My Cars
    2017 bmw x5 40e

Exclamation Gear shift lags when engine is completely cold

I have a 2017 bmw x5 40e hybrid/plugin and when the engine is completely cold especially in the morning when first starting the vehicle and shifting the gear to drive the car will not move. Even pressing the accelerator the engine will rave to 2500-3000 rpm and after 2-3 seconds the gear will engage and move and it does stay like this until the engine worms up. I don’t feel any issues with gears shifting while driving at all in fact it does shift very smoothly.
    once the vehicle is warmed up then the gear acts very normal after stoping and putting Bach in gear.
    I don’t have any codes and no lights on the dash.
    I did a transmission oil and filter change and that made no difference at all.
    someone told me that I might need a transmission software update and another one said it could be the oil temp/pressure sensor.
    has anyone experienced this issue ?

My Cars
    BMW X5 F15 40e 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Nojdar View Post
    I have a 2017 bmw x5 40e hybrid/plugin and when the engine is completely cold especially in the morning when first starting the vehicle and shifting the gear to drive the car will not move. Even pressing the accelerator the engine will rave to 2500-3000 rpm and after 2-3 seconds the gear will engage and move and it does stay like this until the engine worms up. I don’t feel any issues with gears shifting while driving at all in fact it does shift very smoothly.
    once the vehicle is warmed up then the gear acts very normal after stoping and putting Bach in gear.
    I don’t have any codes and no lights on the dash.
    I did a transmission oil and filter change and that made no difference at all.
    someone told me that I might need a transmission software update and another one said it could be the oil temp/pressure sensor.
    has anyone experienced this issue ?
    Me too have been experience this?
    Does anyone have an answer to this?

My Cars
    1989 325ix, 2003 4.4 x5
    It could be low atf fluid that expands once warmed up improving shifting...also I wonder if everyone experiences this...older bmws and probably newer ones have software that encourages holding onto low gears when cold to raise rpm, which puts more heat into the cats sooner, making them operate efficiently sooner and improving emissions. Idk if they would program it to prevent you from taking off from a stop though? Possibly. Once the cats are hot then shifting resumes as normal.

My Cars
    1989 325ix, 2003 4.4 x5
    The more googling I do the more likely I think it's a feature to heat up the cats.