Thread: 98 Z3 instrument cluster EXACT NUMBER and TYPE of all lamps

My Cars
    1998 Z3

98 Z3 instrument cluster EXACT NUMBER and TYPE of all lamps

Once again I am stymied by what would seem to be a simple search. I really have searched this and other forums, and youtube and whatever. Can't get reliable information. BMW diagrams are coy.

QUESTION: How many and what type(s) of lighting and indicator lamps are present in the instrument cluster on a Z3?

Sounds like a simple question, right? I just want to replace ALL of mine and have my dash out one time.

FWIW, I believe the lamps (not the lamp and socket) but the bare lamps are BMW 62131383311. That's a 1.2w...but how many? 3, 5, 30, a thousand? :-)

Call me anachronistic and old fashioned...but I like to have my parts in hand before I start tearing my car down. I don't mind having a couple extra, but I like NOT to end up with 3x as many of something as I need, too.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide. Also, if I am mistaken that they are all 1.2w versions, bring it on.

Thanks!

Keith
    coolblueglow

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    You asked this question before. You were cheerfully given a direct link to the RealOEM page that showed the part numbers and the exact count for the THREE different types of bulbs. One is a bulb, the other two are bulb and socket soldered together, AS SHOWN. Apparently that wasn't good enough. And you can't be bothered to spend a minute counting them yourself. Yes, the cluster comes out in under a minute.

So here you go:

2 62111391260
    3 07119905358
    14 62131383311

In fifteen years on this forum, I had blocked only one member; someone who threatened physical violence against another member over a $5 part. And now, it's about to be two more in the last 24 hours. What the hell has happened to this forum?

/.randy

My Cars
    1998 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    You asked this question before. You were cheerfully given a direct link to the RealOEM page that showed the part numbers and the exact count for the THREE different types of bulbs. One is a bulb, the other two are bulb and socket soldered together, AS SHOWN. Apparently that wasn't good enough. And you can't be bothered to spend a minute counting them yourself. Yes, the cluster comes out in under a minute.

So here you go:

2 62111391260
    3 07119905358
    14 62131383311

In fifteen years on this forum, I had blocked only one member; someone who threatened physical violence against another member over a $5 part. And now, it's about to be two more in the last 24 hours. What the hell has happened to this forum?
    Hi Randy,

Hmmm...so I'm a bit mystified by your statement. Is it possible you have mixed me up with someone else? I have never to my knowledge asked this question before. Looking at my profile stats just now, It says I've made exactly two posts, ever. One about the Harmon Kardon sound system, last week... and now this one about the lamps. That's it.

FWIW, I'm attaching a spreadsheet I just produced since I made that post. I hope that will demonstrate my sincerity to you. I didn't just ask and wait for others to do the work. Anyway, I cared enough to hunt this stuff down over the past hour, organize it and put it all in one place...and I think it is correct. It matches the part numbers you mention, but provides some helpful additional information. Specifically, I've added the lamp manufacturers' product numbers and the bulb wattage and the socket/no-socket option as well. Sometimes having an actual Osram-Sylvania or Hella part number makes finding lamps a bit easier at the parts store.

But again, mystified by your other comment. I promise I only asked about this once. But do let me know if you see another post by "me". Maybe I'm losing my mind and have totally forgotten something? Let me know for sure.

Thx!

CoolBlueGlow

Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 3.43.36 PM.png

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolBlueGlow View Post
    Thanks. I saved that in my maintenance files for future reference.

My Cars
    2001 M roadster
    Hey Randy, I think someone else posted pretty much the same question last week, but it was definitely a different person. And I will say having the actual Osram part number, as CoolBlueGlow provided to his own question after a bit of his own research, can save someone a fair amount of money I’ve found.
    /Phil

‘74 tii
    dueling ‘88 E28 535is projects (aka lawn art)
    ‘93 Euro M5
    ‘01 M roadster with a sunburn

My Cars
    1997 z3 roadster
    While this "complete list" doesn't include the cluster, I thought it might be of interest.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ication-guide!
    It's a Hybrid--Burns Gas and Rubber

My Cars
    1998 Z3
    Yeah, I checked around a bit, and I think Randy did accidentally get me confused with someone else. :-) Oops.

Unfortunately for me, I think he blocked me, so I guess I'm going to be denied access to his considerable body of info. Oh well, back to lurking.

sigh

CBG

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3

People are changing. I just went to the hospital here in Des Moines for some tests and chatted with the technician. Afterwards, I offered to apologize that perhaps I talked her ear off. She said to not worry as "it's nice to have a friendly patient for a change". She said people are just nasty to her, day in and day out. I have my theories as to why, but this isn't the forum for that.

BTW: Here is a nice pictorial on removing the cluster: http://bmwz3diys.weebly.com/instrament-cluster.html

I bought all these bulbs about three years ago thinking it would be a nice rainy day project. I haven't done it yet as I realized bulb failure isn't catastrophic and none of my bulbs are out. So, why risk damage when there is no need?
    Last edited by cyberman; 03-27-2023 at 10:25 AM.
    Claude Berman, 96 Z3 Production Date 2/96 BMW CCA# 581686
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    I think stressful times bring out the best in some and the worst in others.

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberman View Post
    I bought all these bulbs about three years ago thinking it would be a nice rainy day project. I haven't done it yet as I realized bulb failure isn't catastrophic and none of my bulbs are out. So, why risk damage when there is no need?
    I've had my cluster out several times for modification. I considered changing out all of the bulbs for new ones but all of mine are working and there's really no way of knowing that a new bulb will burn longer than an OE. Sure, odds are that they will but I have had brand new bulbs fail in a matter of days. The cluster is easy enough to remove so I'll just wait until I actually have a problem as, like you said, it is not catastrophic. YMMV.