

I’m out of town until next week, so haven’t messed around with it anymore.

If I don’t hear anything back from URO I’ll probably order a regulator made by someone else and see if it fixes the problem.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Lol. The lady told me that there wasn’t anyone there to offer technical support.

Thanks for asking. I emailed URO last Tuesday. They responded with a request for the year, make, model and part number to which I immediately replied. I haven’t heard back since. Just sent a followup so I’ll report back if I hear anything.

Reinstalling the passenger door card did not make any difference. Still have the driver’s side off for now.

I’m out of town until next week, so haven’t messed around with it anymore.

If I don’t hear anything back from URO I’ll probably order a regulator made by someone else and see if it fixes the problem.
    I'm sure their crack team of engineers, scientists and laboratory technicians are all huddled and working on a solution for you.

My Cars
    2003 E39 530i
    Well, I sure as hell wasn't expecting this reply:

Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 7.06.08 PM.png

So uh, any recommendations for another brand?
    Last edited by roofgolf; 06-07-2023 at 08:13 PM.

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 Msport Sedan
    Sir, you are way too nice. I recommend a few choice words before squeezing through the phone line and coming out the other side with a tight grip around that persons pencil neck and squeezing until.. well... I might be getting carried away on this one..

My Cars
    03 540iA/16 435 F33
    That's infuriating. Sell a product with a known defect and say "sorry about that" I hope more people are aware of the risk before they buy these.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast