Thread: What would you like to see?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 750iL

What would you like to see?

Hello friends,

I'm in the process of creating content for youtube, and would love to hear from the community what you feel is lacking in terms of content/guides/how-to's on our platforms that aren't as explored.

Even the e38 feels like theres a lack of good content not only in maintenance guides, but daily usage or quirks of ownership.

Think like "how to use obc" or "e65 headrest swap".

If something comes to mind, feel free to share it, and I'll try to make a video around it!
    2014 BMW F32 428i "Bella"
    2013 BMW E82 128i "Austin"
    2000 BMW E38 750iL "Stella"
    EuroFever
    Drive fast, Ask Later

My Cars
    2001 740i E38
    I'm gonna address the elephant in the room that every single E38 owner worldwide is guaranteed to encounter.

Properly refurbishing a used fuel tank.

Most of us don't have access to a lift, and the prospect of having to remove the fuel tank a second time with the car on jack stands is about as pleasant, quick and easy as getting anything useful through Congress. So let's do it right the first time and never have to futz with it again. This idea goes beyond the band-aid "fixes" that only plug a hole, such as using Pratley Putty. From E38.org, this comes up and mentions the POR-15 Fuel Tank Repair/Sealing Kit
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/705764

I've seen the POR-15 kit used correctly, it does a fantastic job. To use the POR-15 kit, you have to strip everything out of the tank so all that is left is the shell. So the "Suction Jet Pump fuel level balancing system and Surge Tank have to come out. And despite it being 2023, no part numbers seem to exist for these parts nor have removal/reinstall procedures been documented.
    2001 740I M62TUB44: Iris, My daily
    1997 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L 4x4: Onyx, the 315k mile tow rig

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    I disagree. I believe the E38 is one of the most well documented models there is when it comes to maintenance, upgrades, daily use, etc.

My Cars
    2001 740i E38
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayorchuck View Post
    I disagree. I believe the E38 is one of the most well documented models there is when it comes to maintenance, upgrades, daily use, etc.
    Agreed, there's a lot that has been given the proper attention and de-bunking these cars deserve and need. Gotta give credit where it's due there.

But I've found that the ball was dropped repeatedly on items that most would consider "common" and likely to need clear, concise information on when it comes to some unconventional part or system. For example, the fuel leveling system I mentioned. I'd love to see this addressed so we're not trapped playing whack a mole with fuel leaks on a weekly basis. Or trying an aftermarket chinese tank that doesn't fit, leaks and is generally garbage. And the other option is one from a salvage yard that is about to rust through.

And with this affecting EVERY single E38 ever made, that sounds like a community-wide problem. Plus, with dealers demanding around $2000 for a new one that is likely made cheaper than the original factory tank, I think we can all see the need for a Silver Bullet to nuke the problem permanently, affordably and rationally the first time.
    2001 740I M62TUB44: Iris, My daily
    1997 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L 4x4: Onyx, the 315k mile tow rig

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    I agree Chuck, BUT I also think there is opportunity/desire to have a lot of this shown by video. The E38 community is blessed to have a variety of sources that document almost any problem or situation needed via this forum, Timm's site, E38.org, Bimmerboard, BMW Tips, .... but most of these are written procedures, sometimes with pics and occassionally with vids/clips. I can see where djacinto's suggestion can fill a void and be useful.
    "A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering." - Freeman Dyson

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    E65 headrest swap would be cool to know. I would look at the E39source content and see if there is anything that he is missing/different from the E38 and go from there. I have found there is a good amount of overlap between them but certainly there are nuances to the E38. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.
    2001 BMW 740i | 2013 Ford SVT Raptor | 2018 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD

My Cars
    2000 740i/2003 530i
    How to change the differential mounts (all 4) and the rear subframe mounts.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by kahlilj View Post
    I agree Chuck, BUT I also think there is opportunity/desire to have a lot of this shown by video. The E38 community is blessed to have a variety of sources that document almost any problem or situation needed via this forum, Timm's site, E38.org, Bimmerboard, BMW Tips, .... but most of these are written procedures, sometimes with pics and occassionally with vids/clips. I can see where djacinto's suggestion can fill a void and be useful.
    I agree. You can't have too many resources. I was just disagreeing with the statement that there was a lack of good content on the model. I know you've been around long enough to remember Edwin. He has a youtube channel with many vids on the E38.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Homerraas/videos

My Cars
    2000 BMW 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by kahlilj View Post
    I think this is what I was going for, video evidence to cement the knowledge we do know. It seemed to me like all of the photo evidence using forums tends to disappear, unless the platform that hosts the images are still around.

Still, it’s just an idea, I’m always looking for new content and the e38 platform is one that I plan on doing in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 BMW F32 428i "Bella"
    2013 BMW E82 128i "Austin"
    2000 BMW E38 750iL "Stella"
    EuroFever
    Drive fast, Ask Later

My Cars
    740i Sport, 750il, E53
    Video on how to setup an inpa computer to program modules please!!

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    I agree. You can't have too many resources. I was just disagreeing with the statement that there was a lack of good content on the model. I know you've been around long enough to remember Edwin. He has a youtube channel with many vids on the E38.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Homerraas/videos
    Gotcha! and that we agree on too - there is a WEALTH of good content on this forum and these models too. Heck yeah I remember Edwin, actually had a chance to meet him a few years back I've seen his youtube vids and he was pretty active on the Bimmerboard, but miss him on this forum though.

Quote Originally Posted by djacinto View Post
    I think this is what I was going for, video evidence to cement the knowledge we do know. It seemed to me like all of the photo evidence using forums tends to disappear, unless the platform that hosts the images are still around.

Still, it’s just an idea, I’m always looking for new content and the e38 platform is one that I plan on doing in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So true! about pics missing due to an interrupt with their host site/source

My suggestion: a vid showing the different eboxs in the rear trunk area and how it affects/ties into the dashdisplays (instrument panel, Stereo monitor, ...)
    "A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering." - Freeman Dyson