Thread: M62 race engine rebuild, 500 hp @ crank

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3 Coupe EVO

M62 race engine rebuild, 500 hp @ crank

This i my E46 GTR replica race car.
    https://youtu.be/WiWc4F5v1tc
    I also race an Euro E36, check out my channel.

The first engine was 4.5L darton sleeved with CP pistons and Carrillo rods. Revved hard to over 8000. 515HP on crank.
    unfortunately I blew this up when I miss-shifted the dog box from 3 to 2nd by mistake (should have been 4th) and hit 9600rpm. The cranks broke in half and we found a broken journal bolt support in the engine. The pistons/rods and darton sleeves were fine. I decided not to reuse them i the rebuild.

My next engine was 4.4L with Alusil compatible high compression pistons. This revved to 7200 easily. I made custom carbon fibre I intake and trumpets for the S62 ITB. Yes you read that right, my M62 has S62 ITB’s which bolt straight onto the ported M62 heads running racing cam shafts with solid lifter followers. 494 HP at crank.
    That engine blew to bits at 7600rpm while I was testing the new CF plenum and shorter trumpets (velocity stacks). Cylinder #2 conrod broke, putting pieces into space. Either the rods where over tightened during the build opened/or low oil pressure (80psi at 7000 rpm but 18psi at 1200 idle).

I am in the process rebuilding new M62 with Molnar rods (come with asymmetric ARP2000 rod bolts), CP Alusil pistons and ACL race bearings. I will retain the heads but use race valves. The new engine builder will out 3 angles into the valves.
    The M62 crank is forged at factory and is run in a custom dry sump with Peterson pump. Straight exhaust with x pipe in middle with side expedited behind passenger door. 6 speed Holinger H6S with geartronics GCU.
    Bosch M5 ABS protects the Michelin 18”x10 rims.
    awesome car to drive but still needs the KW competition 2-way shocks and springs setup.

My engine builder is fine with me taking photos of the rebuild process and I will post updates here.
    E36 M3 Evo S50B32 dedicated race car, c/f doors and rear wing, fiberglass bonnet Cold air intake. Modified factory ABs by Chipwizzards. ECU chipped at Nuremberg 330HP. Apex wheels. 98octane gas. 1100kg.
    E46 330ci modified to GTR replica kit with 520hp M62B44 race engine, S62 ITBs mated to ported M62 heads. 3D printed velocity stacks inside CF plenum. Peterson dry sump with CraigDavies EWP. Straight exhaust with side exit, catcams with solid lifters and hduty springs, std injectors, high compress 12:1, 100octane gas. Holinger SG3 gearbox controlled by Geartronics GCU. Bosch M5 ABS. Aim MXL2 dash and Smartycam HD, Vbox. Apex wheels. Chromemoly front and rear sway bars. 1200kgs

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Wowsa. Sounds like quite the trials/tribulations! Will have to check out some of your videos. Keep the updates coming,

My Cars
    1994 "532i6", 1998 528iT
    Damn. At what point have you basically reverse-engineered a P60B40?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    More more more more!!

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3 Coupe EVO
    The donor M62B44 engine (215,000 km) was fully stripped to the core today - next step acid wash. Impressively the 8 alusil cylinders are mint - still showing their cross-hatching.

Help needed - can anyone recommend a M62 BMW sales person I can contact at VAC Motorsports - time to order a pile of parts.
    E36 M3 Evo S50B32 dedicated race car, c/f doors and rear wing, fiberglass bonnet Cold air intake. Modified factory ABs by Chipwizzards. ECU chipped at Nuremberg 330HP. Apex wheels. 98octane gas. 1100kg.
    E46 330ci modified to GTR replica kit with 520hp M62B44 race engine, S62 ITBs mated to ported M62 heads. 3D printed velocity stacks inside CF plenum. Peterson dry sump with CraigDavies EWP. Straight exhaust with side exit, catcams with solid lifters and hduty springs, std injectors, high compress 12:1, 100octane gas. Holinger SG3 gearbox controlled by Geartronics GCU. Bosch M5 ABS. Aim MXL2 dash and Smartycam HD, Vbox. Apex wheels. Chromemoly front and rear sway bars. 1200kgs

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3 Coupe EVO
    Just an update on the project. I've been waylayed with small health issue (I now have some fancy stents), and I've also changed the build to an S62 Race engine. I will keep the M62 as a spare.
    Below is a screen shot from my tuner - he did my last M62 engine (the lower lines) and an S62 engine similar to what I will be building.
    The dyno graph shows Flywheel torque BUT RWHP.

S62 vs M62 Race dyno.jpg
    The S62 had slightly worked heads, schrick cams, vanos delete, CP Pistons (Alusil compatible rings), Carrillo conrods from VAC, plus an integrated Dailey Engineering dry-sump kit. It kept the standard intake headers, stacks and exhaust manifold. The S62 in the dyno had minor head porting work done, upgraded injectors, and 3 angle valve job.

My build will be similar but with C/F intake and 3D Printed short velocity stacks with custom straight through exhaust (using X pipe) - so will move HP to higher RPM.

My custom 3D plenum I built last year before the M62 engine blew.
    New intake - complete.jpg

I have measured the different parts of the S62 and compared this to the M62. The M62 Exhaust bolts straight on. My blown M62 already had S62 throttle bodies, and I have installed my custom CF plenum - which fitted straight onto the new S62 (so deck height must be the same). My M62 engine brackets also bolt directly onto the S62 block, likewise my existing M62 lightened flywheel fits.
    I will need to drill the starter motor on the S62 as this must have been from a Lefthand drive car. The M62 bell housing from HOlinger bolted right on too.
    My only challenges are a new cable throttle body bracket and new front pulley/bracket setup for my dry sump.

I believe the S62 engine dimensions will be the same so I think the Holinger gearbox will be fine to using existing chassis mounts too.

The 'road going' S62 cost a bit more to buy than my M62 - so I'm paying that back slowly before getting the parts, so the build process could take a few months.