Thread: 540i Manual Swap - engine tune suggestion needed

My Cars
    540iT6, E39 M5, E61 535i

540i Manual Swap - engine tune suggestion needed

After doing the swap to my 540i wagon, things are generally OK but the original automatic tune has two problems:

• Throttle takes a few seconds to come down from high rpms - no fun
    • Cruise control dis-engages frequently due to the higher rear end ratio than expected for the standard coding

I grabbed a DME from a manual in the junkyard recently, which should help with the throttle response without having to upload any code.

However, I heard a rumor that someone named TerraPhantm hacked the code to make the cruise control work with the higher ratio differential... but his file upload is gone and he has disappeared off the face of the earth (well, off Bimmer Forums anyway). Can anyone help me track down a tune to handle this?

Also, if there are any other engine tune suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I have all the tools such as JM Garage ready to go.

Thanks!

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    What you described is Rev Hang....

You need to code this car as a manual...no shortcuts...AND you need to wire up the cruise control switch on your clutch pedal even if you don't intend to use cruise control

You cannot simply plug in a manual DME..

All this has been covered in detail.

Read Gear Grinders thread on coding an e39 manual swap.

My Cars
    540iT6, E39 M5, E61 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by effduration View Post
    What you described is Rev Hang....

You need to code this car as a manual...no shortcuts...AND you need to wire up the cruise control switch
    Thanks for the reply.

It's all done the right way according to the Gear Grinder thread. The last page of this thread has a few posts from me about these issues.

The cruise sort of works but a tune is required to use the higher ratio rear end from the automatic (which is the same ratio as the limited slip M5 version that I'm going to move from the donor "some day").

The higher ratio was never offered on a 540i manual, which is why a tune is required. Otherwise between like 40 and 70 mph the cruise control works for a few seconds and stops.

I'm not sure how to deal with the Rev Hang but I really hate it and will do whatever it takes to make it stop.
    Last edited by pyite69; 02-27-2023 at 08:23 PM.

JimLev is online now Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    The DME for a 6 speed manual using a 3.15 diff thinks the clutch is starting to slip so it kills the cruise. When I installed the M5 diff it wouldn’t work at all in 5th. On a very smooth road it would work OK in 6th until I hit a bump or went over an expansion joint.
    I had the DME reprogrammed to open up the “slip range” now it works in all gears.

My Cars
    1999 E39 M5

540i Manual Swap - engine tune suggestion needed

Rev hang is due to the car still having an auto DME program.

You need to reprogram the DME with a manual ZB as per Geargrinders step 3:-

Cruise control can be fixed by downloading the bin with https://www.bimmertuningtools.com/pr...72-quickflash/
    and then applying the short diff cruise control fix patch in Tunerpro with this XDF - https://discord.com/channels/6700042...80842128261160

I’ve recently helped [mention]BrewCity11 [/mention], [mention]BlKdOuT [/mention]& [mention]ZillaSlides96 [/mention] program & code their 540i auto to manual swaps.
    Last edited by RosieE39; 02-28-2023 at 04:51 AM.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Quote Originally Posted by RosieE39 View Post
    Rev hang is due to the car still having an auto DME program.
    Yes this is true...OR the cruise switch is not wired in correctly.

It would seem to me if a manual swap is coded correctly and the cruise switch is wired correctly, then you would not have a rev hang even if the DME kills cruise control due to rear diff gearing.

OP - what about installing the correct manual 540i rear diff and getting cruise working properly without rev hang and THEN installing the auto diff?

I had a rev hang on my e39 6 cyl man swap and it drove me nuts until I figured it out...I didn't connect the cruise switch during the swap - once I did, no more rev hang !
    Last edited by effduration; 02-28-2023 at 08:09 AM.

My Cars
    540iT6, E39 M5, E61 535i
    OMG thank you for the kind suggestions. This is exactly what I needed.

I'm reasonably sure the cruise is wired correctly [unless a wire shorted or came loose somewhere], I spent an unimagineable amount of time on this part of the project.

I just got INPA, WinKFP, & JMGarage up and running with my new MS43/ME7.2 virginizing wiring harness yesterday. Armed with the knowledge above it should be a piece of cake from this point.

Thanks again!!

My Cars
    1999 E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by pyite69 View Post

I'm reasonably sure the cruise is wired correctly [unless a wire shorted or came loose somewhere], I spent an unimagineable amount of time on this part of the project.
    You can see whether the clutch switch is working very easily in the status tab in INPA.

My Cars
    540iT6, E39 M5, E61 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by RosieE39 View Post
    and then applying the short diff cruise control fix patch in Tunerpro with this XDF
    The Discord link says I don't have access to any text channels.