Thread: Fried Level Control Air Pump 700 Miles From Home

My Cars
    2000 540i Touring

Fried Level Control Air Pump 700 Miles From Home

Thanks to 11 atmospheric rivers and counting I have been playing whack-a-mole with water leaks on our 540i Touring for months now. I thought I had all the leaks in the back patched up (tail light cracks, antenna replaced with a plug, etc.) but still wound up with water in the spare tire well before departing home to our daughter's place in Oregon (~700 miles). I discovered water in the spare tire well when we arrived and drained it. That was a few days ago now.

Yesterday the pump made bad noises and I had a level control warning on the dash. The level control module doesn't have any error codes stored according to INPA. I am able to turn the compressor on via INPA but it sounds really bad. I popped the compressor's head off and it is pretty dry inside. (I have rebuilt these in my Audi Allroad days, same Wabco compressor so I am somewhat familiar with them.)

I think it is time for a new compressor. Anyone in the Portland PNW area have a spare they want to part with?

We're here through the end of them month, driving home on the 3rd and 4th. I probably have time to order one if I act quick.

The real question is do I really need to before we leave? Levels are fine. The air springs are fairly fresh Arnotts. I am very tool limited up here, but replacement doesn't look horrible.

My Cars
    97 528i
    hey msv..! mine was originally DOA after being submerged in the spare tire well that filled with water. Pretty sure it was a pet fish for a few days. I pulled the body plug out of the boot well (so this would never happen again....), then removed the compressor assembly. I completely disassembled it, sprayed out the motor with WD40, cleaned all the valves out, lubed all the seals, and the piston ring, and put it all back together. It worked again and stayed working for the remainder of my ownership. Several years and 10's of thousands of miles.

maybe a quick cleanout (and dry out that module...) will do you right.
    "two wrongs don't make a right...only three lefts do...."
    '79 Euro 635csi - gone and regretting it...
    '89 gsxr-750 - former traffic knife
    '97 528i sedan - holding on strong...(just sold after 16 years of ownership - sad day)
    '03 Euro 525it - something about a famous dolphin.....

'06 Mercury Grand Marquis (don't ask....it gets the job done....)
    '84 Specialized Allez - full Campagnolo Super Record
    '99-ish Cannondale CAAD4
    "Stinky" - Kona Stinky Five
    '86 528e
    2008 E70 X5 3.0

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    Put that plug back in. I took mine out. The car was parked, and water came down the driveway. It was submerged again.

My Cars
    97 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by CPHES View Post
    Put that plug back in. I took mine out. The car was parked, and water came down the driveway. It was submerged again.
    man, that's no good.

I drove mine that way for years, even in the junk weather here. Plus, my driveway is high so no chance of water pooling anywhere near the car....work or home...

Never got anything in there, just some residue from road spray. Looked at it and cleaned around the opening every time I did an oil service (when you pull the spare to check it..) and 2x per year during seasonal tire swaps, and any time I took a road trip. It really was never ever an issue, but can see conditions where it sure could be.

My Cars
    2000 540i Touring
    I have a used compressor on the way from a parts supplier I have worked with in the past. Hopefully it will be here soon. The existing compressor sounds really bad. I opened it up and it is dry inside, but when I rotate the crank with the piston by hand it makes really bad noises. I thought I had fixed all the leaks in the back, but apparently not. The third brake light is filling with water so there's my next clue. I'll probably drive it with one of the plugs in the cargo floor removed until I fix the last leak. A 1"ish duckbill valve instead of the plug might be a good temporary fix also.

Could it be rear sunroof drains? (The fronts are clear and A pillars are dry now but I didn't do rears.)

My Cars
    2000 540i Touring
    Used compressor arrived and installed today. All is well. I was pouring rain here recently and no water in the spare tire area (yet). I know whatever leak(s) remain probably didn't fix themselves so I will continue to check for water there often. Nice to know our car is good to go for the trip home week after next.

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    Wishing you best of luck going home. Mine also leaks thru the third brake light.