Thread: Front doors do not unlock

My Cars
    E38 735i

Front doors do not unlock

Hi all

A really strange issue.

Everything was fine with the car yesterday.

But this morning, I went to unlock the car but only the rear doors unlock?

I tried with the key fob a few times but still, only the rear doors unlock.

If I try to unlock pressing the lock/unlock button inside the car, the front doors do not unlock.
    If I try to open the drivers side door inside the car with the handle, it will not open.

Any ideas please? The battery is new so I don't think that could be the issue.

I do have a sunroof leak on the front left side of the car. Not sure if water may be causing an issue?
    We had alot of rain recently.

Thanks
    Last edited by AlexN80; 03-20-2023 at 05:58 AM.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Yes, water could be the issue. The front door locks are handled by the door module, the rear by the General Module. If water got into the module then that very well could be you issue. Here is a little light reading on the Central Locking from the WDS. More info that you probably need for your issue since you have a water leak but good info all the same.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...2#post26862942

Edit: Does the central lock button operate the rear doors? Also, I would suggest trying to re-initialize the fob. It sounds like your front doors are double locked.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ey-programming
    Last edited by Mayorchuck; 03-20-2023 at 04:54 PM.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    The door modules are behind the door card.

Last edited by Mayorchuck; 03-20-2023 at 04:55 PM.

My Cars
    E38 735i
    Many thanks for the advice.

Ah right, could you tell me please where the door module is located (this is a right hand drive model)? I am not sure if it is one in each front door or one module to control both front doors?

When I press the unlock button on the key, it opens the rear doors only (and fuel tank). When I press the centre console unlock button, again, it locks / unlocks the rear doors only.
    I have also noticed that the red alarm flashing light no longer flashes when the car is locked.

Interesting about the double locked front doors. Could you tell me please how one would un-do the double lock?

Thank you.
    Last edited by AlexN80; 03-22-2023 at 05:58 AM.

My Cars
    E38 735i
    A small update!

The car has been sitting for the last couple of days in the dry (the weather has been quite dry / warm in CH) and I thought I would just tried to unlock with the key and the front doors unlocked!? The windows and mirror work too.

So this has to be something water related? If so, maybe I should attend to the leak with priority and then the door module / general control module?

Thanks.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    The door modules are behind the door panel, as shown above. The odd thing is I believe they work the door locks independently of each other. I didn't know the windows were not working either. Where is the water leaking, down the A pillow and onto the floor? That's what usually happens. On the LHD cars, the water ends up on the floor and there is a major fuse block and splices under the carpet. This causes all types of electrical issues. The WDS says the GM on RHD cars is behind the glove box on the passenger side. Again, the GM only handle the rear door locks/windows. I will add this info below. Could water have penetrated the door switch on your driver side arm rest? That module just pops out. There are pressure tabs that will come off as you do it so pay attention when/if you take it off. Not sure how that would affect the locks but it may loop thru that unit but it would definitely be suspect for your windows. You may get lucky and just fix the water leak and not have any more issues now that whatever it is has dried out.

https://bmwteka.com/wds/en/e38new/32dcdecd

Here is a better photo of where the door modules are on each side.

Double lock is simply caused from hitting the lock button on the fob twice. This removes the ability to unlock the car from the inside by pulling twice on the door handle.

On your sunroof leak, this happens often when windshields are replaced as the drain holes are just above the windshield on each side. Often get filled with glue in the process of replacement. There are a number of other issues it could be however.