Thread: Trying to start engine on crashed car

My Cars
    2002 BMW 316i

Trying to start engine on crashed car

Hello, new here on the forum. I bought a BMW E46 2002. Planning to take the engine out for an engineswap. I want the engine to run before I start removing it.

The car has crashed into a tree, with what looked to me minor damage (airbags did'nt go). However, cant get it to start, it will crank, just wont start. Do I need to reset the ECU to clear any faults? Does it need a reset after a crash?

So did some research and found a few issues.

Mainly fuses blown and ground issues. CAN issue (high engine temp) fixed.

What I did/checked
    Synced EWS3 with DME
    Fuel pump is powered
    DME is reachable through INPA
    Airbag fuses are out to be safe. (I hope its not the starting condition)
    BST (battery safety terminal) hasnt blown, however, yellow cap was pried off/damaged. For testing purposes ive bypassed the main power line. Is the BST a culprit or can I rule it out?
    Starter is working and keys recognized, however no spark.
    Fuel is at main line.

Weird things I can see;
    - 40 outside air temperature in dashboard (air intake sensor on MAF is working, I can see that in INPA)
    My DME is not MS42/MS43 but BMS46D1? (only one that doesnt give error in loading INPA)
    Battery voltage shows as 0,0V in INPA. checked out main DME relay, seems legit. (fuel pump etc ok) Is there a cable coming back into DME for this? (all main power for DME is energized)
    I have access to BMW TIS

Below the error report for the battery;

E R R O R M E M O R Y R E P O R T ------------------------------------- Date: 03/14/23 22:09:29 ECU: BMS46DS1 JobStatus: OKAY Variant: BMS46DS1 ------------------------------------------------------------- RESULT: 1 errors in error memory ! ------------------------------------------------------------- 124 Batteriespannung Hauptrelais Error frequency : 1 Logistic counter: 40 Spannung an Klemme 15 12.51 V Kuehlmitteltemperatur 9.75 Grad C Batteriespannung 0.00 V aufgetreten vor (abs. KMZ) 120400.00 km Unterbrechung Fehler momentan vorhanden =========================

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    The -40 is due to the outside temp sensor missing / disconnected- it’s below the right side.

My Cars
    2003 330cic
    Look up the no start guide by 50skid on youtube