Thread: window seal question...

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i

window seal question...

Welp, I pulled the trigger on a nice 2001 540i to replace the old rusty version currently gracing my driveway.
    While I was looking it over water poured out of the weep holes at the bottom of the doors when I opened them (lots of rain recently in Long Island)>
    Is this normal or an indication that I need to replace the seals between the window glass and door?
    The body on this old girl is beautiful but the interior has a few apologies so I'll be trying to address all the issues I find once she's in my driveway this coming week so I'll be putting a hit list together then.

My Cars
    1997 528 Auto 03/'96 M52
    The seals/wiper at the base of the window (inside that strip) do help to keep water out - but they aren't designed to be waterproof. However, look at them - they should fit relatively snugly against the glass. Even so, water will find it's way inside the door and then out the weep holes. This is pretty much how it is with all cars, regardless of brand. What has likely happened, in your case, is that there's also small leaves or dirt/grime inside the bottom of the door and it was clogging up the weep holes until you jarred it and then water started flowing out. Remove the door card and clean it out.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    A more likely culprit is that the vapor barrier has become detached from the door allowing water to leak from behind the door card. Google search bmw e39 vapor barrier and start reading.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Only about a bazillion and a half threads on this!
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    2003 540i
    Pics? Fellow long islander here

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i

thanks for the tip...

Quote Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
    A more likely culprit is that the vapor barrier has become detached from the door allowing water to leak from behind the door card. Google search bmw e39 vapor barrier and start reading.
    Thanks for the google search tip, the problem description sounds familiar but I guess I'm having trouble visualizing how water gets behind a door card that's inside the car.
    Maybe my reading will provide illumination...

- - - Updated - - -

Wraffel, I'm actually an upstater but bought the car from someone on LI...

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i / 5
    You might want to remove the 4 jack pads to see if any water has collected in the rockers. I had about 2 gallons pour out of mine once.

Is that the nice 111k mile one from near Smithtown, LI? I was eyeing that one myself.
    Ed CT
    1998 528i
    5-Speed
    Aspen Silver
    Aubergine Leather

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by dwgates View Post
    ...water poured out of the weep holes at the bottom of the doors...
    This symptom does NOT indicate a bad vapor barrier. This points towards clogged door drains and possibly worn weatherstripping. A clearing of the drains (and maybe new weatherstripping) should resolve it.

I'm having trouble visualizing how water gets behind a door card that's inside the car...
    The weatherstripping is not completely watertight. Water passes the weatherstrip and drips off the bottom edge of the glass, then runs harmlessly out the bottom drains. A vapor barrier keeps water off the inner surface of the door cards. If the barrier is missing/damaged, water enters the door card's courtesy light and drips onto the inside carpet.
    Last edited by Frankie; 03-18-2023 at 01:23 PM. Reason: link

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    Thanks for the google search tip, the problem description sounds familiar but I guess I'm having trouble visualizing how water gets behind a door card that's inside the car.
    Maybe my reading will
    - - - Updated - - -

Wraffel, I'm actually an upstater but bought the car from someone on LI...
    I’ve got to ask what color your 540 is? Color name should be on a sticker on the underside of the hood, passenger side.
    -Donny

My Cars
    1997 528 Auto 03/'96 M52
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
    According to Gates, the problem is showing up at the drains. The vapor barrier simply keeps the door card from getting wet - it would have no impact on this issue.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i
    Ed, thanks for the jack pad tipthat may be why my last 540 rusted so thoroughly there.
    This one was in Lake Grove and has 133k on the clock...

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i / 5
    Ed, thanks for the jack pad tipthat may be why my last 540 rusted so thoroughly there.
    This one was in Lake Grove and has 133k on the clock...
    DW - Yes, that's the E39 that I was looking at on CL. It has that nice color combo (Royalrot Metallic? and tan interior) and a manual tranny. Hope it works out well for you.

And, yes, my rockers were full of water at one point but only once that I know of, and those rockers are now rotted to hell. Hope your new buy has better drainage and no road salt build up.
    Ed CT
    1998 528i
    5-Speed
    Aspen Silver
    Aubergine Leather