Thread: Exporting E46 to Portugal?

My Cars
    04 330CI, 93 BMW 325i

Exporting E46 to Portugal?

Hi, would be interested to hear from anyone who has exported their BMW from The US to Europe, and in particular how to get a hold of the EU "Certificate of Conformity" for foreign registration purposes.
    I tried calling BMW US Customer Relations and was told they don't provide one...

Cheers,

Blade.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    importing the car from the US costs probably more than the E46 is worth, here are details: import a car to portugal https://viveurope.com/import-a-car-to-portugal/
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    04 330CI, 93 BMW 325i
    Hey Shogun I see your point...Just ran the numbers on the PT Finance Tax and am looking at around $14K in Tax! However I think if you check all the right boxes your allowed a one time tax exemption on imported goods including a car but the paperwork has to be perfect.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Holy crap!

My Cars
    1984 BMW 633CSi
    Sorry to say, but don't bother with it. I think you've already reached that conclusion anyway, PT is tax crazy for anything above 2.0L and/or post 1970. I keep mine in the US. Yes you're allowed one time exemption but car needs to be PT homologated. If it's a model that was indeed sold here originally, which I believe is the case (need to check your exact spec), you're in for plenty of mods to get it to that state.
    🤠

My Cars
    BMW 328I convertible
    Hi.
    I imported my 328i cabrio from uk. In 2010
    And only cost me about 150Euros of paperwork and petrol.
    The rules are the following:
    You must be registered in the portuguese consulate in the country of export.
    Must have paid taxes for at least one year to be intitled to be exempt of import taxes, you also have to be moving back to portugal , have an adress here and show proofs of that adress in your name.
    If you are planning of keep living there and import the car here forget it.
    The car has to stay in your hands for at least 5 years, if you sell it you are going to pay taxes due.
    You must be living in Portugal because the taxman will ask for your car and will want to see it in person at any time given in the following 5 years.they dont say when or announce the visit less than some hours...
    As for the car, before starting the import paperwork, contact bmw here an ask if the car is homologated to portugal.
    One thing you must ask is about the wheels size, the homologation to portugal usualy has smaller rims 16" for example, and will be registered with those, anything bigger has to be paper worked and registered.
    You will have to make a special inspection (B). They will check emissions and many other things. If you have tunned acessories glass foil etc take them out.
    The process is very quick, mine took 1 month to sort out.

There is just one thing that can be different and you have to search information on that.
    My bmw came from an EU country at the time, (UK).
    You are importing from outside EU, so things might be a little different. But ask someone to go to the IMT and DGCI to ask for all that you need to do and the rules to be sure.